Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worst experience with squeak repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our model X is not our Tesla. Been a Tesla owner since 2015 with model S. Every little squeaks was treated with multiple test drives with tech and repaired under warranty. The good old days.

Our 2022 X has been squeaking horribly at the dash and both falcon wing doors. Made an appointment on the app which someone responded asking me to describe the exact circumstances to reproduce the squeaks. Ok no problem, wrote some detailed steps to replicate the problem. At the appointment SA said best to have the tech ride along so he can validate the noise. Ok so I wrote all that message for nothing but good to have a person validate this. So we drove around and the tech said the noise are definitely not normal. Good that he concurs. SA gave an estimate of some $630+, $212 or something for EACH noise I complained about. And he mentioned it's most likely covered under warranty, but you will have to accept the estimate before any work is done. Ok fine, have at it.

Fast forward to 3 days later, yes 3 days since they forgot to include left doors in the initial work order. So they "fixed everything else" and had to wait until I asked about the other door before they got a tech to work on it the next day. Got a message saying car's done come pick it up. All of a sudden I see a bill for $800+! wrote a message and see why these are not covered under warranty. Few minutes later got another message back with revised estimate of $212, saying he talked to their general manager (Sara at Irvine) and that's the best she could do. So why aren't these covered under warranty, and the repair costs are negotiable now?

The SA called me and said the general manager told him one of the door is not covered by warranty since they didn't find anything. Yet the bill said "insulated the area of falcon door and replaced lower garnish due to broken clips" and a blurb about "test drove other model X and majority of them make noise." I told him the tech verified both door was making the same noise which I described as balloon rubbing like noise (basically door panel rubbing against pleather). Yet the bill showed one door was "adjusted and covered by warranty" while other is not. So I am liable for the $121 diagnostic charge. SA sounded like he became agitated and a bit argumentative, so the general manager came on the line and basically repeated the same thing, quoting their warranty policy do NOT cover "normal" squeaks. I reminded her the tech during test drive said these do not sound normal, but she basically repeated the same quote saying tech was hearing the noise but may not know that's "normal" until he test drive another model X. WTF?!

Suffice to say I've given up on Tesla. I still love the car but this is probably the worst service experience in my 40+ years of car ownership. I've been a fan and invested a lot of my retirement funds in TSLA. But no matter what a visionary Elon is and what exceptional vehicles they make, with service like this it will be difficult to have any return customers.

Sorry to hear. Seems like this is a variable outcome by SC. I had the same issues (balloon animal rubbing sound on both FWD and squeaky dash), all of which were fixed under warranty at no cost. Similar fix too - basically insulating with felt tape. I have a 2022 refresh MX. Took 3 visits to get the car fixed.

Sorry to hear. Seems like this is a variable outcome by SC. I had the same issues (balloon animal rubbing sound on both FWD and squeaky dash), all of which were fixed under warranty at no cost. Similar fix too - basically insulating with felt tape. I have a 2022 refresh MX. Took 3 visits to get the car fixed.

Which service center did you go to?

Your description of your service experience is about the same as every service experience I have had since the M3 became mass produced.

I'm sure there are some great service centers out there, but I have seen even the once "great" ones around me devolve into exactly what you have described. It's a problem that starts at the top.

Reactions: rpo and am_dmd
Can you send pictures of the felt tape fix? I took mine in this morning to the SC and the tech tells me there are too many squeaks, and to specify which I want fixed. SMH

Yeah felt tape works on the side where the falcon wing door touches the trim on the interior.
Squeaky dash is prob from the door touching the dash when its closed so again, felt tape.
Was this all under warranty?
Talk to my boy Lonnie at Irvine

Reactions: explosive0