Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worst car shopping experience ever

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel like the condition of the CPO cars are getting even worse as people pick through cars and accept cars in good condition and reject delivery of cars that are badly beaten up. Hopefully we will reach a point where things can't get any worse than they are now and they start selling cars in a reasonable way.

We are having a hard time just getting emails replied with questions about cars available for sale :(
They won’t even reply. Even when my bank was trying to wire the funds they wouldn’t answer calls and emails. When I did I got an angry rep who hung up on me because he said he was busy. I have yet to hear where my car is even after they received the money 3 days ago

I think these experiences depends on certain factors.

Like the service Center for example.

I bought my CPO 2 weeks ago and it’s in very good condition.

The pictures I received showed some damages that I was fine going thru with that needed up not being there at all.

I don’t know if the SC did something about t? But it was cleaned and detailed properly.

Well I got it from the sales department in Vancouver that the CPO program in Canada is essentially dissolved. They are sending all of the lease returns etc. to auction instead.
Thought something was up. I was looking for preowned Teslas on their website and couldn’t find any. I was thinking wow they must be a big hit, now I know the rest of the story. Thanks

Last edited:
They won’t even reply. Even when my bank was trying to wire the funds they wouldn’t answer calls and emails. When I did I got an angry rep who hung up on me because he said he was busy. I have yet to hear where my car is even after they received the money 3 days ago

It was not a good idea to wire the money until you accept the car :(

If for no other reason than you having to pay the bank interest for a car that you don't even have. Have you tried Executive Escalation to get a response? Might also try going to a Tesla gallery and have someone look into it for you.

If Tesla really does not want to sell used cars in a reasonable way, they should just let dealers sell those cars. Tesla can then just offer extended warranties for any car currently under the factory warranty and they can price those warranties however they want to cover their expenses. This way customers are treated fairly with being able to buy a car in decent condition after seeing photos, being able to inspect the car, test drive, etc.,

Reactions: Cheburashka
It was not a good idea to wire the money until you accept the car :(

If for no other reason than you having to pay the bank interest for a car that you don't even have. Have you tried Executive Escalation to get a response? Might also try going to a Tesla gallery and have someone look into it for you.

If Tesla really does not want to sell used cars in a reasonable way, they should just let dealers sell those cars. Tesla can then just offer extended warranties for any car currently under the factory warranty and they can price those warranties however they want to cover their expenses. This way customers are treated fairly with being able to buy a car in decent condition after seeing photos, being able to inspect the car, test drive, etc.,
My bank called them and asked if they could wire money after I took car. Tesla said no.
I am now paying interest on a car I haven’t even seen (yeah, crazy )
And I don’t have a pick up date yet. I was told the CPO sales department only had 3-4 employees which is why they’re so slammed.
Just keeps getting more odd

So another day went by and nothing.
My email app tells Me if they read my email and it shows they’ve read it twice (yes, creepy )
They told me Saturday pick up. Then said Tuesday pick up and I have yet to hear back.
Today I was all over craigslist and I’m leaving on going with a private party. They seem in better condition and I can extend the warranty and same price for a year newer car.
I’ll see how far Tesla drags this on.
Do they read the boards and have decided I’m causing too much grief? Lol

So another day went by and nothing.
My email app tells Me if they read my email and it shows they’ve read it twice (yes, creepy )
They told me Saturday pick up. Then said Tuesday pick up and I have yet to hear back.
Today I was all over craigslist and I’m leaving on going with a private party. They seem in better condition and I can extend the warranty and same price for a year newer car.
I’ll see how far Tesla drags this on.
Do they read the boards and have decided I’m causing too much grief? Lol

You are absolutely better off buying private party if you can find a car to your liking.

If they read the boards, it would make sense for them to take care of you sooner rather than later, especially after they've apparently accepted your money. I have faith in them to do the right thing and even in cases where they've made not so good decisions, they usually do the right thing at the end.

I hope one day soon they will fix the horrible mess with their CPO program so customers can buy a car with peace of mind.

A private party sale is better all around and best of all, if you like the car, you pay and drive your car home and the car is unlikely to be trashed.

So I called the delivery phone number today. Had to hold for 2.5 hours.
They referred me back to my sales advisor.
He called and said my appointment was today at 9am and I missed it.
They’ve rescheduled me for tomorrow.
Now we wait and see

So I’m happy to report. I took the car in for the handle and once I was there I decided to ask if they could replace the seat and the wheel that was peeling.
The advisor could not believe they sold the car like this and right away told me they would fix ALL the wheels and order me a new seat.
They gave me a Tesla Loaner and will be picking up the car Monday.
I was absolutely amazed at how well they treated me and a completely different experience than the buying process. Can’t wait to see all they fixed on Monday