Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worried

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You will always see the worst on the internet as the majority of people are quick to say when things go wrong but not when they go right. I got my M3P almost a year to the day and unfortunately due to COVID I've only racked up 34k miles. It's not been perfect, I had door seals not correctly attached when I picked it up, condensation in a rear light and I took it in to have the brakes checked. I've never been let down unlike in the Audi, BMW and Mercedes I've had over recent years. The service has always been very good and friendly. The car is a dream to drive, cost to run is very little. I've put a set of 18 inch alloys on it and filled the washer fluid up 3 times and the charging has cost me around £1700 but I've only just got a smart meter activated and I'm guessing that would have been in the region of £500-600 had I had it fitted sooner. The car is not showing any signs of wear inside and only has a few stone chips on the front, it's also much better now than it was when new in terms of features, performance, safety... if you do have any issues on delivery they will sort them for you, just make sure you log them on the app. Don't worry and enjoy the (s)miles every day :)

I'm not going to add much to everything above except to say that I'm another where the whole experience has been excellent...

The Service Centre sales staff, communication prior to delivery & a car that was very close to perfect, minor issues fixed promptly by the SC & a Ranger visit (how many other car manufacturers send someone to your home?)

The car has been outstanding since & is a joy to own and drive.

Wouldn't worry about it. Yes mine was damaged on arrival today, looks like it was driven into something on its journey over here, but it's already booked into service in a few weeks. Apart from that everything else is perfect. I spent a few hours going over the paintwork and interior and everything looks fine. Maybe one or two of the panel gaps could be better, but I've seen worse on BMWs and Mercs.
It's an awesome car, the launch from standstill hurts and makes the kids scream. "do that again"

I'm now a year in with my Model 3 and My brother is on his 4th Tesla. Both early adopters across the S X and 3 so we've both hit a lot of issues including
S - Trim and interior issues, panel alignment, motor replacement
X - Drive shaft replaced, Speed sensor wire cut by wheel, seat cutting through wiring harness.
3 - panel alignment, warped bumper, misaligned spoiler, front loom water ingress, paint issues, cracked rear glass, water in rear lights and side cameras.
Now that may not sound promising, but none of them have actually stranded either of us. The rapid iterative design Tesla use now means that they can resolve issues quickly. For example the second Model S my brother bought had none of the issues of the first, and most of the issues we hit with the 3 now seem to be mostly resolved (other than cosmetic ones).
My brother owns (and has owned) a LOT of cars including Mercedes, Audis, BMW's, Lexus, Rangerover, Jag etc and when he was asked the other day if he had the money back, what would be buy and he said "the same one"
The majority of service figures you see for Tesla can't be compared against other makes as most of them are for cosmetic work that just about every other automaker resolves BEFORE handing over to a customer rather than after like Tesla. It's an odd way round to do it, but that's what they do and as long as you know that up front you shouldn't have a problem with it.
So the only slight pain for you is the nearest service centre to you is Milton Keynes and there's about a 20% chance you'll need to drop it in for some cosmetic work if a ranger can't come out and do it. Other than that I'd say you're less likely to have a real issue with a Tesla than many other car makes.

we just got rid of wife's 66 plate Golf GTI as it had rattle galore that VW couldn't fix, and had a failed water pump / thermostat leaking coolant out all over the place at 32k miles. Luckily for us we had 3 weeks of approved used warranty left but it was a lemon.

There's no such thing as guaranteed reliability, but it is certainly very odd with Tesla to experience a car where PDI type stuff gets fixed after delivery.

p.s. the Golf also had a noticeable 5" paint scratch having come out of VW's supposed 136-point approved used check or whatever they do - apparently that passed their "PDI" too.

You will, most likely, be fine.

I picked up yesterday from one of the final batches of the quarter. Other than a missing type 2 cable (rectified with an apology within minutes) and a handful of trim issues (logged on the app... I think correctly!) The car has been fantastic.

As for the trim issues, I wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't looking carefully.

I came from a fiesta though so...

• Funny
Reactions: Rustybkts and m3gt2