Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worst case energy efficiency scenario?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are stats from pretty much a worst case scenario in an LR AWD: highway driving, large total elevation gain of 3,000m or 9,800 ft, cruising speed of 130 km/h or 80 mph, temperatures as low as -11 degC or 12 degF. Resulted in 236 Wh/km or 378 Wh/mi.

For those that know BC, this was from Kelowna to Hope.

Worst case drive.png

Hey now, inside temp was set to 20C on average right? Sounds like there's room for higher consumption if you cranked that up to ~23C :)

Yup, that would make it worse! I do try to use the seat heater and have lower cabin temperatures (but not to the point of discomfort).

Snow would make it worse, although that would be partially offset by lower travel speeds. Colder temperatures make it worse, as well.

Yes, the roads were largely snow-free. Snowy roads would have made me reduce my speed though. Hypothesis: snowy roads at 90 km/h are more efficient than clear roads at 130 km/h. Would depend on how snowy I assume, but there is a trade-off there for sure.

Here are stats from pretty much a worst case scenario in an LR AWD: highway driving, large total elevation gain of 3,000m or 9,800 ft, cruising speed of 130 km/h or 80 mph, temperatures as low as -11 degC or 12 degF. Resulted in 236 Wh/km or 378 Wh/mi.

It's the trip back the other way that's the picture to see! Start at 30% charge and see if you can fill the battery.

It's the trip back the other way that's the picture to see! Start at 30% charge and see if you can fill the battery.

LOL. It wasn't 3,000m straight up. That was the total elevation gain. I actually lose a net of 322 metres on this route. So the reverse journey is actually slightly worse since it is a net elevation gain.

Here is the elevation profile (the notch is where I lose cellular coverage for several minutes). The first climb is a battery killer!

Elevation profile Kelowna to Hope.jpg

Reactions: TomB985
LOL. It wasn't 3,000m straight up. That was the total elevation gain. I actually lose a net of 322 metres on this route. So the reverse journey is actually slightly worse since it is a net elevation gain.

Here is the elevation profile (the notch is where I lose cellular coverage for several minutes). The first climb is a battery killer!

I don't have the picture, but my wife does 1,500 meter downhill, very little uphill, about 15 miles and 17 mile increase in range. The picture is a 5 minute energy graph completely at 99+ (or is it 999?) additive mph picture.

Now put on snow tires and watch the consumption go up another 10%. At least that's what I've experienced with my blizzaks on my Model 3 AWD (18" wheels for winter). I rarely get better than 300 wh/mi with them on, and at 75 mph, dry roads, and ~30F usually get 340-350 wh/mi.

Reactions: GtiMart

View attachment 512121

I think you could get worse efficiency fairly easily ; I know I have in much better conditions so looks like you had a kind wind at your back or something ???