TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

World's First Battery Powered Ferry

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by Larken, May 22, 2015.

1. Larken

Larken Member

All transport going electric, besides rockets, is Elon's goal. We just got one step closer. Article is new but apparently the ferry's been in use for a few months now.
    Ship Photos of the Day - Worlds First Battery Powered Ferry - gCaptain

(I don't know where this belongs on TMC, but I'm sure many investors will be as excited as I am seeing this :smile:, feel free to move it moderators.)

2. uselesslogin

uselesslogin Enthusiast

So 150 kwh for a crossing and a 10 minute fast charge. Is that a 900kw supercharger they have?

3. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

This is so cool. Note that in addition to 1000kWh of on-board batteries the ferry operator has installed 350kWh stationary battery banks on each pier, because there wasn't enough instantaneous power available to re-charge the ferry's on-board batteries sufficiently in the 10-minute docking window specified in their service contract.

4. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

One of the articles I linked to says they could charge 200 kWh at each landing and the effective charge time is around 9.5 minutes. That suggests the charger is around 1250 kW (or 1.25C).

- - - Updated - - -

And one interesting fact is that of the list of promising crossings for electrification, this particular crossing came 23rd out of 40, due to the weak grid.

Everyone is expecting this ferry to be the first of many.

- - - Updated - - -

Electric crewless cargo ships have also been proposed:

This ship is zero emission and doesn't have any people on board

5. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

It's also interesting to note that in order to keep to the schedule, it's almost more important to get the ferry 'plugged in' and charging than it is to start off-loading the cars.

6. Beckler

Beckler Member

Great! How long is this crossing?

7. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

Hmm. I thought Bjørn went on a small battery-powered ferry in one of his Tesla videos. Admittedly, it was just to cross a river, but IIRC, it was battery-powered and it ferried him across.

8. hobbes

hobbes Active Member

Recently went on a small tourist lake cruise in the Black Forest (Titisee) and was surprised the boat (for 125 people) was so quiet and no exhaust - sure enought, when I asked it was electric. The captain didn´t know anything about the battery tech, but he said they only have to charge at night for multiple trips during the day (half an hour each). Bootsbetrieb Schweizer in Titisee im Schwarzwald

Reading the web site, they have had the boat since 1972. But technically, no ferry ;).

9. Lessmog

Lessmog Member

Also not quite a ferry but a shuttle-boat:
    M/S Sjövägen won Stockholm Regional Coucil's Environment Prize this week as "an innovation applicable within several branches of activities and contributing to reaching the Regional Council's environmental goals".
    Sjövägen

Carries 150 persons, 25 bicycles, 5 prams and 5 wheelchairs across Stockholm's inner waters. Regular bus/train cards are valid. Runs silently on two 125 kW electric motors and a 500 kWh battery pack, powered by 100% green electricity. Hull is optimized for low swell and good ice performance. Sjövägen is a welcome relief to public transportation while the hub Slussen is being rebuilt over the next decade or so.

One of the landing docks, Dalénum, came a bit loose last week, temporarily disrupting traffication, but that's got nothing to do with the boat as such. :rolleyes:

Sjövägen
    (brief in English)
    http://www.sjovagen.nu/getfile.ashx?cid=155743&cc=4&refid=1 (more detailed pdf, in Swedish)

10. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

11. GSP

GSP Member