Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worldwide Porsche GT3 recall

Oct 9, 2013
Iowa
Yeah, I just saw this too. They don't know what caused the fires, but it was not involved in any accident and thankfully no one has gotten hurt.

TexasEV

Jun 5, 2013
Austin, TX
New York Times had 5 paragraphs about Tesla fires at the end of it's article on Tesla's earnings today. Let's see how many paragraphs Porsche gets.

J1mbo

Aug 20, 2013
UK
Top Gear in the UK has covered this extensively (one of the presenters had his GT3 recalled - they gave him some Porsche branded oven gloves...)

AlMc

'When the music is on...you gotta dance' (Go Elon)
Apr 23, 2013
Delaware
Porsche identifies engine fire cause
"Engineers discovered that the fires were caused by a loose rod inside the engine. The loose rod caused damage that then allowed lubricating oil to leak out and ignite."

http://money.cnn.com/2014/03/18/autos/porsche-911-gt3-engine-replace/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

The mechanic who does my alignments is deeply connected with Porsche. His information is that a bracket (not made by Porsche) that supported the oil pump would break spewing oil onto the hot engine resulting in the fire. Not being a mechanic I do not know the specific hardware that failed but he said it was a very simple piece of hardware that failed, resulting in the problem.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC