Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worst built car ever (my model X)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back to repairs.

Tesla needs parts inventory.

Waiting weeks is unacceptable for a door seal that is attached with double stick foam tape.

Parts designed like that are failing to stay attached and need replacement.

Ouch, that sucks. Consumer reports reliability ratings pretty much say all you need to know about Model X build quality.

btw, what is up with your sig? You expect people to PM you permission to link your posts? Really?

Reactions: Eclectic
Ouch, that sucks. Consumer reports reliability ratings pretty much say all you need to know about Model X build quality.

btw, what is up with your sig? You expect people to PM you permission to link your posts? Really?
That signature was pushed on us last January when the first reports of Model X quality caused concern by some nervous forum members. They were very pleased when I added that signature.

In reality, my Model X build has been good for the drive train and chassis. The early cars were built slowly and carefully. It was fit and finish issues and the recalled rear seats that caused early repair visits. Those were repaired quickly.

Things went downhill with the replacement of the top appliqué that got scratched by a closing garage door and a falcon wing door seal that had shifted at the lower corner. The SC made errors in the installation of both replacement parts causing a reorder of parts to take place. It would be no problem if parts were available in days. When it took weeks, then the repair waits extended out to unacceptable months of a vehicle parked for parts. I am still waiting...

Reactions: davidc18 and mmd
So I just put a deposit for a 3 years lease on a Model X, and I'm in the 7 days when I can withdraw the application.

I selected a P90D. So should I expect getting issues over issues even if delivery will be at best Mid-December, or should I take the quality issues lighter since it's a lease and eventually Tesla will "own" its error?

I have read with posts in several forums here, and I'm concerned I cannot "trust" the car (it will act by itself) when I won't have time for its shenigans.
At the same time, lots of owners are really please with the car itself, just annoyed by the quality.

So I keep reading and get depressed, or I ignore the warnings becasue afterall it's a lease?

Back to repairs.

Tesla needs parts inventory.

Waiting weeks is unacceptable for a door seal that is attached with double stick foam tape.

Parts designed like that are failing to stay attached and need replacement.
This, I believe, is the downside to Tesla updating so many parts so quickly. How do they stock a part at the local service center when it gets changed so often? Which version of the part do they stock? That door seal may have gone through 5 revisions since it was first released.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Cowby and Mark Z
This, I believe, is the downside to Tesla updating so many parts so quickly. How do they stock a part at the local service center when it gets changed so often? Which version of the part do they stock? That door seal may have gone through 5 revisions since it was first released.
I think most revisions are backwards compatible, so they only need to stock the latest version (e.g. seals, latches, etc.). Larger design changes (like seats, trim, etc.) would be required to match the original, so they would need to probably have them custom made at factory.

These needed repairs don't seem to make the car undriveable but perhaps I'm missing something?
Model X still drives, but it now leaks. (I have garaged the vehicle during the wait.) The falcon wing door seal located on the car body must be installed properly. The replacement seal was jammed towards the vehicle roof center rather than placed at the edge drop. The result is water flowing over the seal directly into the car during rain or car wash. The water is to flow behind the seal and channel down towards the bottom of the door opening..

The seals have been updated and have additional holes and firm spacers inside the seal for the door.

My service center has spent weeks trying to locate replacement seals and status previous requests. The SC wrote today. My Model X replacement seals are being shipped from Norway.

The updating, IMHO, is one of reasons for the parts not being in stock. Tesla wouldn't want to be stuck with a lot of old parts that are no longer usable. The benefit of the wait is getting the newer revised parts that improve the operation of the vehicle.

In this case, it costs me depreciation waiting for the part. However, the current owner and future buyer will enjoy a better car.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby and Ormond
So far, I've been very fortunate with my X - just a running light replacement and a lube of the spoiler were the only reasons I've visited the SC. But through this whole experience, starting with the deposit I paid in Nov 2013, I've been mindful of the advice my father gave me in the early '70's - never buy a car in the first year after its introduction. Let the factory work out the production/quality issues in that first year, then buy the car. It applied to GM/Ford/Chrysler back then, and I guess it applies to Tesla today. But I'm glad I didn't wait to get my X!!

So I just put a deposit for a 3 years lease on a Model X, and I'm in the 7 days when I can withdraw the application.

I selected a P90D. So should I expect getting issues over issues even if delivery will be at best Mid-December, or should I take the quality issues lighter since it's a lease and eventually Tesla will "own" its error.

So I keep reading and get depressed, or I ignore the warnings becasue afterall it's a lease?

I'm in a similar position. I'm leasing and my delivery is days away. Do I cancel and lose my deposit? I won't get the latest hardware. I could re-order or hope for a December inventory sale on a Model S or X. I'm leasing for two years.

I had no idea that Norway was the center of global replacement seal production. :0
Don't you live in CA? How is this even an issue? ;)
Norway is one of Tesla's largest markets. They may have the only cache of spare parts that no one has raided, until now.

We had rain recently. Cars must be washed as well. It's been best to leave it garaged until this is taken care of so everything stays dry.

There are only a total of about, what - 100,000 Model S's? It's quite likely there are in fact only 3 deaths. In fact there have been a number of car makes/models with zero deaths:

Study: 9 car models had zero traffic deaths
Not sure the folks that put this list together did their homework;
" .... the Warners' 2010 Honda Odyssey was rear-ended at 55 miles an hour. Taylor was in her car seat behind her father.

"I thought maybe she had just fallen asleep. And then when I looked and I noticed there was blood coming out of her face, I knew that something else was wrong," said Liz Warner.

That something was her father's seat back. It broke after collapsing on impact and struck Taylor in the face, killing her.

NHTSA standards fail to protect from car seat fatalities, experts say