Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worst windshield wipers ever experienced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just drove through my first snow storm in the X. I am in total shock at how completely and utterly useless the wipers were. They seemed to have almost zero ability to clear the windshield and it led to extremely dangerous driving conditions. I realized they were terrible compared to other cars with their very poor rain clearing ability, but that was at least manageable. My first car, a Mk2 VW Golf back in 1987 had better snow clearing ability than the X.

Is there a problem with the wipers on my (brand new) X or are they all like this? The rest of the car was great, tires and AWD handled snow more than adequately - I just couldn't see anything.

Are there any after market wiper solutions that might help?

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: spectrum and P85_DA
I honestly don't believe it's a design issue. I was in the storm 3 times yesterday with once after the vehicle was outside for about 5 hours and snow covered. The wipers worked normally all day for me.

Perhaps you blades are defective or the was ice stuck in the wrong part?

Regarding the AWD, I actually left work to leave the Accord in the garage and bring back the X fearing the afternoon would be even worse. The X was wonderful on the all seasons, but still planning on putting the winters on tomorrow... 2 days too late, lol.

My only grip with the wipers is that I wish the setting dropped to one slower automatically when stopped at a light. It's hilarious seeing/hearing the blades going nuts when the vehicle is at a complete stop.

Just drove through my first snow storm in the X. I am in total shock at how completely and utterly useless the wipers were. They seemed to have almost zero ability to clear the windshield and it led to extremely dangerous driving conditions. I realized they were terrible compared to other cars with their very poor rain clearing ability, but that was at least manageable. My first car, a Mk2 VW Golf back in 1987 had better snow clearing ability than the X.

Is there a problem with the wipers on my (brand new) X or are they all like this? The rest of the car was great, tires and AWD handled snow more than adequately - I just couldn't see anything.

Wipers are a warranty item. You do not want to try anything aftermarket (if there is anything). If they are bad, visit your SC

There's a trick to the car. I was very frustrated with mine at first; but it's been phenomenal since I figured it out.

1) Make sure it's clear under the wipers. If it's not, it causes some pretty bad buildup.
- Service -> Wiper Service Mode
- Clean the pocket where the wipers go. If you don't, the wipers grab the ice chunks from here and them smear them across the windshield. Worse yet, it starts building up and eventually will cause the wiper blades to bounce and lift off the windshield.

2a) Wait a couple of minutes, then turn on your front defroster to heat/Hi. This will help keep your wipers warm as well as melt any ice that may be on it. Warm wipers = flexible wipers = effective wipers.
**Do not do this if you're not out in the cold already (ie in garage) Doing so will heat up your windshield; then when you go out into the cold; instant cracked windshield.

2b) If you have the subzero package, or a later car where it was included. Turn on your wiper heaters. This will help with de-icing. This alone is not enough in heavy or thick and wet snow.

3) Turn your wipers to the fastest setting. This flings the melted water off the blades and keeps them clean for wiping.

I drove an AP1 MX yesterday in the same storm w/o heated wipers and had a nice clear view. Having the subzero package just makes it that much easier.

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan and gavine
I know I’m having some trouble with my wipers too. I’ve even contemplated it being the windshield with how smeary andrandomly being focused/unfocused and all the spotches. I’m a little annoyed the wipers are a warranty item. I wish I could just change them myself

I know I’m having some trouble with my wipers too. I’ve even contemplated it being the windshield with how smeary andrandomly being focused/unfocused and all the spotches. I’m a little annoyed the wipers are a warranty item. I wish I could just change them myself

The heart of the issue isn’t windshield size, although that contributes to it. My S and my X have the same general performance when it comes to wiping.

Our cars were designed with a pocket for the wipers for aerodynamic reasons. Our wipers recess into this when not wiping. Most ICE cars don’t have this pocket. Those that do, have the advantage of some minor engine compartment heat and sometimes supplement with heating/defroster elements built into the windshield. While we have the heating elements, we don’t have a 200F generator leaking heat to help melt the rest. (Notice our front hoods will stay covered in snow, ICE will melt it)

What that means is the pocket ends up trapping ice and snow. With every swipe of the wiper where your wipers touch this pocket; your wipers start building a snow/ice ball. The little heating just adds to the problem. Think back to your snowball/snowmen building days. Wet snow holds together and becomes solid. Or other advice - licking a cold pole with your warm wet tongue results in a glued tongue. Melting snow with a bucket of hot water = a sheet of ice. Etc.

So the wiper swipes across the windshield where it’s cold and freezes. Goes down into the pocket full of ice and wet snow, grabs a bunch and goes across the cold windshield to freeze and smear. Repeat until a large ice ball forms on the blade. This is why it’s so important to clear out that space so heres no ice/snow to grab onto.

That’s one piece of it. The next is applicable to all cars. We heat the windshield so that liquid doesn’t refreeze when it swipes across the windshield. It’s a learning curve, but the wipers are actually pretty good.

The pair I have has over 35,000 miles and is from 2016 and my windshield was crystal clear. I can also say that I’ve gotten phone calls from my wife swearing that she can’t see. The wipers are horrible. There’s terrible ice build up. Only for me to show up to where she decided to park, switch cars and give her the one that has the pocket clean, windshield heaters on; do the same on hers and then have no issues on either car.

I’ve requested for Tesla to add a subzero mode to enable the settings above because I know they work. Unfortunately it’s a bunch of configurations. But a lot of settings help driving in the snow - disable automatic lowering, enable chill mode for driving in snow. A one push button to enable all this.

Yinn - I think you have nailed the explanation there as this is exactly what was happening to me. The storm was a mix of snow and rain in sub zero temperatures and ice blocks were building up on the wipers. I had to get out of the car a few times to break the ice off the wipers with my hands. The issue is, even if you clear out the pocket it will quickly fill again while driving.

I have had plenty of mid / rear engine sports cars cars including a 911 Turbo which I have driven in icy / snowy conditions, it has no engine in front to provide residual heat and I have not experienced this same phenomenon. Its probably entirely down to the pocket design as you mention.

In general though, even in rain I find the clearing ability very substandard - the wipers seem to just smear the water around the windshield leaving long arcs of water lines at the wiper tips. I feel the wiping design / blades are somehow compromised.

Yinn - I think you have nailed the explanation there as this is exactly what was happening to me. The storm was a mix of snow and rain in sub zero temperatures and ice blocks were building up on the wipers. I had to get out of the car a few times to break the ice off the wipers with my hands. The issue is, even if you clear out the pocket it will quickly fill again while driving.

I have had plenty of mid / rear engine sports cars cars including a 911 Turbo which I have driven in icy / snowy conditions, it has no engine in front to provide residual heat and I have not experienced this same phenomenon. Its probably entirely down to the pocket design as you mention.

In general though, even in rain I find the clearing ability very substandard - the wipers seem to just smear the water around the windshield leaving long arcs of water lines at the wiper tips. I feel the wiping design / blades are somehow compromised.

You’re right! I had a 986 and a 987 but lapsed that they had the same lack of heat, but I also rarely took those out in heavy snow.

If you get the smears in rain, then yea something is off with the wipers and it’s time for a car wash or wiper replacement. There shouldn’t be any missed spots in just rain.