Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worst energy usage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see a lot of commentary around "most efficient" Wh/m. I'm curious what the "worst" you will get is when driving hard, with A/C on full blast, up hills, etc. I've seen numbers as high as 425 Wh/m over 30mi+, but am guessing that 500+ is possible (over an extended period). Thoughts?

If we're talking peaks, I've hit 1323 wh/mi before. I drove about 80mph down the highway, and actually kept pretty close to 450ish on average (which I was impressed by). So it seems like it's hard to be really innefficient, but sadly, also quite hard to be REALLY efficient (I think 300miles would need to be at 275-ish wh/mi avg). I've NEVER seen under 300.

Do you mean on average? As in consistently, with your daily driving habits?
Or just when you drive it super hard?

I mean on average, or a sustained amount of time hard driving. I'm not really worried about what happens over 2-5 miles and what an instantaneous peak while accelerating . The reason is there is a car club in Austin that I routinely drive with, and we have a 100-150 mi circuit. Lambos, Ferraris, BMWs, other fun and interesting cars. I'm just wondering if I could drive hard (85-100 mph for large portions of it), be comfortable (AC on), and comfortably make it home on the longer drives.

450 Wh/m is encouraging as an "inefficient" driver. Can/will it be worse? (Again, too much time on my hands without a car to play with!!).

Yes, I've been wondering this too. My ICE got horrible gas mileage when driving it on the track (SCCA, 2+ mile track). The driving pattern is: punch it full throttle, apply brakes, repeat. I assume I won't be able to take the S to the track, but I'm curious how long the battery would last.

I plan to take a trip to the christiana mall today in DE and will use the supercharger. I can just make it there and back on a single charge (85 miles one way), but I firstly want to use the SC and secondly want to see what I can get distance-wise driving "normal". I'll clear out my computer before leaving and report back my average usage.

During my regular commute I see 600 Wh/mi averages climbing to the local "summit" – so if you're gaining elevation dramatically on a trip you can expect 1/2 or even 1/3 of the rated range (since my climb is steady but not steep and my use of climate control is quite modest.) The good news is that coming back down is extremely efficient. The average for my entire trip has been as low as 308 Wh/mi and is routinely right around the rated range at 320 Wh/mi.

Tesla may want to consider supercharging stations on either side of dramatic mountain passes!

You want to drain power? Put the defrost on. I saw energy usage jump from ~340-350 Kwh/mile (consistent with what I'd been getting in highway driving) to 511 Kwh/mile when I pulled out from the Gilroy supercharger onto the highway, then put the defrost on.

@Jerry33, thanks for the link. That chatter was about the Roadster, and the post on page 2 said he could go about 7 minutes before degrading due to motor heat. Of course the S is different. The track sessions I've driven in have been 20-30 minutes of track time, followed by 30-40 minutes of rest time while another group (or 2 depending on crowd size) goes, to fill an hour cycle. You get 4 or 5 cycles of this in a day. so with either a 50% duty cycle per hour, or 33% duty cycle per hour, is it practical to spend 4 or 5 hours at the track in an S?

These are horrible conditions in terms of fuel consumption. (And excellent conditions for inducing wide grins). If anyone has driven this sort of "all-out" method in a model S, how much energy was consumed? Was there any over-heating issue?

I find highway driving to be pretty efficient, I get killed in the city though. Most of my city streets are 50-60mph street limits so there's quite a bit of acceleration, but even when I take it pretty slow I always seem to average out 400wh/mi in the city, on the freeway I get away in the low 300's.

It takes a lot of energy to get the model S moving, once at speed it's pretty efficient unless you're going over 80.

You want to drain power? Put the defrost on. I saw energy usage jump from ~340-350 Kwh/mile (consistent with what I'd been getting in highway driving) to 511 Kwh/mile when I pulled out from the Gilroy supercharger onto the highway, then put the defrost on.
1. Put on swimwear
2. Roll down all the windows
3. Open the pano roof
4. Turn on all your lights (including hazards)
5. Turn AC to HI/LO (HI if it's cold out, LO if it's hot out)
6. Floor it regularly
7. Use brakes heavily
8. Drive uphill into the wind
9. Turn the radio up to 11
10. Put something very draining into your 12V outlet (like a hairdryer on full blast)
11. Use both USB ports to charge your tablet/laptop and phone

There's lots you can do to burn energy. ;)

Over the last 30 miles I've averaged nearly 800 Wh/mile. And, I drive like a snail. This is a result of cold weather and short trips. My rated mileage is around 80. Good thing I got the 85.

IMG_1234.jpg

Over the last 30 miles I've averaged nearly 800 Wh/mile. And, I drive like a snail. This is a result of cold weather and short trips. My rated mileage is around 80. Good thing I got the 85.

Whoa... 800 Wh/m just by blasting the heater? Is anybody else seeing that the heater (or the AC) at full blast is draining 350+ Wh/mi?

Actually, now that I think about it, the slower you drive the higher your "tax" is going to be from heating and AC (on a Wh/mi) basis. Maybe a better number is "Wh/minute" for the Heater and A/C? Hmm....

Driving to St. Louis to the airport, into a 30 mph wind, 15 degrees outside, I managed to average ~550-600 Wh/mile at 70 mph over 55 miles of driving. Coming back, with the wind's help, I averaged 300-325.

Whoa... 800 Wh/m just by blasting the heater? Is anybody else seeing that the heater (or the AC) at full blast is draining 350+ Wh/mi?

Actually, now that I think about it, the slower you drive the higher your "tax" is going to be from heating and AC (on a Wh/mi) basis. Maybe a better number is "Wh/minute" for the Heater and A/C? Hmm....

It's cold and it's heating the battery.

1. Put on swimwear
2. Roll down all the windows
3. Open the pano roof
4. Turn on all your lights (including hazards)
5. Turn AC to HI/LO (HI if it's cold out, LO if it's hot out)
6. Floor it regularly
7. Use brakes heavily
8. Drive uphill into the wind
9. Turn the radio up to 11
10. Put something very draining into your 12V outlet (like a hairdryer on full blast)
11. Use both USB ports to charge your tablet/laptop and phone

There's lots you can do to burn energy. ;)

Load up the frunk with lead or bricks.
Get 6 250 plus people in the car.
Fill up that back full of dwarf star matter