TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

World's first electrified road for charging vehicles opens in Sweden

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by hiroshiy, Apr 12, 2018.

1. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Supporting Member

2. trace

trace Member

I'd imagine the connector is like a broom and only charges if it's contacting the line correctly.

3. EV_enthu_jp

EV_enthu_jp Member

4. Graffi

Graffi Member

It is interesting that only TESLA and it's Supercharger network is the only practical solution to using Electric on long Cross-Country type driving. Even the TESLA Semi is the only practical Hauling solution.

For all other manufacturers of Electric Vehicles it is up to the user, or some other government agency to find a solution such as the ones above.

I doubt any Tesla owner will use these.

Can you imagine the cost of providing charging solutions above? Longer Range and Superchargers is a much more financially feasible solution. All paid for by Tesla, not government collected taxes.

Just goes to show how our "Public Servants" see themselves as "Public Lords" that are continually looking for new ways to waste money so they can demand more. jmho

• Like x 1
  5. hiroshiy

I'm interested in technical aspects of this implementation, rather than cost effectiveness and/or wide deployment of this technology.

What will happen if the car changes lanes?
    Is the sticking out brush like device physically in contact with the rail on or under the road? Doesn't it wear out?
    Up to what speed can the car drive? If it's going too fast I guess it's going to be difficult for the brush to keep track of the rail.
    Is there any embedded beacon or some kind of magnetic guidance system to keep the vehicle aligned to the rail?
    If someone dropped a lot of sand over the rail, what will happen? How about low temperature and water in the rail froze?
    etc etc...

6. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

#6 malcolm, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    Seems to be a solution in search of a problem.

Private cars spend most of their lives parked and commercial vehicles require minimum break periods for drivers.

• Like x 1
  7. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

Does it ever snow in Sweden?

8. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Is Cat

The whole thing just seems so :rolleyes: to me. It’s like if someone said to me to make a better cake I should stand on my head. :confused:

• Funny x 1
  9. hiroshiy

Ok, it seems everybody here has the same or similar impression to this technology... Even for the feasibility study to charge from the road, this is way too complex and not practical.

10. arg

arg Supporting Member

The manufacturers' site is here:

Elways

Some technical details are given under the "Elways solution" menu item.

It still seems very challenging to make this work with adequate reliability and acceptable cost, but they are taking it seriously and if they do ultimately succeed it could be a significant step forward - especially for trucks and buses.

• Informative x 1
  11. hiroshiy

Thanks @arg , for the link. This is one of their videos.

It seems to generate awful noise, which is understandable. I think long way to go.