TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Worst car purchase experience so far

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by zer0cool, Jul 27, 2018.

1. KarenRei

KarenRei ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ

Yeah, they really have to hussle when loading and unloading. It's a recipe for scratches.

2. fishh

fishh Member

Well said. It's assumed that buying a comparable German ICE at a dealership will be a pretty seamless, cushy process. Free coffee and donuts, nice leather chairs to sit and talk about the car, and a comically heavy pen to sign the delivery paperwork. In order for Tesla to really sell the Model 3 to that demographic, the customer service and purchasing experience will need to be nicer and faster than at MB/BMW/Audi dealerships.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  3. bro1999

bro1999 Active Member

Tesla's Head of Sales, Ganesh Srivats, left the company this week. That on the heels of Jon McNeil, President of Sales and Service, leaving earlier this year. Sounds like there is much turmoil in Tesla's sales department that has trickled down to the lowest levels.

• Informative x 2
  4. favo

favo P3D+ owner

There is only one location in NC that can sell cars, and that is Raleigh, since they have a dealership permit from the DMV. Charlotte's permit application was rejected after objection from the N.C. Automobile Dealers Association. You can thank NCADA and the NC legislature for this ridiculous situation.
    See this thread for more info on a 2017 bill to fix the situation that never passed: N&O: More Tesla dealerships could be coming to NC under Senate bill

• Helpful x 3
  5. X Fan

X Fan Supporting Member

True, but fortunately you can still pick up your car in Charlotte....my son received his 3 in March there,, he just had to wire money in advance.

btw: Charlotte service is superb (they turned around my Blue X's AC problem in a day.....also, they send rangers out both locally and throughout remote locations to Charlotte in NC & SC).

btw2: you'll love the car......

• Like x 1
  6. electracity

electracity Active Member

2000 S/X a month says otherwise. The simple truth is that as long as the cars are highly differentiated and desirable Tesla can do a lot of smaller things poorly.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  7. zer0cool

zer0cool Member

Alright finally got resolved; took a trip in person to the store, fortunately traffic wasn't too bad in the middle of the day.

Of course no contacts from my DS. I do have to cut him some slack since he's probably doing 3 people's work, in NV, and probably doesn't know anything about local peculiarities.

Went to store in person, talked to them about it, got to see the car, which is in perfect condition. They tried to see if they could still keep today's delivery but unfortunately no because the check must be mailed. I had insisted yesterday and they agreed to provided me a prepaid Fedex slip which I dropped off at Fedex store. They squeezed me in for EOD tomorrow delivery.

So at least they understood my frustrations and did their best to not cause further delays.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

It is a shame they couldn't let you take the car home while the check was inbound.

9. saxafruge

saxafruge New Member

Should just have your bank wire transfer the money, that takes less than an hour.

10. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Banned

Thing like this always crack me up... Here, take my money! No thank you!

Many years ago I was going to buy a truck from one dealer or another on a particular day. I was putting 5k down... so I went to the cred union and took out 5k cash.
    Cred union manager: you need a cashier check, they won't take cash! Whatever.
    My dad: you need a cashier check, they won't take cash! Whatever.

Do you think the dealer turned down an envelope full of cash? Hell no. Got a fantastic deal too.

• Like x 1
  11. lolder

lolder Member

Picked up M3 7/24 at Coral Gables, FL. Smooth in and out in 30 minutes. Delivery man very good and put on my SunPass xponder. Autosteer calibrated and became available within 16 miles of driving on Miami expressways. AP drove through construction with only one blip at a sharp turn marked by barrels close together. S. Fl shower tested the auto-wipers successfully. AP worked flawlessly on hilly winding wet road with a low angle sun causing a high level of glare. Energy tests confirm 250 whrs/m at 70 mph.

• Like x 1
  12. okcorral

okcorral Member

What’s with the checks? Tesla makes purchasing simple using a wire transfer. Both Tesla’s I bought (S and 3) transferring funds with a wire. Tesla confirmed receipt same day.

At time of delivery I only had to sign on paper and drive off since car and paperwork was signed electronically.

The purchase order has wire instructions in it. Do that and you’ll be fine.

• Like x 1
  13. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

Not everyone's lender/loan provider will do a wire transfer.

• Informative x 1
  14. lirandy

lirandy Member

I am in a very similar situation. I originally had 7/14/18 delivery date, and then got a call on 7/13/18 saying the car was still in SF. And I re-scheduled to 7/19/18. I took half day off and went to delivery center. When I were on my way and 15 mins before arriving, I received a call from DC saying they still didn't have my car. They didn't know where my car was and I was like my car was already fully paid. And you called me 15 mins prior my delivery appointment saying you couldn't deliver?! So basically I am paying the interest to my bank for nothing. I emailed Model 3 support team and DC numerous times and had no responses. Until last Weds 7/25/18, I received a call from Model 3 support team and re-scheduled my delivery on 8/4/18. Finger-crossed that they really can deliver this time. :(

15. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

My lender gave me a check and I had to either mail it to Tesla or hand it to them when I picked up the car.

16. zer0cool

zer0cool Member

That sounds even more messed up / ridiculous than my case was...

17. wavehog

wavehog New Member

As another Elon/Tesla/SpaceX fan (of disruption and privatization) However, It is hard to stomach the complete chaos and piss poor customer service experienced. I'd hate to see a great idea/product get whupped by competition that understands customer service in this space (i.e., luxury vehicles- Mercedes and Porsche being my experience).

To net out an absolute nightmare-
    1) Get on waiting list 18-24 months ago (that is ok... early adopter. All good so far)
    2) Not a single communication for ~ 16 months. I actually got first email 7 minutes after tweeting and tagging Elon to the effect of "love SpaceX... glad you can put car in orbit. Can u ship one to Hawaii?" The resulting communication? "your car delivery has been delayed due to manufacturing problems" LOL
    3) Some growing pains (well publicized re: manufacturing and quality... waiting patiently)
    4) Place your order email (yippeee). I configure and order vehicle (another $2500- total $3500, but car in sight)
    5) ~ a month later... delivery date (woohoo... customer experience getting better)
    6) OMG... why make it so hard to pay? I tried to wire transfer from two separate accounts. No can do. So I jump through hoops and transfer money to local bank for cashiers check. Worried I wasn't going to make the Monday deadline.
    7) After transferring $$ and taking day off work, get a voicemail Sunday (day before) "vehicle delivery delayed"
    8) Called back... VM. No response.
    9) Email a day or two later. No response.
    10) Repeat above for ~ 10 days.
    11) Finally go to delivery center in person to talk with phantom delivery rep. Wait an hour.
    12) He says "Sorry can't help you. Let me call you *today* with update."
    13) No call back.
    14) Another couple days. No communication.
    15) I call back and he answers! "Who are you again? Let me check and get back to you."
    16) He does get back to me to tell me paint chipped/damaged in transit and no idea when I can get you the car...
    17) I miss Mercedes / Porsche loaner program. At least when they raped me for an oil change, I had a car to drive.

Sad part is I sold wifes mercedes as I really don't need three cars and now I have to rent her a car as she doesn't like driving my truck.

#firstworldproblems #horrificcustomerservice

If Tesla could combine great product AND great customer experience they would be worth the valuation. Feels like they are learning the auto business as they go along :-/
    /rant

18. KarenRei

KarenRei ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ

Yes, IMHO:

* Paint chip in transit: perfectly forgivable, because that happens and will continue to happen.
    * Not doing the most basic level of "Hi, I'm just returning your call to tell you we don't yet have an update, but I'll let you know when we do" - not acceptable.

• Like x 1
  19. BeanoBob

BeanoBob Member

I had a very different experience. Purchasing and taking delivery of my Model 3 was also quite different than the last several ICE car purchases/deliveries I've been involved with and sometimes different can be disconcerting. But I had several communications with a Tesla rep in Chicago (I think) who walked me through the process, answered my questions and gave me an estimated delivery date. Then got a call that the delivery date was changed, I could pick it up a week early! Left my beloved Prius, gave them a certified check, signed some papers, talked with a knowledgeable young man about the car and left. What no pressure to buy extra stuff? No shuffling from one person to another? No sitting around waiting for...? It was different but I could get used to it.

20. Jedi2155

Jedi2155 Model 3 has Arrived.

So in July we were getting, sorry your car is delayed, get out of my way because I'm busy. In August, I'm starting to see more of the "I'm so sorry your car is delayed"

I'm just waiting for a September, "i'm sorry your car is delayed let me make it up to you." In many other businesses there is some type of complimentary service or offering to make it up to customers who have been poorly treated or hassled. I think Tesla needs to offer something to the masses who have been experiencing this less than stellar service to give us more confidence in making it right. Something beyond I'll make sure you get the car you paid for and expected (because we should be expecting perfect cars in the 1st place, and we've been hassled to have to return it to the service center to get it worked on).