TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Worst Thing About The Tesla Model S? Driving Anything Else Afterwards

Discussion in 'News' started by yobigd20, Apr 16, 2013.

1. aznt1217

aznt1217 Active Member

I drive an S2000 (Arguably one of the best ICE driver's cars made)... and test drove a Model S. Regret every single day because I can't afford a Model S yet :( thank goodness I drive one day a week only lol

2. K Hall

K Hall Member

So very true.

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I have an S2000, which is used exclusively for lapping and autocross... and driving to lapping and autocross. It's an awesome driver's car on the track, but not particularly comfortable driving on the street... driving a Model S is as utterly different an experience as you can get!

4. Volker.Berlin

Volker.Berlin Member

5. vetboy45

vetboy45 Member

I couldn't agree more. It's very much like an electric light bulb vs an oil lamp. It can also be really dangerous to switch back. I find myself thinking that I have plenty of room to merge into traffic, pressing on the accelerator (gotta get out of the habit of calling it the gas pedal) and not going anywhere while the engine makes all kinds of racket. I've had a few moments of panic and had to wave a sheepish "I'm sorry" to a few drivers. I'm strongly considering getting rid of our last ICE vehicle and getting a ford focus electric in addition to the tesla. I should have gotten the tesla second though because nothing else really measures up.

6. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

Just refer to the accelerator as the "Torque Pedal". :smile:

While I don't have a Model S I would say the lack of regen braking throws me off for a bit when going back to an ICE. Sure, you can engine brake but it doesn't slow you down nearly as fast as regen does (at least it doesn't feel like it) and the ICE makes all sorts of noise in the process.

7. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

I drive an A6 and did the same thing. Now I'm always depressed behind the wheel.