Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

worst fears - need comfort

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. My worst fear about this car is starting to come about. I took delivery of this car on 1/24/17. Now I'm starting to get some issues with the car.

1. folding mirrors are getting squeaky and the driver side doesn't fully extend all the way almost 100% of the time.
2. driver side passenger door is making a weird click noise every time it opens
3. every time when i plug in the cable to charge i always get this yellow light blinking and the dashboard is giving me a "charge cable unlatched" problems.

All this is showing before I even hit 700miles on this car. Should I be worried or is this something similar people go through with their cars.

SIGH

bktiger86, this nothing. don't let it get you upset. (Your worse fear is someone hitting your baby in an intersection and totaling it.)
Write these issues down in an email. Send it to your local service center, asking for an appointment and a loaner. Put your UMC in your car if you are using it to charge with, so they can check it out too for you.
Take the car in and have 100% confidence that they will fix it all for you. Don't worry about it. Not a big deal, bubba.

P.S. I wasn't just saying this to comfort ya. Its a fact. They will take good care of you and the car.

Last edited:
bktiger86, this nothing. don't let it get you upset. (Your worse fear is someone hitting your baby in an intersection and totaling it.)
Write these issues down in an email. Send it to your local service center, asking for an appointment and a loaner. Put your UMC in your car if you are using it to charge with, so they can check it out too for you.
Take the car in and have 100% confidence that they will fix it all for you. Don't worry about it. Not a big deal, bubba.

No - he is right to be upset. It's a brand new car, at or near $100K - FIVE YEARS INTO PRODUCTION BEHAVING LIKE A YUGO.

To tell him "it's nothing" implies his time is worth nothing and he has nothing better to do but screw around with service centers on items which should have been fixed by quality control before they took his money. I love Tesla as much as anyone (I have one S, picking up another shortly, have two 3's reserved and may pick up an X next year for business) - but this quality control nonsense is getting old.

I got lucky apparently - my 2016 inventory 70D has not needed to go in for issues once in a year - but it's increasingly clear Tesla's QC attitude is "Ship the the car out the factory, see if customer will take it with obvious cosmetic imperfections at delivery and hope they will."

My own car still has several cosmetic imperfections I never bothered to deal with. The X I rented last week was delivered in August, has been to the service center several times already, has FWD's starting to make an awful racket, repeatedly had its radar fail during my rental and had a rear trunk which kept trying to knock me unconscious when I was getting things out.

Best cars in the world technologically? Yes. Quality needing work? Yes.

I can tell you unequivocally that a Chevy Bolt has much higher quality seals, connectors, and manufacturing process precision than a Tesla. It's not even close if you pay attention. Of course, Chevy has much more experience and probably using a much more expensive factory. And the Bolt is no fun to drive. :(

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18 and Vitold
All this is showing before I even hit 700miles on this car. Should I be worried or is this something similar people go through with their cars.

Tesla is still figuring out initial quality. Many people need things repaired shorty after getting the car that were missed at the factory, but then are good to go for a very long time once those first things are fixed.

I recently bought a used 2013, which if you read here a lot you might get the impression it was a horribly unreliable rattle-trap and best avoided. I had concerns but had resigned myself to owning an awesome but unreliable car. So far I have already added 3500 miles to its seasoned 40k and haven't had a single issue yet. My next SC visit should be my 50k service.

Way to go, that will make him feel really good.

Fine. In all fairness @bktiger86 - @Akikiki is correct about your problems most likely being fixed fast and completely. I agree with that. Also agree with @Az_Rael that after your "teething" problems are taken care of you most likely will have a well sorted Tesla that will last you many, many hundreds of thousands of miles of trouble free driving.

But this kind of thing - creaking mirrors - shouldn't be requiring owners to go back to get fixed. Yes Tesla is better than they used to be on this front and I have no doubt Elon is driving quality improvement as fast as possible - but it's still frustrating.

Fine. In all fairness @bktiger86 - @Akikiki is correct about your problems most likely being fixed fast and completely. I agree with that. Also agree with @Az_Rael that after your "teething" problems are taken care of you most likely will have a well sorted Tesla that will last you many, many hundreds of thousands of miles of trouble free driving.

But this kind of thing - creaking mirrors - shouldn't be requiring owners to go back to get fixed. Yes Tesla is better than they used to be on this front and I have no doubt Elon is driving quality improvement as fast as possible - but it's still frustrating.

I agree. Tesla needs to act more of a 90k-100k cars. I hate to do this, but you don't QC issues with like BMW. They tend to drive off the production line pretty good.

2. driver side passenger door is making a weird click noise every time it opens
WRT #2, we have a November Model S and on 2-3 occasions the front passenger-side door has made a clattering noise on closing. We found this was because the top of the inside door panel had come unclipped, and pressing (hard) on the top of the door snaps it back in and fixes the noise. I'm guessing there is a clip missing or broken (none of the other doors has ever done this)- when I have something more serious to fix I plan to ask them to fix this.

• Informative
Reactions: Jaff
WRT #2, we have a November Model S and on 2-3 occasions the front passenger-side door has made a clattering noise on closing. We found this was because the top of the inside door panel had come unclipped, and pressing (hard) on the top of the door snaps it back in and fixes the noise. I'm guessing there is a clip missing or broken (none of the other doors has ever done this)- when I have something more serious to fix I plan to ask them to fix this.

Interesting...I will check tomorrow to see if something is not pushed all the way

I just picked up a New Refreshed S90D on Feb 11th 2017. I have some of the same issues. Taking it in to service this morning. You are not alone. ;)

1. Drivers side mirror not unfolding fully. Seems to be temperature related, and also slightly squeaks.
2. Alignment is off. Car pulls to the left. I drove it off the lot with 6 miles on it. This is most disappointing.
3. Front bumper lower intake right side trim is not on correctly and slightly causing the painted lower bumper to bow out.
4. Driver side top part of door clicks when resting arm there. Perhaps I need to push the trim down to fully set and lock clips.

Hope all is resolved for you soon. At least I was able to rip off the front plate bracket with no paint damage.

All this is showing before I even hit 700miles on this car
Sorry about your issues. #1 and #2 seem minor and I'm sure Tesla can fix them. #3 is significant. Have you contacted Tesla about it? If not you should do so immediately.
FIVE YEARS INTO PRODUCTION BEHAVING LIKE A YUGO
That is an absurd exaggeration completely disconnected from reality. Perhaps you meant to insert an emoticon to indicate you were joking and forgot?

I just picked up a New Refreshed S90D on Feb 11th 2017. I have some of the same issues. Taking it in to service this morning. You are not alone. ;)

3. Front bumper lower intake right side trim is not on correctly and slightly causing the painted lower bumper to bow out.

Hope all is resolved for you soon. At least I was able to rip off the front plate bracket with no paint damage.

The cover for the tow hitch is in that area. If we are talking the same thing it might just not be seated properly.

Interesting...I will check tomorrow to see if something is not pushed all the way

I got my Model S towards end of December and have the same issues you described in #2. Along with the other where front passenger door was really hard and had to slam it to close. I had been to service once with the issues but still have the weird click noise every time I open the door.

Let us know if you find the resolution to it.

I've been pretty lucky so far I think in that I haven't had any major problems, but in the two months since I got my car I've had several minor issues with the door seals coming off or loose, sticking out when the doors are shut, etc. I've also had the passenger door upholstery become disconnected from the door itself a few times. All you have to do is push it back until it pops back in, but all of this is irritating on a $160,000 car.

I haven't been into the service center for any of this yet as it has been too minor to be worth a trip to see them. I was able to either pop the door seals back in myself, or in one case I used some double-sided mounting tape to hold it in place.

Reactions: oktane

1. Drivers side mirror not unfolding fully. Seems to be temperature related, and also slightly squeaks.
2. Alignment is off. Car pulls to the left. I drove it off the lot with 6 miles on it. This is most disappointing.
4. Driver side top part of door clicks when resting arm there. Perhaps I need to push the trim down to fully set and lock clips.

I had the mirror and clicking door panel issues. The service center fixed it quickly.

Reactions: Jaff