Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worst built car ever (my model X)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have bought base model Honda civics and accords with less issues and all cost about 10% of what I paid for this car.
Hi Brian, I have replied to you on Facebook,

But I wouldn't compare the issues that you're having with Honda Civics, Accords etc. Those cars don't have anywhere near the kind of tech that the Model X has.

I understand that paying so much for a car, you feel that you should have a perfect car (and I agree), but its not a fair comparison.

My Facebook post is attached below:

Hi Brian,

Sorry to hear about your issues. Who is your Service Advisor and at which Service Center? I know almost everyone at Costa Mesa, and are slowly getting familiar with everyone at Buena Park because they are so less busy.

I've had my Signature Model X since March, and my other 2 Xes since early April, so I've been around the block a few times.

Regarding the issues you're having:

-Falcon door alignment at day #1

I would recommend bringing this up with Service Advisor. I had issues with two of my Xes (I have 3), where they replaced a lot of parts, even sent it to a Body shop to get it realigned. The other issue may be the chrome moulding, get them to replace this.

-driver window making loud noise from not sealing (replaced small window)

This is just an alignment issue. Make sure you go with the technician for a test drive to show them this issue. You deserve a silent X, like the rest of us. :)

-spoiler squeak (replaced spoiler first week of ownership).

I've had this, they removed the spoiler and did some work to it. It no longer squeaks and has been perfect ever since. I've since put 15k+ miles on my Sig X, and my other Xes have about 30k miles on them.

-all windows squeaking (still a problem)

This is the belt mouldings that need to be replaced. Do you see streaks on your windows?

- problems with charge port not opening

Is this when you press the button on the Charge Cable? or when you tap on the Charge Port Door?

- seat rail plastic cover falling off

Needs replacement, I've had this on 2 of my Xes

-SEVERE shaking upon full accelaerarion only (normal driving at any speed is fine. Just noticeable under full acceleration and most noticeable at lower speeds). This started after 2 wks of ownership.

This is the Axles. I'm getting all 4 of mine replaced this week or next week hopefully.

-problem with passenger door not closing with push button
- driver fender piece popping out randomly and having to push it in.
-passenger front wheel well piece being loose and improperly installed at factory.
- falcon door squeaking
-door trim sticking out and popping off

Bring these up with technicians, there are usually reasons for this. They will replace whatever parts they need to to stop this

Well, "worst built car"? Worse than the Trabant? The Renault Dauphine? (I owned a 1959 one. Oil change every 1500 miles, 0-60 in about 24 seconds. It even came with a crank.)

I had a Grand Cherokee that randomly would just refuse to recognize the key. And a Ford where in three years the master brake cylinder leaked, the muffler fell off, the fuel system sprayed raw gas on the engine compartment, the wiper motor failed, and the headliner delaminated.

I understand your unhappiness, but these are minor fit and adjustment problems.

hmm.. sucks to have those problems but the comparisons to other vehicles just don't match up. i really don't think there is another vehicle out there with as much tech as a Tesla.

i made a similar rant with my honda accord but wouldn't compare it to a Tesla or any high end car for that matter. in my opinion hondas suck and that's only based on the 2 i've owned. definitely not saying they are the worst cars ever built because i haven't owned or driven every car that was ever built to accurately make that statement.

i have an X and other than 1 issue with the FWDs that was taken care of on the spot it's a great car and i will never get rid of it. of course our opinions of best and worst cars ever being built is completely subjective.

so, you have a bad experience with a flawed model and therefore it's the worst car ever in the history of cars? that way of thinking just isn't logical.

i do hope you get your issues resolved though because they are truly great cars. i don't think any of the "big 3" manufacturers can say that 100% of their vehicles have come off the production line 100% perfect in every way. there have been so many recalls it's crazy.

Reactions: gravity
Well, "worst built car"? Worse than the Trabant? The Renault Dauphine? (I owned a 1959 one. Oil change every 1500 miles, 0-60 in about 24 seconds. It even came with a crank.)

I had a Grand Cherokee that randomly would just refuse to recognize the key. And a Ford where in three years the master brake cylinder leaked, the muffler fell off, the fuel system sprayed raw gas on the engine compartment, the wiper motor failed, and the headliner delaminated.

I understand your unhappiness, but these are minor fit and adjustment problems.

All good examples! But what was the cost on those cars with fit issues when compared to a $150k vehicle?

Reactions: xav-
No surprises, all of these issues have been covered from A-Z for the last 7 months.
Options are:
1.Sell car or ask for a refund ASAP.
2. Spend the next 4 months of your life pleading for repairs which they will ultimately do but other problems will continue for the life of the car.
3. Be happy don’t worry.
I picked number 2 but in retrospect wish I would have gone with 1 or 3. Another option is to get the cheaper version for about half price of your current car. Enjoy the electric car with FWD’s and don’t worry about crappy build.

You should probably keep your comparisons to only SUV/Crossovers that do 0-60 in less than 4 sec to be fair.

All of your problems will eventually be fixed although it does suck to have so many.

On a different not x-ing out the first letters in a VIN doesn't disguise anything since they are just code for the car maker and model.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby and davidc18
My friends have had Aston Martins, Ferrari's and Lamborghini's.. and some have had to lemon law them. Price means nothing. Tesla service will make it right and this has been my experience and many other Tesla owners' experience.

If you really feel the car is that bad, lemon law it. You threatening with class action probably doesn't help your case.

I haven't taken delivery of my X yet. I think it was built at the end of March. It's at the SC now. I am tempted to cancel and get a MS or keep my trouble-free Mercedes-Benz. I have never owned a lemon. (Scared, but I do love the Tesla technology.)

I cannot imagine that you would not qualify under your state's lemon law.

Reactions: davidc18
Sorry to hear about these issues which are inexcusable! New car co., new model, high tech etc.....are just excuses. Tesla seems to have improved on the fit/finish problems but some still get thru inspection. With the Model 3 coming , if it isn't perfect the SC's are going to be chaotic

Reactions: davidc18
I haven't taken delivery of my X yet. I think it was built at the end of March. It's at the SC now. I am tempted to cancel and get a MS or keep my trouble-free Mercedes-Benz. I have never owned a lemon. (Scared, but I do love the Tesla technology.)

scared of getting a lemon? that should be the feeling when buying any car. lol. when i picked up my X just 3 weeks ago i had with me a detailed checklist to go over and i made sure everything worked. even took it on a test drive before i accepted delivery and signed for it, just like you would any other car purchase.

All good examples! But what was the cost on those cars with fit issues when compared to a $150k vehicle?
Not relevant. If your focus is fit and finish, buy a Toyota. You are paying $150 k for a practical high performance electric crossover with advanced technology. You got that - you are not having motor, autopilot, or battery issues.

Those real issues do happen too. You can find owners who had contactor, sensor, or other failures. Tesla replaced many model S motors for a bearing issue, for example.

But I suggest you keep perspective. And avoid overstating the case, as in "worst car ever".

Dont base your decisions on a few comments. There are thousands of flawless Model x's out there.

Reactions: Ormond