Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worth buying 18 inch flow forged wheels versus sticking with 19 inch Gemini wheels when getting new Vredstein tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting new Vredstein AS tires. Trying to decide if there are sufficient benefits to spending $1700 + for flow forged TSportline wheels for 255/55/18 Vredstein tires or just sticking with current Gemini oem wheels and getting 255/45/19 Vredesteins. I don’t mind the ride on my 19s though haven’t taken my Y on rougher forest service roads which I plan to do quite a bit once recover from hiking injury.
Also planning to eventually get MPP lift kit for being able to drive to more trailheads in Pacific Northwest. Not sure if this should sway decision. Although 18 wheels are lighter not finding posts saying significantly better range with 18s versus 19. So thoughts on any major benefits to 18s versus sticking with OEM wheels and saving the money for something that provides more benefits. Thank you.

Thank you. Do you know if the 18 inch t sportline would provide better protection with potholes on forest service roads or are Gemini strong enough?
Protection from a broken wheel? I would presume that both are strong enough for any service road pothole. You aren't going fast enough to create any real impact. Though an 18 inch wheel would give you an extra inch of rubber cushion. You get an extra 2 inches if you go with 255/55-18.

My Replika wheels, same spec as Gemini with 255/50/19 Vredestein tires. And MPP lift

Attachments

• B6D45695-3402-480D-9D82-0FB7DA2AF4EA.jpeg
    B6D45695-3402-480D-9D82-0FB7DA2AF4EA.jpeg
    490.4 KB · Views: 161
Reactions: PNWLeccy
For us the 19" Geminis haven't been an issue on the forest service roads we've taken. But they were mostly highway legal roads only (in this area). The bigger issue on the ORV roads is ground clearance overall. The only other significant disadvantage to the larger rim will be you would lose any opportunity to air down for traction and also rim protection from getting hooked in ruts due to the poor rim width/tire width issue, but that's a "curb rash" issue, nothing otherwse significant.

Last edited:
For us the 19" Geminis haven't been an issue on the forest service roads we've taken. But they were mostly highway legal roads only (in this area). The bigger issue on the ORV roads is ground clearance overall. The only other significant disadvantage to the larger rim will be you would lose any opportunity to air down for traction and also rim protection from getting hooked in ruts due to the poor rim width/tire width issue, but that's a "curb rash" issue, nothing otherwse significant.
Thank you.