Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worst Experience Ever Trying to get Tesla Solar Installed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my Model 3 FSD ER leased in July 2019. so I signed up for Tesla Solar recommended 7.4KW and 4 PowerWalls and secured a loan with Sunlight Financial in April 2020. After 4-5 reschedules for installations (mind you I paid for boarded dog, hotel rooms each time to get out of a steamy house with no water- I'm on a well, each time), I was finally called and told someone would visit to do an assessment.

In the meantime, my grid power went out twice from thunderstorms/ falling trees, and lost two freezers full of food.

Assessment went well, and solar install was scheduled - three time no show or contact from anyone. I had to call again, and ask what's going on. "Oh, the project manager is working on your project. You need a panel upgrade". Uh, excuse me, why didn't anyone tell me? Again before scheduling three additional install dates and not showing up? "I'm sorry" is all I received.

Project manager finally called me two weeks later and told me an electrical sub-contractor would contact me with a panel upgrade date. Nothing. I leave three messages with so called project manager, and he leaves a message, "Still working on a date." I hear. This is 5 WEEKS AGO. In the meantime, my solar system design listed on my account is now 8.4KW, 4 PowerWalls, and $6K more!

I just left a message with the so-called project manager again today, asking him to cancel his electrical contractor and arrange another. Please upgrade my breaker panel ASAP. At this point, the solar panels might just get installed in time for the fall leaves to cover them up.

Thank you Tesla Solar for the worst customer service experience I've ever had... and the process truly hasn't even really started yet!

Why were you leaving the house? I assume that was totally separate from the install? There’s always an assessment visit before any installation is scheduled as far as I know. They usually want to check your roof, etc.

Besides that, definitely sounds like they did drop the ball a few times.

I had a similar experience with them. In frustration, I canceled the installation and went with a local provider for my 10k system. The plus to that is that the local company beat Tesla’s price by about $1.00/watt. I believe Tesla’s pricing is much better now, even if their service isn’t.

I had a similar experience with them. In frustration, I canceled the installation and went with a local provider for my 10k system. The plus to that is that the local company beat Tesla’s price by about $1.00/watt. I believe Tesla’s pricing is much better now, even if their service isn’t.

Who did your installation? I've gotten quotes from Solar SME, LA Solar, SunPower, and Sunpro. None of them are even close to Tesla in price.

I've tried vetting those companies, but nearly all the info out there about them is from sponsored sites.

Thanks.

I know Tesla services their installs (and prior Solar City) and feel confident they will be around down the road. Our developer used a certain roofing company to provide the tiles and do the install work. When we wanted a tile inspection after so many years for regular maintenance, we found out they were out of business and so no warranty if we had needed it.

Solar and roofing is a tough industry as to company longevity and now with covid I think we can expect more attrition. A member here mentioned they were working with Peterson Dean, a rather large solar installer in our area who has been in business for years. He had a deposit with them and recently received a letter they had gone into bankruptcy. Don’t think anyone can predict what the future of the industry will be as far as companies but something to be aware of if you do need warranty work. Otherwise you are on your own finding a service provider as oppose to calling your installer.

Who did your installation? I've gotten quotes from Solar SME, LA Solar, SunPower, and Sunpro. None of them are even close to Tesla in price.

I've tried vetting those companies, but nearly all the info out there about them is from sponsored sites.

Thanks.

The other poster mentioned his install was awhile ago. Now Tesla has aggressively gone after the market and is the cheapest. But, they achieve this low cost with minimal interaction and packaged designs with minimal customization. If you need something not fitting these criteria, Tesla may not be your best choice, but expect to pay a premium.

The other poster mentioned his install was awhile ago. Now Tesla has aggressively gone after the market and is the cheapest. But, they achieve this low cost with minimal interaction and packaged designs with minimal customization. If you need something not fitting these criteria, Tesla may not be your best choice, but expect to pay a premium.

Thanks. I'm aware of this, that's why I asked him who he used, since he's also in Texas and I thought he may have some comments on his installer. Tesla does not provide service in my area. I have placed an order, but don't expect them to respond any time soon.

OP Tesla from what I know out here in my area of California hires electricians for panel upgrades and their installers don’t do that level of work. Back in Feb/March when the City told Tesla we would require a panel upgrade for our solar and PWs (our situation had to do with the bus rating and center feed), we were told their contact was booked out for a number of months. In hopes to get our work done sooner we elected to hire our own electrician to do the work. It was quite involved 3-4 day project and involved stucco work in addition. Ended up costing us more than if we had gone and waited for Tesla’s guy. Ours ran over $5k. Panel upgrades aren’t normally quoted as part of the solar/PW contract and neither Tesla nor we knew at contract time about the need for the upgrade. Our panel label was off and only thing we knew was it was a 200A system. The City pulled our developer plans at permit time and gave Tesla the news to pass on to us. So I think your $6K additional work could be within reason. If your area is as busy for electricians as ours is right now, I can believe waiting for the sole contractor or team of contractors that Tesla uses to do the work can be booked out among their current orders and having a hard time pin pointing an install date. Covid and local natural disasters messed big time with scheduling and has backed up work.

I’m sorry you are having this work delay. Totally get the frustration and wanting to be hooked up. Only suggestion is hiring your own electrician to pull a permit and do the work if it helps move along faster. We discussed with Tesla doing this on our own and they were understanding about it. After the work was done we had to send them a copy of the finalized approved permit and a photo of the panel box and breakers along with what equipment was now installed. More work on our part arranging and like I said ended up more expensive in our case. Wish our developer had put in the equipment we needed from the start but solar and battery installations weren’t really being done when the house was built, unlike new housing going in now where it’s included or at least pre-spec’d for. Good luck and hope you see forward movement soon.

Last edited:
...."so I signed up for Tesla Solar recommended 7.4KW and 4 PowerWalls and secured a loan with Sunlight Financial in April 2020"..."In the meantime, my solar system design listed on my account is now 8.4KW, 4 PowerWalls, and $6K* more!"

Sounds like you were originally spec'd with the 315W Hanwha Q-Cell panels like my husband and I were back earlier in the year. Sometime over the summer Tesla went with the 340W Q-Cells dropping the older 315 model. Better efficiency with this new model, so generating more power for you annually, and the warranty went from like 15 years to 25 years. Tesla has updated all current older orders with the new panels and their design department has had to update and revise any plans already in the works. We are getting a better product as a result so the delay has really worked to both of our benefits. Tesla Energy did reduce the pricing on solar panels when the new panels came out. If you haven't call them about this do so and ask if they will match the price of the new system. They should if it hasn't already been installed which is sounds like to me it hasn't. They were very willing to do so when asked. They are keeping our contract at the same price but after install (PTO) will rebate the difference from the old to new pricing. We received a rebate letter they sent us to sign to this effect. I know from someone's post they already had their install and received a check back. We've found Tesla and Tesla Energy to be very fair in our interactions (we also are Tesla car owners like you). Since we legally contracted for panels at a higher price, we were pleased they made this move. BTW the delay also meant they are now shipping the new Gateway2s so we'll be getting the newer version at install as well as you will. Smaller footprint and nicer look that matches the PWs.

I'm sure the *panel upgrade pricing was not a welcome surprise. Despite the longer wait to get our systems installed, we are happy with what we are getting and how Tesla Energy in general has handled things. Communication not the best at all times but they have responded and we know they are just swamped right now so we are more understanding knowing that. Earlier in the year they did hire and train more teams due to the volume of orders they were getting. We have seen them trying to adapt to workers at home and how they handle calls. Still a work in progress as to how that is working out. I think part of the issue is how fast this Energy end of Tesla has expanded.

I will say that with covid restrictions and delays, WFH, natural disasters and power outages upping demand for solar/PWs, the price reduction for Tesla solar increasing orders, oh and the 26% Federal tax credit reduction going down after this year, we can understand the solar industry in general being swamped right now.

@DrScottMMartin hope you won't be a one-time poster and will come back and let us know how things go and if you get the solar panel price break reduction. Oh and we are anxious for completion of our job and hoping to avoid any power shutdowns in the meantime due to the wildfires in the mountains all around us, so get your desire to move forward.

Last edited:

Thanks.

it was a local north Texas company eighteen months ago. I paid $2.50/watt. I believe Tesla is now quoting about $2.30/watt.(I heard Musk say $1.70/watt but that’s post tax credit, which is currently 26%, I believe.)

Why were you leaving the house? I assume that was totally separate from the install? There’s always an assessment visit before any installation is scheduled as far as I know. They usually want to check your roof, etc.

Not sure he will be back but reading his post, he has a well and a dog and didn't want to be without water.
I imaging the solar part would not turn power off until ready to tie in but the 4 power walls at some point will need to have power off for a while.
Not sure how much water he would need while the power was off for say 5 hours. One can always have water saved beforehand.

Initially my Tesla Account just listed install dates three times, saying install would 1.5 days, and I may have no power for up to 8 hours. I do a lot of work from home, so to me that says adios...

Thanks.

I never went through the process far enough to know who Tesla Solar was going to hire to install my panels and PowerWalls.

OP Tesla from what I know out here in my area of California hires electricians for panel upgrades and their installers don’t do that level of work. Back in Feb/March when the City told Tesla we would require a panel upgrade for our solar and PWs (our situation had to do with the bus rating and center feed), we were told their contact was booked out for a number of months. In hopes to get our work done sooner we elected to hire our own electrician to do the work. It was quite involved 3-4 day project and involved stucco work in addition. Ended up costing us more than if we had gone and waited for Tesla’s guy. Ours ran over $5k. Panel upgrades aren’t normally quoted as part of the solar/PW contract and neither Tesla nor we knew at contract time about the need for the upgrade. Our panel label was off and only thing we knew was it was a 200A system. The City pulled our developer plans at permit time and gave Tesla the news to pass on to us. So I think your $6K additional work could be within reason. If your area is as busy for electricians as ours is right now, I can believe waiting for the sole contractor or team of contractors that Tesla uses to do the work can be booked out among their current orders and having a hard time pin pointing an install date. Covid and local natural disasters messed big time with scheduling and has backed up work.

I’m sorry you are having this work delay. Totally get the frustration and wanting to be hooked up. Only suggestion is hiring your own electrician to pull a permit and do the work if it helps move along faster. We discussed with Tesla doing this on our own and they were understanding about it. After the work was done we had to send them a copy of the finalized approved permit and a photo of the panel box and breakers along with what equipment was now installed. More work on our part arranging and like I said ended up more expensive in our case. Wish our developer had put in the equipment we needed from the start but solar and battery installations weren’t really being done when the house was built, unlike new housing going in now where it’s included or at least pre-spec’d for. Good luck and hope you see forward movement soon.

Thanks for this advice! I shall investigate this option.

Initially my Tesla Account just listed install dates three times, saying install would 1.5 days, and I may have no power for up to 8 hours. I do a lot of work from home, so to me that says adios...

The standard message on power outage says 4-8 hours I think. It generally isn't out that long from what I've been told. My installer said a couple of hours but I think they like to cover themselves in case something comes up. Others on here might chime in on how long there's was out. Hopefully I'll know come Monday's schedule date (if the smoke doesn't get us rescheduled again that is). If it's a go, I'll time it and let you know. 3 PWs and similar panel size system.