Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Working with my HOA to get L2 charging installed... advice on how to make it as cost-efficient as possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All --

I am working closely with my condo's HOA to get two L2 charging stations installed at our property. The Board is going to be very cost-sensitive, and I really want to make sure this project can be approved.

I've been looking at a few options, and so far the two that seem the best that I have come across are Blink (trying to do their hybrid model) OR purchasing 2 Tesla Wall Connectors with Pedestals.

My main questions on the Tesla Wall Connectors are:
  1. Would we be able to make the users of the charger pay for their charge/electricity?
  2. Is access control easy enough? Restrict to certain Teslas, allow other EVs, change to allow all EVs during weekdays, but Teslas on weekend, etc.?
Does anyone have similar experience or other companies to look into? I'd really appreciate any advice!

You can do some access control with the wall connector, but not schedule based. You can track usage, but I don’t know how you would actually bill people.

The question you should be asking is who is going to manage access control, billing, etc? I doubt the HOA will want to deal with any of that, and you’re not going to want to either. I think you should try to keep things as simple as possible if you want to sell the HOA on this.

Upvote 0
If you start restricting to only Tesla’s this is not a good selling point to an HOA! Check out ChargePoint; each user registers and is billed individually (and directly) based on usage. The HOA can even get a cut to cover installation costs and electricity. You can also impose idle fees, etc.

Reactions: Mockingbird
Upvote 0
If you start restricting to only Tesla’s this is not a good selling point to an HOA! Check out ChargePoint; each user registers and is billed individually (and directly) based on usage. The HOA can even get a cut to cover installation costs and electricity. You can also impose idle fees, etc.
Problem with ChargePoint is it’s super expensive. From what I’ve read other EVs can use Tesla Wall Connectors.

Upvote 0
The Tesla web site says that it will happen soon. :rolleyes:

ApartmentsModernize Your Amenities
Enable residents to wake up to a full charge everyday by providing convenient and reliable charging. Property managers will soon be able to seamlessly collect payment for energy consumed.

There is also this thread where one TMC member claims that it's already happening. o_O

Upvote 0
The Tesla web site says that it will happen soon. :rolleyes:

There is also this thread where one TMC member claims that it's already happening. o_O

This is why I’m confused. Website says soon, news from 2 years ago said it launched. I don’t know what to believe

Upvote 0
This is why I’m confused. Website says soon, news from 2 years ago said it launched. I don’t know what to believe
It is confusing. I would suggest contacting Tesla and asking them that question directly. There is an email address on the Commercial charging page. It seems like that would be the most cost effective solution.

Upvote 0
OP should be installing something that is designed to be used by all EVs, not only Tesla.
Generally agree with this point, but Tesla hardware is a fraction of other providers it seems. And if it has built-in network features (like payment processing and the ability to regular who can use it already) then there is $0 annual cost also. It's my understanding with an adapter any EV can use a Tesla Wall Connector.

Upvote 0
Generally agree with this point, but Tesla hardware is a fraction of other providers it seems. And if it has built-in network features (like payment processing and the ability to regular who can use it already) then there is $0 annual cost also. It's my understanding with an adapter any EV can use a Tesla Wall Connector.
In theory, yes, but in reality, no.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Reactions: SCTes1aMan
Upvote 0
Tesla to J-1772 adapters are unofficial products and Tesla doesn't support them. (They may or may not work for certain EVs.)

Let's say that you install these Tesla Wall Connectors and some non-Tesla EV drivers can't use them.

Who is going to pay to remove and replace them?

Are you going to pay to remove and replace them?

Upvote 0
Tesla to J-1772 adapters are unofficial products and Tesla doesn't support them. (They may or may not work for certain EVs.)

Let's say that you install these Tesla Wall Connectors and some non-Tesla EV drivers can't use them.

Who is going to pay to remove and replace them?

Are you going to pay to remove and replace them?

Some of the adapters have bad reviews, many have only good reviews.

But I agree, a native J1772 solution is best. Also, for a short time Tesla offered a J1772 Wall Connector version, I expect they will bring it back “sometime” in the future.

Upvote 0
Some of the adapters have bad reviews, many have only good reviews.

But I agree, a native J1772 solution is best. Also, for a short time Tesla offered a J1772 Wall Connector version, I expect they will bring it back “sometime” in the future.

You are missing the point.

Since this is an unsupported configuration, if something goes wrong, who is going to pay?

I will give you a real example that actually happened.

Someone tried to charge the Lucid Air using the Tesla Wall Connector with a Tesla to J-1772 adapter.

Not only did it not work, but the Tesla Wall Connector is ruined.

So who is going to pay to replace the equipment?

Upvote 0
No I am not missing the point. You made your point and I am offering additional information, at the end of the day the HOA will have to decide on the risks they wish to accept, and the liability placed upon those who use the connector.

BTW, in a lot of the cases the adapter did not work because they did not buy a quality adapter, if you go to the link you will see that some of the adapters have been flagged as not compatible. Or they did not read the instructions, such as

DCAD49BB-103F-461B-A011-83D5D60F477F.jpg

You will also please note I support using a native J1772 approach.

Upvote 0