Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

World's first electrified road for charging vehicles opens in Sweden

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The contacted power comes from the road.
Sweden’s Electrified Road Is Like A Life-size Scalextric
eRoadArlanda-EV-charging-Electrified-Road-image-1-630x420.jpg

The other idea is power from above the roof.
Traffic Technology Today
4_%20Scania%20truck%20on%20electric%20road.jpg

It is interesting that only TESLA and it's Supercharger network is the only practical solution to using Electric on long Cross-Country type driving. Even the TESLA Semi is the only practical Hauling solution.

For all other manufacturers of Electric Vehicles it is up to the user, or some other government agency to find a solution such as the ones above.

I doubt any Tesla owner will use these.

Can you imagine the cost of providing charging solutions above? Longer Range and Superchargers is a much more financially feasible solution. All paid for by Tesla, not government collected taxes.

Just goes to show how our "Public Servants" see themselves as "Public Lords" that are continually looking for new ways to waste money so they can demand more. jmho

Reactions: Krugerrand
I'm interested in technical aspects of this implementation, rather than cost effectiveness and/or wide deployment of this technology.

What will happen if the car changes lanes?
Is the sticking out brush like device physically in contact with the rail on or under the road? Doesn't it wear out?
Up to what speed can the car drive? If it's going too fast I guess it's going to be difficult for the brush to keep track of the rail.
Is there any embedded beacon or some kind of magnetic guidance system to keep the vehicle aligned to the rail?
If someone dropped a lot of sand over the rail, what will happen? How about low temperature and water in the rail froze?
etc etc...

The manufacturers' site is here:

Elways

Some technical details are given under the "Elways solution" menu item.

It still seems very challenging to make this work with adequate reliability and acceptable cost, but they are taking it seriously and if they do ultimately succeed it could be a significant step forward - especially for trucks and buses.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
The manufacturers' site is here:

Elways

Some technical details are given under the "Elways solution" menu item.

It still seems very challenging to make this work with adequate reliability and acceptable cost, but they are taking it seriously and if they do ultimately succeed it could be a significant step forward - especially for trucks and buses.
Thanks @arg , for the link. This is one of their videos.
It seems to generate awful noise, which is understandable. I think long way to go.