Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worst nag ever?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm on a perfectly straight interstate on a sunny morning with the sun to my back and the nag is like every 30 seconds. I have driven this road weekly and gone from every 5 min about 6 weeks ago to less than every 10 min for the last 6 weeks and today is horrible.

Mind you I drive it the same time every time.

I updated about a week ago with the summon change. My update before that (6 weeks ago?) was Mario road.

I've never seen every 30 seconds and it just kept going. Every 30 secs on a 25 mile drive. I even held the wheel for a full minute to try and reset it (oh the Horror!). Didn't work.

I cut my speed - to 70 - didn't help.

Visual is coming on in 20 secs with audible at 30.

Very disappointed. Software updates are definitely a double edge sword..

I have been a huge Tesla cheerleader. This sucks. I want my $2500 back and I would never recommend AP today
Sounds like damaged AP hardware to me, or obscured sensors as has been suggested.

Reactions: calisnow
I don't get very many nags at all. However, I have noticed that it nags at the same spot on the road every time, regardless of my speed. There was one drive where it seemed to be timed. I watched it. But that has not happened since. Sometimes I can go a good 30 minutes before anything. I would guess, on average, it is probably around every 10-15 minutes when I am on a longer drive.

I find it odd that it seems to be so different for so many drivers and I wonder if speed plays a part in its calculation. I have clearly seen how uncertainty does play a role. When she gets nervous, she nags.

Speed is definitely part of the nag frequency algorithm. Set the speed to the speed limit and it nags far less than if you set it 15 over.

I see on-ramp to off-ramp if this is what it is: I get on the freeway and into a lane and hit AP. I can use AP the whole time until I need to hit the off-ramp in which case I usually knock it off so I can exit. Maybe some of you expect more? I am super happy with what I have now and it's more than is available with any other manufacturer, right? It certainly makes traffic and long, boring stretches of freeway much more enjoyable and relaxing for me.

I see on-ramp to off-ramp if this is what it is: I get on the freeway and into a lane and hit AP. I can use AP the whole time until I need to hit the off-ramp in which case I usually knock it off so I can exit. Maybe some of you expect more? I am super happy with what I have now and it's more than is available with any other manufacturer, right? It certainly makes traffic and long, boring stretches of freeway much more enjoyable and relaxing for me.

Totally agree. Current autopilot is 95% of what the benefit of full autonomy will be - eliminating the fatigue of driving long distances and through heavy traffic. At least for this suburbanite who frequently drives into the city. If I lived inside a congested metropolis then perhaps I would be more anxious to get to Level 4 because much of my driving would be on surface streets with intersections, turns, etc.

Reactions: JenniferQ
What amazes me is that I do most of my driving on rural roads that are never straight (but easy to drive) and the car does beautifully, without more than one nag in 25 minutes, if that, going between 35-55. I'd say it's 95+% accurate in its ability to navigate the road. Not nearly enough to trust, for sure. Pretty impressive, nonetheless.

AP experiences (including the nag) vary so widely because their typical driving varies so much. I do most of my AP driving on perfect California freeways at 82 mph. I'm sure I get more nags because of my speed, and there are certain swooping turns I know the car will have trouble with at that speed. YMMV.

AP experiences (including the nag) vary so widely because their typical driving varies so much. I do most of my AP driving on perfect California freeways at 82 mph. I'm sure I get more nags because of my speed, and there are certain swooping turns I know the car will have trouble with at that speed. YMMV.

Where is this alternate-reality California of which you speak? Oh nm - you live in San Diego. :p

• Funny
On the way home - it was perfect. I've never seen such a difference. I think there were 2-3 nags on the way home in 26 miles - I was on the phone so I wasn't paying perfect attention.

So the almost summer sun washed it out? I should have taken pics - like I had written, sun was at my back. There was no significant glare. Or a sensor with intermittent failure?

Interestingly 2 months ago - nag seemed to be every 1, 3 or 5 minutes. Now it can be 20 secs or every 20 minutes. Would be nice if it gave us some hint as to why. Sometimes obvious - heavy turn. Othertimes - random.

I'm still disappointed at the lack of progress. And I suppose, better sensors could be in new cars and we don't know about it yet. And maybe, just maybe, they'll have a way of retrofitting better sensors to us.... (not holding breath).

To the poster who said AP is 95% of what full autonomy is - I don't think you appreciate what full autonomy gives us. I would say it is more like 10%. I doubt AP saves lives but maybe. AEB - that probably is good for 10%. But every safety device (like efficiency gain) has us changing behavior to mitigate the benefit.

To the poster who said AP is 95% of what full autonomy is - I don't think you appreciate what full autonomy gives us. I would say it is more like 10%. I doubt AP saves lives but maybe.

Elon claims that Tesla's data shows airbag deployments are chopped in half with AP - he based this on about 50 million miles of AP data. This claim was made in an interview with some Norwegian media a month or two ago - hasn't been discussed on TMC but there are numerous articles about his claim. Since he made that claim they are up to 100 million miles driven on AP and increasing at about 1 million miles every 10 hours.

Tesla’s Autopilot lowers probability of having an accident by 50% based on early data, says Musk

Now - how good is his data? Is he being fair - are the miles direct comparisons of the same routes at same time of day vs non-autopilot miles?

Dunno.

But given that AP is never distracted I can see it saving lives compared to error-prone, distracted humans.

Would AP save your life David Cary? If you're a very attentive person who doesn't chat on the phone, text, day dream looking at billboards, eat, etc. - maybe not. If however you are on the lower half of the bell curve of the driving population in terms of attentiveness I would wager it might very well save your life. Point being there is a huge portion of the driving public which could benefit right now from autopilot.

And data on other companies' active safety systems (such as automatic emergency braking) have shown that they do reduce accident rates at statistically significant rates.

I'm ridiculously happy with my autopilot - yes I'll trade it in for full autonomy ass soon as it arrives - but again for me, today's autopilot has taken me to a place where I am not chomping at the bit for full autonomy. Full autonomy will let me actually go to sleep and take a nap - that's the final frontier.

Last edited:
Reactions: newtman
I am in a quandary. I would definitely trade in my car if full autonomy arrives, except that I'd now have to take said car with a center console. Oh, the horrors of the 1%... ;)
Not sure, if it was for real or just a photoshop, but I saw a picture of the configurator where the middle console was an option. And I am sorry, for the life of me I cannot remember where I saw it.

• Love
I am in a quandary. I would definitely trade in my car if full autonomy arrives, except that I'd now have to take said car with a center console. Oh, the horrors of the 1%... ;)

Yup, life is really tough. I don't want a center console either. The storage would be nice but on long drives I like to move my legs around and let my right knee relax where the center console would be while autopilot drives.

So I'm on a perfectly straight interstate on a sunny morning with the sun to my back and the nag is like every 30 seconds. I have driven this road weekly and gone from every 5 min about 6 weeks ago to less than every 10 min for the last 6 weeks and today is horrible.

Mind you I drive it the same time every time.

I updated about a week ago with the summon change. My update before that (6 weeks ago?) was Mario road.

I've never seen every 30 seconds and it just kept going. Every 30 secs on a 25 mile drive. I even held the wheel for a full minute to try and reset it (oh the Horror!). Didn't work.

I cut my speed - to 70 - didn't help.

Visual is coming on in 20 secs with audible at 30.

Very disappointed. Software updates are definitely a double edge sword..

I have been a huge Tesla cheerleader. This sucks. I want my $2500 back and I would never recommend AP today
I think you're holding it wrong :)

• Funny
I have complained about the nag since day one. 95% of the time the nag accomplishes nothing. By the time it forces you to torque the steering wheel it has long ago already locked back on to the lane lines or it never lost the lane lines. Being distracted by the nag and having to torque the steering wheel to appease the nag makes using autopilot way less safe and annoying as hell. There is another level of nag I've seen that is fine with me. It is apparently when it has lost the lane lines for an extended amount of time. It produces a much stronger nag telling you to take over. That is the only nag that should be in play.