Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worn ignition cylinder DIY replacement and re-key.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At about 20,000 miles, my original ignition cylinder is about worn out. It has been getting increasingly difficult both turn on the car and remove the key, so I figured before I got stuck somewhere I would replace it.
When looking to source parts, I came across a matching Vauxhall replacement cylinder, manufactured by Febi(#02748), which is the same dimensions as the one in our Roadster.
Since I knew I wanted to use my existing key, I looked at for a good instructional video on how to re-key the new one to match my existing key. The video is here:
Lots of good tips in the video. I found out that when putting my inserts into the cylinder during the re-key, two things occurred: first, two of the OEM inserts were too wide to fit into the Febi housing without binding. Luckily I was able to use some of the Febi inserts in their place to ensure smooth operation. Second, when I was inserting the inserts into the new housing, the springs remained in the cylinder and I was able to insert the entire sequence, then squeeze them into the cylinder with thumb/forefinger, then insert the key.
For removal/ replacement, I used this page:

A few things:
Do you only need to remove the mirror half of the steering column to do this job.
Since I reused my original inserts, I cleaned them with mineral spirits and gave them a LIGHT coating of thin grease- think Vaseline in consistency.
When releasing the cylinder from the housing, I found a 2 mm hex key worked well for both releasing the cylinder and pressing down the steering lock tab as seen on the wiki page.
When you release the cylinder using the 2 mm key, make sure to have your hand over the cylinder so it doesn’t shoot out of the steering column. Ask me how I know.
If you’re done any sort of mechanical work. If I hadn’t been distracted by my family while I was doing it it would’ve probably been a 45 minute job from start to finish.
$18 later, it sure is nice to have a key that turns and pulls out smoothly!

19AC8C6A-4FD9-4DDE-9EB3-2593CAE787B8.jpeg5DEEC42F-9074-47C4-8638-FAE3B58C6154.jpeg8374A218-9EC5-40BE-984A-C9C251D255E0.jpeg3CA817AC-02BC-4B9F-B0B0-9D758BECE8C8.jpeg319CBE46-39AB-4E7F-ABF2-F94AEB0B60BA.jpeg

Last edited:
My replacement decision was made because the cylinder was becoming more difficult to turn and it was becoming more difficult to pull the key out.
I bought the car at 13k. Not sure how heavy the POs keyring was. Mine’s light.
Some more info here, esp about the 1.5s:

@Steve in SLO
Where exactly did you order the part from? You can private message me if you'd prefer. or call me at 608-729-4082
I am in Wisconsin, USA
I only found 1 listing on ebay and it comes from Latvia and is ~27 with shipping. Takes several weeks to arrive.

So the Febi you ordered came with its own key? And then you emptied its contents, and then reinserted your original cylinder's wafers, right?
(Except for the 2 that were too wide. Those, you were able to find similar ones from the Febi.)

I'd buy it from Tesla if I could.
I have left message with their parts department but didn't get a response.

The numbers stamped in this 1.5 ignition is
GM
260 340 41
260 340 40
The tailpiece broke off. If you look carefully in the pic you can see the shiny sheared off part inside the spring.

Attachments

• 1.5 lock.jpg
    1.5 lock.jpg
    677.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 1.5 lock body in situ.jpg
    1.5 lock body in situ.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
@EV Powers: all your impressions of my post are correct. I ordered mine from Amazon but this item is currently out of stock. Just did a guick Google search and found the proper Febi part (02748) on Trodo.com. They are in the EU, but they offer DHL worldwide express, which should be pretty quick. It took me about two weeks to get mine but my cylinder was still working so it was no big deal for me.
Good luck and feel free to contact me if you need help with the process.