TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Vendor World's First Tesla Digital License Plate

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by Tsportline, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Tsportline

Tsportline Vendor

For Sale in California Only.

Includes 1 year subscription and GPS tracking.

Register, manage and configure/customize your Tesla Digital License Plate all from an App or Web Browser. From the App, you can to manage vehicle registration and renewal, access telematics information, customize plates, and create targeted campaign messaging via an easy-to-use interface. The App creates a smarter, safer and more connected driving experience, allowing you to access valuable data in real-time.

Customize license plates
    The App can transform your default Digital License Plate into customized designs and messages, including support for numerous causes/charities or sporting teams. Two menu options are available, allowing users to select between Images (Logos) and Banners (Messages). Note: additional functionality is available through a web browser.

Subscription Renewal costs $99 a year or $150 for 2 years.

Installation services offered at our local affiliates only in Redwood City, CA and West Hollywood, CA for an additional charge of $360.

Installation takes 2-3 hours.

The Tesla Digital License Plate gets hard wired to a constant 12V power source.

For more product information, visit our website!

2. Koflach

Koflach Member

Is this something that people are actually asking for?

3. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

$1000 upfront and then $99 a year for a car that already has tracking built in. Then registration fees on top of that???

4. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

Yeah I don’t understand the appeal of these digital plates at all. Seems like it’s just for people to want to show off that they can blow $700 plus on a license plate.

5. petemelster

petemelster New Member

It looks cool, but so prone to theft. It's so funny how Tsportline advertises this as theft deterrent. Thieves love to steal interesting things like this.

I also hate the Tsportline logo, so plastering it over the product kills it for me. Any option with no logo?

The $99 a year few is pretty ridiculous too.

6. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Lol to top it off tsportline sells for more go to revo plates to get lower quote if anyone is serious about this

• Like x 2
  7. smak

smak Member

"World's first Model 3 with a plate of spaghetti attached to the frunk"

See how easy it is to put "World's first" in the title.

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  8. smak

smak Member

I think they are great, except not for $700, and not for a huge subscription fee.

Imagine a Green EV badge showing up on your license plate, instead of ugly stickers, or handicap badging.

Also having your year automatically updated.

But certainly not for that price. I paid $22 for my HOV stickers. That can easily pay for a year of LTE use for something barely ever used.

9. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

Not a problem for me. Thankfully NJ stopped putting stickers on license plates over two decades ago :D

10. rdlink

rdlink Member

Wow. This is laughably ridiculous.

But the idea has potential. What is manufacturers were to build in small LED screens in the bumpers of the cars, and you could electronically register your car with whichever state you're in? No more waiting at the DMV.

11. Trevor B

Trevor B Member

• Love x 1
  12. djplong

djplong Member

Nobody has yet EVER answered the question as to how the fool and his money got together in the first place!

• Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  13. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Interesting. May be interested once they integrate the HOV stickers and figure out a way to not require hardwired power source. Why not solar? As for price, all new gadgets start out expensive. Just a matter of time before price is lowered.

14. smak

smak Member

$150 and $10 a year. Different plates are already $50

15. sperkin

sperkin Member

#15 sperkin, Jul 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    I saw this on the weekend and was wondering what it was. He had a special color plate that I never seen before and it was pretty cool. He made the plate color black to match his car and the numbers white. Usually a black plate in CA has yellow numbers.

Also, seems like this will be used in the future as a way to start tracking EV mileage so CA can tax us on how much we drive. This is probably one of the reason CA allows this type of plate as a test.

16. liuping

liuping Active Member

#16 liuping, Jul 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    For $798 + $360 installation, they should include more than one year of service...

Digital License Plates Roll Out In California

The NPR story has a video of a very similar plate, but it's cheaper and apparently does not need permanent power, and is self installable.

17. Tsportline

Tsportline Vendor

18. Ejl80

Ejl80 Supporting Member

This is seriously one of the worst ideas I've ever seen. :eek:

• Like x 3