TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

World's largest thermal solar power plant

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by David99, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Zapped

Zapped Model S - PURE EV

I drove by there with the Model S on the way to Vegas, November 2014. It was operational since September.

Amazing to see right off the highway just before PRIM

No cooling tower, no smoke stack, no tail pipe just like the TESLA.:smile:

2. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

That is very impressive. Now what can we come up with for the rest of the country? Weather / Land for that installation is great for deserts, so CA, AZ, NM etc. we still need a breakthrough in fusion, for other areas.

Btw, take the tour and watch the videos: BrightSource Ivanpah | Proven Leadership in Solar Energy

3. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

#4 VolkerP, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    Thermal solar, as all thermal power plants, requires cooling of the "work medium" after it passes thru the steam turbines. The ABENGOA plant in Spain uses evaporating cooling towers. How does the Ivanpah plant work? From the pictures I think there is some cooling installed atop of the power house.
    Using water evaporators as cooling is a significant water usage, which can be a problem in dry areas.

Edit: found it in English wikipedia article:

4. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

#5 stevezzzz, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    I saw these plants from 35,000' last month en route to SoCal from Denver. We passed to the south at midday and it looked like miniature suns shining on the desert floor.