TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

worst fears - need comfort

Discussion in 'Model S' started by bktiger86, Feb 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. somnambule

somnambule Member

I'm not sure what the sentence in bold is trying to say, but if you are saying BMW has good initial quality, my wife's BMW begs to differ.

• Like x 3
  2. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

I have noticed a number of forum members seem prone to exaggeration. It might just be a fact of forums. Don't let it get to you too much.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  3. u00mem9

u00mem9 Member

I suggest turning the auto folding mirrors off for the winter. Unless you need them for parking clearance, the subzero temps are a really tough environment. I honestly wish I could put the door handles in extended mode for the season and spare them their little durability test each frigid morning.

• Helpful x 1
  4. johnzhang22

johnzhang22 Member

Same here, my driver side mirror is squeaky and it's struggling to fully extend out all the way. I guess this is a really common problem. Fingers crossed that I don't get any of your other issues. I took delivery on 1/27.

5. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

I do joke a lot so I can see why you'd think that - nope not joking, just exaggerating.

I don't hate Tesla at all and I said so. One can hold two ideas at the same time - love something while intensely disliking some aspect of it.

It's a fact of human beings - the author of this sentence included.

• Like x 1
  6. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

No they're not. We are over four years after initial production began. To say that Tesla is still "figuring this out" means that either Tesla is completely incompetent on the manufacturing side, or that Tesla has zero will and desire to improve initial quality. There are no other possibilities here. There is no excuse for there to be any such issues four years into production. None. Yet here we are.

Musk loves to talk about Autopilot and hardware and processing and rockets and all kinds of sh*t that gives him a woody in the morning, but he spends no time at all on quality and fixing the types of problems that scare customers away and create incredibly bad press a la Consumer Reports. Why this is I have no idea, but I'm leaning towards lack of will. Musk can make cars that drive themselves and reusable rockets that land themselves, but he can't make a car that doesn't throw errors in the first 1,000 miles?

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

My personal theory is the high rate of change is the problem. It's hard to perfect your manufacturing process when you are making changes to the product so frequently. A 2016 Model S is quite a bit different from a 2012, so they haven't actually been manufacturing the same car for 4 years.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 3
  8. Jashev

Jashev Supporting Member

Ditto. I bought a CPO 2013 S85 about 8 weeks ago. Was expecting a load of problems, but have nothing but great things to say about the car. I have also put about 3500 miles on the car (had 22k when I got it). No rattles, absolutely solid, battery capacity shows almost no degradation, etc. Couldn't be happier.

• Like x 1
  9. S3XY

S3XY Member

By definition CPO's are certified. So I would expect them to fix all of the issues they find during the certification process.

10. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

Quite possible. My mid-2013 build is far more solid and problem-free than more recently produced cars. I've never had the plethora of issues that folks here are describing.

11. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

Tesla service has been awesome. I agree, it will get fixed and Tesla will treat you wonderfully. Just avoid getting hit at all costs.

• Like x 1
  12. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

Your folding mirrors may need to have the moving internal components lubricated. A service center should be able to help you with that and your door issue.

As for the charging connector problem, you could lubricate the end that goes into the charge port (not the electrical contacts, just the black plastic on the side. Be sure to push it in fully when you are ready to charge.

I hope this helps!

13. RAM_Eh

RAM_Eh Member

I do the same thing with my Mirrors. Just for the winter.

14. RAM_Eh

RAM_Eh Member

I find that actually comical! I can show you a list of repairs.

• Like x 1
  15. plankeye

plankeye That Vegan EV Guy

It sounds to me like a lot of these issues are actually caused by poor design. If the pivot area of the mirror were designed properly, there would be chance for rubbing/squeaking. There would always be proper alignment/clearance and lubrication and so forth. Similar with the door/window seals; if they and their attachment mechanism were designed properly, they wouldn't come undone, or ever be sufficiently loose to be hanging out or whatever.

I just hope this is the kind of stuff they've learned from and are fixing in the Model 3. :(

On the topic of needing service... Will Tesla come pick your car up in lieu of giving you a loaner, if you don't need one? I would hate to have to drive 26 miles down to Dallas to take my car in for this kind of stuff. I'm keeping my old truck for at least a year after I get the Model 3 just in case.

16. ddimit

ddimit Member

I tend to agree the a lot of these QC issues should have been resolved a long time ago. 4 years in the car should be very predictable as to issues and failures but it seems to not be so.

There are some owners like me who seem to have little to no issues. and others that seem to have ongoing and never fully resolved ones.

My few small problems have always been resolved, Squeaking sunroof, clunking rear shocks replaced due to bad design. My biggest problem is every time it has gone in for a repair they have damaged something else. Last time the 3g cell modem failed and they damaged the dash replacing it. and in the past its been other things as well taking the car out of service longer than required to fix the initial issue it went in for.

Too be fair the Service Center has always been forthcoming and taken very good care of me.

But.. producing a care for this long these issues should have gone away in the first year or 2.

17. doofenshmirtz

doofenshmirtz Member

watch out for that 50K service on the CPO ..it costs 1K - I was just surprised

18. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

I agree that the continuous change means that the car they are producing today is not the same as in 2012.

19. James Anders

James Anders Member

Nonsense. There have been changes but each change is also an opportunity to tweak and improve. The fit and finish issues and things like faulty door handles, mirrors are independent of other changes (like D models).

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  20. oktane

oktane Active Member

The poor quality control is a matter of priorities. Sending rockets into space is fun. Sitting in the factory working on QC is not fun. Elon would rather work on fun projects instead of boring practical ones.

• Like x 1