Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worried about round trip distance in the cold, please help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I am making a trip from mentor, oh to Sandusky, oh and back. I looked it up and it's about 95 miles each way. Its supposed to be 10 degrees on Saturday and I have a 2017 model S 75D. Theoretically I have enough miles but due to the cold I've been getting really low mileage. Also I will be stopping in Sandusky for a few hours so the cold will be cold again when I go to drive home. Unfortunately, there's no super chargers in the route. There is a destination charger between here and there but I know those can charge slow. Do you guys think I'll be okay regardless? Any tips for making the trip?

I would say it is going to be touch and go even if your hypermile. You cannot afford to take that risk on a cold day. Think of what if scenarios of even a 15 minute backup, will put you in jeapordy because of energy needed to heat the cabin for a longer time. Maybe doable with no cabin heating, but with 10F can you afford that?

I'm confused. Mentor to Sandusky looks to me to run right through the Cleveland metro area - which means you have the Cleveland Service center Supercharger if the hours work out - and the Macedonia Supercharger isn't a huge detour. The Sheffield location that's been under construction for a month or so would be perfect for your trip, if it was operational.

Is there a possibility of putting the car on a charger while you're in Sandusky? That'd make things fairly easy...

For driving in very cold winter conditions, I assume energy consumption to be 1.4 to 1.6 times higher. On a recent 4000 mile road trip through cold winter conditions my average energy consumption was aprox 400 Wh per mile. 300 Wh/mile is roughly rated range, so it was about 1.3 times more energy used that rated range. But that was constant driving, and going from Supercharger to Supercharger where the battery is nice and warm. Parking your car over night will require a good amount of energy to warm up again. Battery and cabin heating really eats up energy. Definitely try to find a way to charge your car. You do not want to push it with a low battery in the cold.

Reactions: jerry33
For driving in very cold winter conditions, I assume energy consumption to be 1.4 to 1.6 times higher. On a recent 4000 mile road trip through cold winter conditions my average energy consumption was aprox 400 Wh per mile. 300 Wh/mile is roughly rated range, so it was about 1.3 times more energy used that rated range. But that was constant driving, and going from Supercharger to Supercharger where the battery is nice and warm. Parking your car over night will require a good amount of energy to warm up again. Battery and cabin heating really eats up energy. Definitely try to find a way to charge your car. You do not want to push it with a low battery in the cold.

That's interesting. Heating up the cabin and pack initially is brutal, but after the first half hour or so I usually find my consumption settles down to only about 10% higher than it is in good weather I wear long sleeves and keep the heat in the mid-60s and use seat heaters usually (because the radiative transfer from the huge X window makes you feel pretty cold if your arms are bare.)

Hi Kholy,

It's a shame there are so few on I-80 in Ohio.

I would suggest checking with the Tesla Dealer/Service Center in Cleveland.
Just after you are underway and the car is warm - perhaps they could top you off,
a coffee, and a doughnut and you are on your way.
I think they have a light crew on Saturday. Double check, they might be able to help.

It would be even better if they were available on your return home..

Shawn

So unfortunately I don't want to worry about plugging in at Sandusky. Im meeting a friend and I don't want it to become a hassle that I would have to park elsewhere. Even if I have to sit for an hour somewhere in Cleveland I would rather do that to make sure I got back okay

Plugshare shows three charging stops in Sandusky (I'm assuming Ohio). Two of the three have Tesla HPWCs and the other is a 14-50. Google maps shows the distance is about 65 miles each way (or 75 the long way). There are also a few EVSEs along I-90 so if you run low you could stop at one of those to pick up a few miles. If you are taking Hwy 6, there is one in the centre of the trip where you could pick up a few miles (just a regular pubic type charger), and there is one home charger as well.

So unfortunately I don't want to worry about plugging in at Sandusky. Im meeting a friend and I don't want it to become a hassle that I would have to park elsewhere. Even if I have to sit for an hour somewhere in Cleveland I would rather do that to make sure I got back okay

You could charge before or after meeting him (after would actually be slightly preferable since it would also warm you battery and car). You'll have more than enough charge to get to Sandusky, meet your friend, and charge afterward.

and you need to make sure that those slow chargers are actually working, and how you would check that - I dont know.
That CHAdeMO charger (on I-90 at Walmart) is an EVGo charger so you could presumably look it up on the EVGo site. The hotel HPWCs are 2 at the Holiday Inn and 1 at the other resort. Chances of all three being out are slim (I've used many destination chargers and haven't ever had an issue with them not working). What I would do is charge before heading back after you've left your friend, rather than interrupt your visit.