Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worst Case Scenario

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We live on an island off the coast of Washington and periodically we do have power outages caused by storms that can, and have, lasted up to 5 days. My current back-up generator puts out 3000 watts surge, and 2800 watts normal load power, but it only has 110v outlets. At only 3-4 miles per hour of charging at 110v, I'm thinking a generator that puts out 220v would be a better option for charging my Tesla in a worst case scenario with shore power down. What is the smallest wattage generator out there that will have a 220v outlet (providing closer to 30 miles per hour of charging)? Would my Model 3 LR Dual Motor have any problems being charged from a portable generator? Generator brand/type suggestions?

We live on an island off the coast of Washington and periodically we do have power outages caused by storms that can, and have, lasted up to 5 days. My current back-up generator puts out 3000 watts surge, and 2800 watts normal load power, but it only has 110v outlets. At only 3-4 miles per hour of charging at 110v, I'm thinking a generator that puts out 220v would be a better option for charging my Tesla in a worst case scenario with shore power down. What is the smallest wattage generator out there that will have a 220v outlet (providing closer to 30 miles per hour of charging)? Would my Model 3 LR Dual Motor have any problems being charged from a portable generator? Generator brand/type suggestions?

What model is your current generator? I am guessing it is an inverter generator since it only does 120v? Can you post a picture of what kind of plugs it offers? One trick here is we need to figure out how to get all 2800 of those watts to the car should you choose to do so. It will require something better than a 5-20 adapter.

Technically Tesla does not support charging from generators, but I think lots of people do it.

One really key thing is that your generator (or you) need to bond neutral to ground for it to work. Some generators have this done internally, but many or most don’t. I built a shorting adapter for my EU2000i that is just a plug I can put in the generator that has the neutral and ground jumpered together.

A question: If you live on an island, how much driving do you really plan to do with the power being out? Are you thinking the roads would still be online and ferries running, so you want to be able to go to work off the island etc? Slow charging may be fine.

Living where you live, I might consider a more significant option. Like a hardwired standby generator for the house that runs off propane. They make air cooled models these days that are very low maintenance and cost effective. That would give you auto transfer ability, much longer runtimes, and a good amount of capacity, some of which could be used for car charging.