TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Worst nag ever?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by David_Cary, May 24, 2016.

1. David_Cary

David_Cary Member

So I'm on a perfectly straight interstate on a sunny morning with the sun to my back and the nag is like every 30 seconds. I have driven this road weekly and gone from every 5 min about 6 weeks ago to less than every 10 min for the last 6 weeks and today is horrible.

Mind you I drive it the same time every time.

I updated about a week ago with the summon change. My update before that (6 weeks ago?) was Mario road.

I've never seen every 30 seconds and it just kept going. Every 30 secs on a 25 mile drive. I even held the wheel for a full minute to try and reset it (oh the Horror!). Didn't work.

I cut my speed - to 70 - didn't help.

Visual is coming on in 20 secs with audible at 30.

Very disappointed. Software updates are definitely a double edge sword..

I have been a huge Tesla cheerleader. This sucks. I want my $2500 back and I would never recommend AP today

2. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

If you have a black 85D, I'll buy it and you can have my S85 with no auto pilot nagging at all...

• Funny x 3
  3. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

A whole minute? The horror, how did you survive?!?!?!?

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
  4. msnow

msnow Active Member

If you follow the instructions about holding the wheel there is no nag. Try it.

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  5. David_Cary

David_Cary Member

I've tried it but really the marketing materials have frequently discussed hands free driving...

But I expected the comments.

It has been over 6 months with "continual learning" and "improving". What a joke.

Anyone else have increased nag or was my car having a bad day. Further requests to keeps my hands on the wheel aren't that helpful. Directions to tape a soda can to the wheel would be helpful if it works.....

Of course I'll survive if I keep my hands on the wheel but does really limit the usefulness. And since TACC can't seem to be trusted to see a stopped car, and since summon can't be trusted to not hit stationary items if they are too high or too low and since the blind spot detectors don't really work.... Is it all worth $2500?

Let's face it - the sensors are inadequate. They can't come close to taking care of what was promised. And new cars still have the same sensor suite - almost 2 years later? Unbelievable. The one good thing it could do for me - maintain lane on a deserted straight interstate with miles of visibility without hands on wheel - is gone (for today at least).

6. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

The advertising was misleading. It said on-ramp to off-ramp, and with the current sensor suite that will never happen.

Tesla never explicitly said that you'll be able to take a nap, or that this is Level 3 autonomy, though it never corrected people when they assumed so (why would they? free money).

This is Level 2, you will always be responsible. I don't see a time when Tesla says (with the current hardware suite) "hey guys, we're confident enough now, take your hands off the wheel and go text your buddy"

7. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Try cleaning your sensors maybe? I don't notice an increase in nagging at all in the summon update.

• Like x 2
  8. donv

donv Member

Really? On my car, just holding the wheel isn't sufficient. You have to actually jiggle it a little bit to satisfy the nag. Is your car different?

9. wonko

wonko Member

The car seems to be nagging a lot more when the sensor's confidence levels go low. Make sure that the radar and the camera sensor have no obstructions. Clean the windshield in front of the middle rear view mirror to get rid of any glare that may interfere with machine vision. And if everything else fails, go to a SeC and have the sensor alignment checked.

• Helpful x 1
  10. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

Nagging is better for me than it has been. The worst for me was the first update with Summon, which reliably nagged every few minutes. Now I'm back to a more intermittent nag, no longer on any sort of regular schedule. It's still more often than it was with the original 7.0 release, but it's not all that often.

If you're seeing frequent nags, then either your software is acting differently, it's become more sensitive to whatever's on your roads, or something is wrong with your car. I wouldn't place any bets as to which is the most likely.

In any case, I often just hold the wheel lightly between my fingertips at the bottom. This isn't much of a burden, and even this light force is enough for the system to know I'm there.

Either way, it's absolutely worth $2,500 and I'm tremendously pleased with it. Here in the DC area, heavy traffic is the norm, and Autopilot takes that from a frustrating chore to an effortless breeze. It makes long trips far less stressful and tiring too. If I were buying again I'd pay for it without a second thought.

• Like x 2
  11. pedriscoll

pedriscoll True Blue Tesla Fan

I almost never get a nag, but I usually don' t go hands free for more than a minute or so. I find it very comfortable to just rest one hand lightly on the bottom of the wheel. That way I get no nags, am still letting the car do the driving, and am ready to take over at any time. For me it is definitely worth the $2500.

• Like x 1
  12. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Yeah it could be that something knocked one of the systems out of alignment, leading to lower confidence levels and more frequent nagging. Probably worth having it looked at it if you're sure the sensor areas are clean.

13. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

FWIW since my recent update to 2.18.77 I've had significantly fewer "nags" during freeway driving.

• Informative x 1
  14. Ryan MF

Ryan MF Member

Well I guess you could always buy a car from any of the other manufacturers that have more advanced auto pilot than Tesla. Or wait...

• Funny x 2
  15. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

There are almost unlimited interpretations of what was promised with autopilot, so you are certainly justified in your perspective. From my perspective, I see the sensor suite as entirely adequate for on-ramp to off-ramp hands free driving, once the nag is gone. And I do think the nag will go away. There have been changes to autosteer that lead me to believe tesla is going in that direction. Lately, people have been complaining that auto lane change has not been working consistently. What I have noticed is that is attempting to "clear" the lane better than it did before. For instance, if a car is passing on the left, and detected by the parking sensor, it will of course not begin to change lanes. As the car continues to pass, it enters into a blind spot where it can't be seen by the ultrasonic sensors and is not yet visible in the camera. Autosteer has to assume it is not safe to change lanes until it confirms the car with the forward camera, so it won't change lanes. My point is that the algorithm is getting tweaked; sometimes for the better, sometimes not.

As for summon, still assert that it can not be delivered as promised with the current sensor suite. "Pull out of your garage and pick you up at the front door" is quite a claim, and open to interpretation. I suppose if your front door is right along side of your driveway this might already be a delivered feature, but I interpret this as pulling out of the garage and navigating to a known location, all without hitting anything or driving off the paved surface. I just don't see it happening if it can't detect the edges of paved surfaces or too-low or too-high obstacles.

16. newtman

newtman Member

You want your money back because you have to keep a finger on the wheel while your car drives itself?

• Like x 2
  17. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

Just drove a few days ago to Austin and back (160 miles) on 2.18.77.. didn't nag me the way you described. Was updated to 2.18.91 today by service center, and drove 20-30 miles.. didn't nag me the way that you described. As a matter of fact, during the Austin drive, I was surprised by how long it would go without a nag.

18. msnow

msnow Active Member

Originally AP with 7.0 didn't have a nag but in order to satisfy regulators in multiple countries they put it in so I don't see it going away for a long, long time.

19. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I don't get very many nags at all. However, I have noticed that it nags at the same spot on the road every time, regardless of my speed. There was one drive where it seemed to be timed. I watched it. But that has not happened since. Sometimes I can go a good 30 minutes before anything. I would guess, on average, it is probably around every 10-15 minutes when I am on a longer drive.

I find it odd that it seems to be so different for so many drivers and I wonder if speed plays a part in its calculation. I have clearly seen how uncertainty does play a role. When she gets nervous, she nags.

20. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

So lemme try to understand your position. You have one day of weird behavior after weeks and weeks of good behavior and your first reaction is that you want your money back? Have you contacted Tesla about the behavior? Can you spell o*v*e*r*r*e*a*c*t*i*o*n ???

What does sound to me that is happening is some kind of bug or hardware issue which warrants a trip to the service center perhaps.