Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worried New Owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
long story short. I own a CPO 16 Model S 70D with about 42,000 on it. In 15 months of ownership I have had three door handles break, had connectivity issue after issue with the radio and phone unit which they upgraded to the 4g LTE after nine months which solved about 95% of my problems but the latest thing gives me the most worries.

I was on a trip with my three young children last weekend about 250 miles from home when I got the SERVICE REQUIRED OR CAR MAY NOT RESTART! Warning. Car towed to shop and left on Sunday and we drove home in a Kia minivan. Turns out it was a fault in the battery coolant heater which was exacerbated by the supercharging. They are fixing it and checking the rest of the electrical but here’s my worry. Yes I’m under warranty but I won’t be forever. I’ve had five things break on me in 15 months with low miles and I’m really beginning to question the dependability of this vehicle. So much so I don’t even want to take it on the highway now.

Anyone else have multiple issues? How did you get over the fear of actually traveling? The safety and comfort of my family is my greatest concern when traveling...thus my concern of reliability. Thank you in advance for your insight into my concern.

I love my S and X, leased both (brand new) yet both have had a fair amount of issues.
I would never own these cars w/o warranty and that’s why I leased them, as soon as the lease is done I return the car and move onto a newer Tesla or else for that matter.
It is worth noting I was going to buy a CPO and after doing lots of research I deceived against it and went with leasing.

The door handles are easy to fix. The gear is $1.18 at dealer. Takes 4 tools and 2 hours. You can change 12v battery. Brake pads.
The rest is impossible. I will buy new one when my 8 yr warranty runs out.
The door gear isn’t the same as the door rollers is it? What broke on mine on all three is a little dual roller mechanism that has a metal donut around some swivel pins. It was the bottom half of both metal donuts and they were beyond repair. Have you had any major problems with yours?