Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worst Delivery Ever

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went in to take delivery of our Model 3. We signed the paperwork and did the orientation. Tesla staff then tell us no one sent our contract to the credit union. Had to leave without the new car. When they finally did send the contract, they sent one belonging to someone else. Hopefully everything gets squared away and we can take it home in the next couple of days. Also for those taking delivery I would take note of any imperfections in your cars and have Tesla address them. The center console of ours had a bunch of scratches.

Condolences.

Second the need for a very careful, unrushed, panel by panel, piece by piece inspection inside and out.

Both of my pickups were at the factory (so no transportation/delivery variables) over 2 years apart. Even so, both had significant paint concerns resulting in $800-$1000 worth of paint correction by my own master detailers (prior to paint protection) once I got back to LA, one had multiple panel misalignment, and the other had large interior trim piece defects. The latter were replaced twice and once respectively.

Tesla paid for all of it but it does tend to kill the word of mouth as the last thing you want to deal with after shelling out six figures for a car is fixing multiple production mistakes that first week. Also doesn’t do wonders for domestic harmony in certain cases iykwim.

Reactions: NewTMSMan
Not sure about your title, "Worst Delivery Ever". Compared to what? Technically, it wasn't delivered.

Take some ownership. I would have checked with my credit union BEFORE I left to get the car that they had the right paperwork. No one cares like you care.

As for the scratch, no excuses, but Tesla will make it right.
You’re completely right. I should have checked before even leaving my house. It didn’t cross my mind though because they handled my S without any problems. It’s probably due to everything getting done before and after Christmas. I know they’ll make it right and nobody died so not to big of a deal.

Well...he had an attempted delivery. As I noted in another thread, I was SUPPOSED to take delivery yesterday. They called 4 hours before my appt at Marina Del Rey to say that the car is still in Fremont...and they don't actually know when it will arrive. Tesla is woefully unprepared for the big leagues. Numerous people like me were impacted.

You’re completely right. I should have checked before even leaving my house. It didn’t cross my mind though because they handled my S without any problems. It’s probably due to everything getting done before and after Christmas. I know they’ll make it right and nobody died so not to big of a deal.

I have not financed a car purchase in about 25 years so I am not familiar with the process. If we choose to finance, do we have to sign papers with Tesla and then make sure copies get to our financial institution before setting up delivery date? Then at delivery the bank wires funds to Tesla? Thanks.

I have not financed a car purchase in about 25 years so I am not familiar with the process. If we choose to finance, do we have to sign papers with Tesla and then make sure copies get to our financial institution before setting up delivery date? Then at delivery the bank wires funds to Tesla? Thanks.

I was SUPPOSED to take delivery yesterday. A couple of days before that, they set up your MyTesla account page to submit final payment. You go in, review the numbers, and you have the option to submit your bank details for a direct debit. That's what I did. Funds were taken from my account today. But the car....still missing in action.

Or you can do a cashier's check. They will have all the final numbers on your MyTesla account page.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler and DR61
Once I was told I could configure my car I contacted my credit union for a loan quote. They asked how much and for how long before running my credit. They then sent me an approval letter to give to Tesla or any dealer. That letter had the information for tesla to send the purchase order to. The documents should be sent to the bank after signing. Normally Tesla and the bank will take care of the paperwork behind the scenes. Once my credit union had they paperwork they went over how term lengths and payment start dates and had me sign the loan documents. Once that is done the bank sends the money to Tesla. Tesla receives the money and you take your beautiful new car home.

Ps sorry I stirred the complaining hornets nest

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
Didn't someone write on this board about having their car hitting a light post being taken off the truck? That'd be worse.

Or how about the person whose car had visible hail damage?

Last edited: