Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worry about leaking from windshield of model y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20200619_104849.jpg
This is my model y, lower passenger side windshield picture. Can you see the big gap between windshield and black plastic cover? You see through white metal body and end of it, can see "motor" room inside. It seems that water may go inside directly while washing or raining.
I asked Tesla service, but they say it's totally fine... But... Is it OK? Anybody have any opinions, please tell me...
20200619_104832.jpg

That's the one I'm going to try after I return my model y from Tesla Service... but it is scary to put some water in there because you can see inside "electronic motor" room directly. Should I trust Tesla Service?I've never gotten this kind problem from other type of cars I ever had..

That's one of the issues why I returned my car. I was concerned that water would leak into the "engine/motor" area. And same as you, I could see straight into the compartment through the gap. I can deal with misalignment here and there but no way am I taking the risk on water leaks.

Attachments

• 20200616_002730.jpg
    20200616_002730.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Maric and Snerruc
Returned it?... then this gap could be serious problem? Or Tesla didn't say anything about this to you?

They didn't really ask why I was returning the car, and all I said was because of fitment issues and didn't go into specifics. I don't think there's anything they could have said that would've put my mind at ease because I knew it didn't look right, especially if I can look through the gap and see the insides of the car. And I'm sure it would cause wind noise as well. Before I returned it I checked my other four cars just to compare (MDX, RDX, 2 priuses) and all are completely sealed around the windshield.

When I go to the Tesla Service to pick up my car, I will pour some water into the gap in front of those Tesla guys!! Then they explain it for me... If there is problem, I will return it because it still less than 100 miles...

Reactions: Mr. James
If you poke a thin wire through the gap, how far down does it go and what does it hit? Can water get into the cabin under pressure I wonder? Unsealed windshields, and several cases above is very worrying. There is another case (with video on this forum) where water pours into the cabin at the front headliner from an unsealed top glass and/or windshield.

If you poke a thin wire through the gap, how far down does it go and what does it hit? Can water get into the cabin under pressure I wonder? Unsealed windshields, and several cases above is very worrying. There is another case (with video on this forum) where water pours into the cabin at the front headliner from an unsealed top glass and/or windshield.
Do you remember any keyword for the case with video? I want to watch it!!!!

Everything was ok. I did aim the water in that area as I normally do to rinse out soap bubbles. I wasn't aware at the time so didn't look for any trouble signs.
That's GOOD news anyway...
When I check inside my car through the frunk and opend the plastic cover (upper side of plastic cover which covered washer fluid cap), I found some fabric stuff (that Tesla attached inside white metal body) right under the gap...
If water keep soaking the fabric, it might be bad smell or some mold...
But I'm not sure water can be reached to there or not, anyway I will find out next Monday.

This is downright embarrassing. I've owned two teslas so far, and was very interested in the Y, but these build quality issues are just inexcusable. It would be ridiculous for a Toyota Yaris, let alone a car that costs over 40K more. Just absolutely absurd. I know Tesla gets a lot of unnecessary and unwarranted hate, but this is definitely warranted. I've never seen sooooo many issues plague a car before.