Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worst built car ever (my model X)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my model X P90DL late August. Have had nothing but problems! Having spent $148k on a car that feels cheaper then a Toyota Corolla, I can't even express my frustrations with how poorly built my model X is. I chose the mode x over a Porsche 911 turbo, - MB GL 63 AMG, and a few other cars. This was the most expensive car I have ever purchased and it is by far the worst built car ever. No way I would buy this car again! I am just wondering if anyone has been able to successfully return their car? I am speaking to 2 attorneys and considering filing a class action law suite against Tesla. It seems like every time I take my car i am told "Tesla knew about this problem in production". I know it is a new model and I have owned several first year models (including a 2009 GTR). None had the problems I am having. I appreciate any advice and help you all may be able to offer specially those who have successfully replaced or returned their vehicles! This car is my wife's car and she is quite upset. Here are my list of issues:
-Falcon door alignment at day #1
-driver window making loud noise from
Not sealing (replaced small window)
-spoiler squeak (replaced spoiler first week of ownership).
-all windows squeaking (still a problem)
- problems with charge port not opening
-problem with passenger door not closing with push button
- falcon door squeaking
- driver fender piece popping out randomly and having to push it in.
-passenger front wheel well piece being loose and improperly installed at factory.
- seat rail plastic cover falling off
-door trim sticking out and popping off
-SEVERE shaking upon full accelaerarion only (normal driving at any speed is fine. Just noticeable under full acceleration and most noticeable at lower speeds). This started after 2 wks of ownership.

I have a few other items also but just sick of bugging my service manager.

Very much regret getting this car and in all honesty, no way I can recommend this car to anyone and no way I would get this car again....specially at $148k and at best feels like a $10k car!

I am just hoping someone out there can understand my anger and frustration and provide me with some guidance. I have lost all faith in Tesla and will be canceling my model 3 orders as well!

So you dropped it off the SC and they could not fix any of the issues you've listed?
Have been to service center soooo many times! Every day a new problem pops up! Been tired of being "that guy" who always has problems. They fix as requested but in all honesty, I feel that it get sold after having spent $148knplus tax and fees tonaleays have issues.

-SEVERE shaking upon full accelaerarion only (normal driving at any speed is fine. Just noticeable under full acceleration and most noticeable at lower speeds). This started after 2 wks of ownership.

This is not good. The rest is fairly trivial to fix but it's unusual to have all of those problems in one car.

Before you go down the refund route, I would ask yourself if you really want the car even if all those items were fixed. I am not sure how you compared at Tesla Model X to a Porsche 911. I don't think I would even think about putting a Model S against that, even comparing 0-60 times. This is not even close to that type of car.

Reactions: halg
Wow, very dissatisfied and that laundry list seems reasonable for Tesla to take action above/beyond typically just fixing the issues. They should replace at minimum - and could "refurbish" or recycle parts from the old car that while doesn't seem to classify as a lemon, is poor quality.

I find myself having to be forgiving of the X, even more than our S. It was delivered with a few small issues only but even that isn't really acceptable on other cars in this price range, 1st year or not. This is the first time I've started a note on my Mac/iPhone as well to collect new problems to hand over to the SC at next service or when I get say 3-4 of them that need resolved each time. Latest today was the popping of a FWD noise, one window being very slow (1/2 speed of other), and we'll see what next one is. In build quality, the car is beautiful but I hate feeling that it is delicate somewhat, that something is going to break, or that its just not aligned perfectly as well. Ug.

Definitely not like your case, but best of luck too!

I still have some minor issues but after 3 SC I decided to wait until annual inspection, hopefully by then Tesla will be more organized and fix everything at one appointment. Really hate waiting 3 weeks to schedule an SC appointment and not get the car fixed after that wait.

But as I mentioned I still love that car, Tesla got all the big things right (17 inch display, autopilot, all aspects of driving, comfort) but messed up on the small thinks like (seals, alignment, rattles)

You know what really stand out to me? It's that nobody is accusing you of lying/exaggerating. I think we've all been there in some capacity or another with the X and feel your pain, but I should probably just speak for myself.

I secretly cross my fingers every time I open a door and jump for joy inside when things work right. This is both the best car I've ever owned and the worst.

You know what really stand out to me? It's that nobody is accusing you of lying/exaggerating. I think we've all been there in some capacity or another with the X and feel your pain, but I should probably just speak for myself.

I secretly cross my fingers every time I open a door and jump for joy inside when things work right. This is both the best car I've ever owned and the worst.
I know exactly what you mean. When things work they work great, when they don't, it's your worst nightmare.

Have been to service center soooo many times! Every day a new problem pops up! Been tired of being "that guy" who always has problems. They fix as requested but in all honesty, I feel that it get sold after having spent $148knplus tax and fees tonaleays have issues.
I took delivery of my model X P90DL late August. Have had nothing but problems! Having spent $148k on a car that feels cheaper then a Toyota Corolla, I can't even express my frustrations with how poorly built my model X is. I chose the mode x over a Porsche 911 turbo, - MB GL 63 AMG, and a few other cars. This was the most expensive car I have ever purchased and it is by far the worst built car ever. No way I would buy this car again! I am just wondering if anyone has been able to successfully return their car? I am speaking to 2 attorneys and considering filing a class action law suite against Tesla. It seems like every time I take my car i am told "Tesla knew about this problem in production". I know it is a new model and I have owned several first year models (including a 2009 GTR). None had the problems I am having. I appreciate any advice and help you all may be able to offer specially those who have successfully replaced or returned their vehicles! This car is my wife's car and she is quite upset. Here are my list of issues:
-Falcon door alignment at day #1
-driver window making loud noise from
Not sealing (replaced small window)
-spoiler squeak (replaced spoiler first week of ownership).
-all windows squeaking (still a problem)
- problems with charge port not opening
-problem with passenger door not closing with push button
- falcon door squeaking
- driver fender piece popping out randomly and having to push it in.
-passenger front wheel well piece being loose and improperly installed at factory.
- seat rail plastic cover falling off
-door trim sticking out and popping off

I have a few other items also but just sick of bugging my service manager.

Very much regret getting this car and in all honesty, no way I can recommend this car to anyone and no way I would get this car again....specially at $148k and at best feels like a $10k car!

I am just hoping someone out there can understand my anger and frustration and provide me with some guidance. I have lost all faith in Tesla and will be canceling my model 3 orders as well!
What is your VIN? Perhaps this may be a clue. Late August Xs should not have many problems.
vin is xxxxxxx41GF014059.

Very true indeed! My response daily is....inknow it's fun to drive but what else is going to go wrong or fall off!

Reactions: Eclectic
You're saying "class action". Curious - what's the class?

You have a unique combination of problems - I can't imagine you can form a class out of that - you'll be the only one in it.

Or are you picking one problem and running with that as a class?
No idea!
I will find out! Been told the lemon laws don't apply to me. Also been advised by tesla people not to post on social media and be silent. They did to say anything about owners group. If they don't make it right, will see what my options are.

Hoping I don't have to post my videos on FB and YouTube.