Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worst buying experience ever

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have recently ordered a new long range Tesla 3. I was given no delivery date or even an estimate. I have been on the Tesla “Chat” system which is worse than useless, all I get is “We are connecting you with a Tesla expert” and then nothing.
There is no point in calling the showroom as they don’t answer the phone either. I hope the product is better than the purchasing experience. This must be the worst company I have ever dealt with, I’m spending £50000 for what reason?

Reactions: jrcase
How recent is recent?

The site gives you an "Estimated delivery date" of 2-4 weeks even before you please your order.

I ordered my M3 on June 30, got my VIN a bit over a week later, and the car delivered at 3 weeks...
Yes, I was restless a lot of the time waiting for my car; checking daily for my VIN/car details, but I knew it wouldn't make them work any faster.

You’ll get a call when the vehicle is ready for pickup. That’s it. Don’t bother trying to get an estimate, especially at the end of a quarter. Communications is not Tesla’s strong point.

This is the last day of the quarter. Tesla is always overwhelmed at the last day of the quarter, largely because of the quarter-to-quarter mentality in the investment community, which compels Tesla to make each quarter look as good as possible, despite the fact that there's really no difference between a car delivered today versus one delivered tomorrow. They barely have the bandwidth to deliver the cars they're making. They certainly don't have the bandwidth to give you status reports beyond notifying you when the car is ready.

I have recently ordered a new long range Tesla 3. I was given no delivery date or even an estimate. I have been on the Tesla “Chat” system which is worse than useless, all I get is “We are connecting you with a Tesla expert” and then nothing.
There is no point in calling the showroom as they don’t answer the phone either. I hope the product is better than the purchasing experience. This must be the worst company I have ever dealt with, I’m spending £50000 for what reason?
If you can put up with the horrible purchasing process (which lasts a few weeks to a few months), you will be rewarded by years of driving the finest and most ground breaking vehicle ever.

So you need to decide if going through a horrible purchasing experience is going to be worth it. If you would rather have fantastic customer service but have a substandard vehicle, buy something else.

Sure, it would be best to have both, but right now you can’t.

My purchasing experience was also horrible. But it was a very short period of time compared to the years I will be enjoying the car.

The most unbelievably fantastic customer service in the world would never be worth it if it meant giving up my car for it.

• Informative
Reactions: Rex Kramer
This is the last day of the quarter. Tesla is always overwhelmed at the last day of the quarter, largely because of the quarter-to-quarter mentality in the investment community, which compels Tesla to make each quarter look as good as possible, despite the fact that there's really no difference between a car delivered today versus one delivered tomorrow. They barely have the bandwidth to deliver the cars they're making. They certainly don't have the bandwidth to give you status reports beyond notifying you when the car is ready.

So would you say not to order a car today (Monday 9/30) and wait until Tuesday Oct 1. This is what a Tesla salesman said to me, but I can’t believe that it would be a problem to order today. The people handling new orders must be different people than the ones’s handling new deliveries.

So would you say not to order a car today (Monday 9/30) and wait until Tuesday Oct 1. This is what a Tesla salesman said to me, but I can’t believe that it would be a problem to order today. The people handling new orders must be different people than the ones’s handling new deliveries.
They have the chairman of the board delivering cars in Australia, or so I read. Anyway, order online whenever you like. Makes no real difference. But don't expect any kind of response any time soon whether you order today or tomorrow.

I really hope hes not one of these owners who have done no research before buying the car cause hes in for a rude awakening.

What is your expectation of the ordering process and how long would it take to get your car?
After you submitted your order, Tesla will try to match a car to your specification. When there is a match, then you will be contacted. There is no use to contact Tesla in the mean time. The delay for matching your car is unknown, and since you are located in UK, I suspect it be longer than US, which is nominally a couple of weeks.

What is your expectation of the ordering process and how long would it take to get your car?
After you submitted your order, Tesla will try to match a car to your specification. When there is a match, then you will be contacted. There is no use to contact Tesla in the mean time. The delay for matching your car is unknown, and since you are located in UK, I suspect it be longer than US, which is nominally a couple of weeks.
I fully expect that a new, bespoke order subjects one to a wait, particularly for a production line that is in flux.

What I don't understand is why seemingly no match is made when a website shows inventory. Or, when inventory shows, a buyer just cant fully transact and reserve or buy any car on there, outright.

I've been told with dubious reasons that the cars I had my eyes on "disappeared". It's not been made half way clear to me what the "in stock" listing on the website actually represents. As far as im concerned, at the moment, those vehicles (with VIN listed) are as real as the phantom cars that Uber renders in their app just to give the impression there are actually taxis around.

Was it your experience that the inventory cars listed in the website actually do not exist? Have you worked with a local sales to look into those inventory cars?
all of the above

i was open to various options (colors), but told to place an order - which means having to specify 1 spec - and i did. deposit paid.
i did not see that i was being "matched", so i also ordered one off inventory. deposit also paid.
when that triggered no action, i visited in person to be told "somehow" that order is invalid and car doesnt exist and etc etc etc. (it was still in my account, with an order number, with a vin number, etc etc)....

One full day since his post here and he hasn't replied to us.
I'm feeling concerned that my needs aren't met to hear from him.
My expectations and experience in this thread are not giving me confidence in him.
What can I do, I paid exactly $0 to post here, is this the expectation I should have?!
/s

• Funny
Reactions: brkaus