TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Worst car purchase experience so far

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by zer0cool, Jul 27, 2018.

1. zer0cool

zer0cool Member

It's pretty clear they don't have enough people in sales department to handle all the deliveries. Elon clearly thought deliveries would be much simpler than in reality so just didn't hire enough people or have the right procedures to make sure things run smoothly.

The biggest thing is this - if I call my BMW dealership during open hours, someone always picks up within seconds and will be able to either 1) direct me to exactly the right person to help me with my question, or 2) note my issues and have someone call back in a timely manner.

This is not what happens with Tesla. So several weeks after taking delivery of the car, I tried to call the store to ask about my registration documents. It took 6+ calls at different times of the day for someone to answer the phone. The person obviously didn't deal with the issue but at least informed me that the person who deals with the issue was not available and the best he could do was to send an email. He sent the email and copied me. Obviously no response. Fortunately 2 days later and 3 days before my temp registration expired, I got the documents from Tesla. Of course I never received a response from any of them before that.

With a previous BMW when I had the same issue with not having received tag or registration docs, I just texted my salesman and he responded immediately, and sent me a 2nd temp tag and the perm tag appeared at my door a couple weeks later. Yes, you do pay for dealerships, but you get better service for sure.

2. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

3. StellarRat

StellarRat Active Member

#43 StellarRat, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    I have absolutely no desire to EVER get another car at a dealership. I'm sick of salesman, weaselly "finance managers", price "approvers", and fees to do things that should be free or super low cost. $500 to transfer your title and get your plates?? Really? In my state the actual cost at DMV if you do it yourself is less $100. If you go to a dealership you're going to spend at least 4 hours to buy a car minimum. The whole objective their is try to nickel and dime every cent out of you. And God help you if you are a trusting person with no experience. That's why I had my Dad come to my first car buy when I was young.

My Tesla experience was amazing. Sign here, here, here and here. Is that your trade in? Yes. Here's the fobs and keys for it. Sign title over. Thanks. The fee for transfer was $120 (very reasonable). Here's your cashiers check, here's your car. Let me pair your phone. This is how to get it moving. AND GONE... 45 minutes total! Would have been only 30 minutes, but I was a little early. It took me 1/3 the time to drive 100 miles round trip and pick up the Tesla than it did to drive 3 miles and purchase my Leaf at a dealership.

4. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

Seems like the experience varies quite a bit. But mine was a lot better than going to a dealership. The only major downside was the long wait (2 years, 2 months and 2 days). But when the car was ready the experience was pretty nice. They drove the car to my house. I signed a few forms and I had my brand new Model 3.

• Like x 1
  5. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

Oh, just wait until December. It's inevitable that there will be damaged cars they'll try to unload on customers knowing the full tax credit is at play. If they don't deal with this now, there are going to be a lot of unhappy people.

6. zer0cool

zer0cool Member

#46 zer0cool, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    This is only possible if you know exactly the car you want and had custom ordered and paid for it before you got to the physical store/dealership.

This is generally not the case with most car buyers. Most people don't know exactly which car they want to get and need to actually test cars first and don't want to custom order but rather want something right in the lot that they can drive away on the same day.

Also, financing takes time and a LOT (most) of the time spent in dealership is actually waiting for financing to come through. Assuming you didn't pay cash (which is the case for vast majority of American car buyers), how much time did you spend with a bank (or multiple banks) to secure best financing? Basically you are ignoring that time spent before you got to the Tesla store while counting that time against time spent at a dealership.

If Tesla, instead of 3 models, had 20 models like other car brands, and needed to stock 300 cars at the store for people to test and drive away on the same day they wanted one, and customers need to secure financing after they decided on a car at the store, rest assured it ll have all the same negatives you feel about dealerships (probably more given its general inefficiencies so far).