Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worth buying an M3P at this point?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BMWY

Mar 29, 2021
SJ
Given that the Model 3 platform is in the late stages of its lifecycle and with the new battery tech on the horizon, would you guys say that it’s still worth getting an M3P right now? Debating between the M3P and MYP (Austin built hopefully) right now and it’s a tough one.

• Funny
Reactions: BMWM3Man
Given that the Model 3 platform is in the late stages of its lifecycle

This is a given? What do you mean by "late stages of its lifecycle"? Model 3s were released very late in 2017, started shipping in volume in 2018, this is 4 years later. Tesla iterates all the time, but given that your user name is "BMWY", perhaps you are looking at this through the BMW lens of "4 year refresh" like BMW does (and tesla doesnt do that).

Given that the Model 3 platform is in the late stages of its lifecycle and with the new battery tech on the horizon, would you guys say that it’s still worth getting an M3P right now? Debating between the M3P and MYP (Austin built hopefully) right now and it’s a tough one.
@BMWY To me the Model 3 and Model Y are very different cars, even though yes they look and feel super similar. Based on my test drives of 2021 cars, the Model 3 feels much better to drive, but the Model Y is obviously way better for hauling cargo and people. What are your priorities? (And the Y isn't slow at all...I just didn't like how it felt or sounded.)

We were shopping for a 2nd car, we still have our big hatchback Model S P85, so we went for the M3P. I'm very glad we did, it's a blast to drive and I really like driving it much more than a Y. But if we had been shopping for a car to replace our S, I don't think the 3 would work for us!

I'm with @UncertainTimes and everyone else who thumb'd up that post - if my M3P were totaled today I would order another one in a heartbeat! There's no other fun 4 door daily driver on the market that I'd rather have.

Also note that "late stages" isn't really true, the Model 3 has received significant improvements over the years. Driving performance is the same as earlier ones, but refinement, efficiency, and more (e.g. MCU3) are greatly improved since the earlier cars. Heck performance has increased too! But via a software update issue to all of them. :)

@BMWY I will say one more thing...I do think the M3P is due for another power upgrade soonish. And my guess is it'll only be for new cars with new hardware. To me the M3P is plenty quick already, but if you crave massive power and you don't need a new car right now, maybe it is worth waiting longer to see what Tesla has in store for the M3P.

I have no inside info on this, it's just a guess based on the market/competition catching up plus Tesla's own advancing tech as shown in the new Model S. Tesla clearly can make an even quicker M3P if they want to, and I think there is some market incentive to do so soon.

it's just a guess based on the market/competition catching up

Like whom?

The new BMW EV is a 1000 lb heavier, slower, worse handling, more expensive pig compared to the current Model 3.

What competition is out there that can do 0-60 in ~3 flat for under 60 grand?

Hell most of the "competition" struggles (and often fails) to keep up with just a boosted LR AWD Model 3.

plus Tesla's own advancing tech as shown in the new Model S. Tesla clearly can make an even quicker M3P if they want to, and I think there is some market incentive to do so soon.

I don't really see how.

The S is faster for a lot of tiny reasons, but the big one is adding a 3rd motor. Which would add massive manufacturing complexity to the much-higher-volume Model 3.

Plus, as mentioned, it's still significantly quicker than anything comparable without it.

The Performance Model 3 will only have been in production 4 years as of this coming June or so. Not seeing how that's "old" either... and it has gotten continual upgrades the whole time with more features, and range.... Other cars in its class (3 series, C-class, Lexus IS, Infiniti G, etc) have all gone 7-10 years between generations.

As to batteries- the new 4680s are going into Austin Ys first- then Berlin Ys. And it's likely the overall specs will be about the same as the ones using current 2170 cells to avoid anyone rejecting a car because of which cells it comes with.

If the 4680 has denser power they'll just need less cells per car to hit the same specs- meaning they can make more cars with the same # of cells- great for Tesla, but no performance benefit for anyone.

The next large #s of 4680s will go into Semis and Cybertrucks.

The 3 is unlikely to see them for years yet.... nor does it need them.

Last edited:
@Knightshade I agree with everything you wrote there, and for me the M3P is still clearly tops in its price range for a host of reasons beyond just 0-60. But there's more and more competition getting close in terms of numbers, if not actual driving experience. I'm referring to ICE and EV competition, in case that wasn't clear. Whereas 3 years ago nothing under $100k was even close (ICE or EV).

By all accounts the new base Model S (formerly MSLR) with only 2 motors pulls much harder than the M3P at high speeds. That's the acceleration improvement I was referring to. And while that car is not quicker 0-60, previous dual motor S performance models were, it's certainly doable with 2 motors. Though I do hope the M3P and similar cars move to 3 and 4 motors someday, for superior traction if not for any extra power. :)

I really feel no need for quicker acceleration than my M3P has already, but if I could get more and had to pick between 0-60 or top end, I'd rather more top end. Your preferences may vary. :)

If you going for Model Y, then you are very close at the new batteries as some are produced. But if you are going after model 3 and want new tech, there is unknown amount of wait time. I have model 3 and if i were to buy a Tesla now would definitely got for the Y as its a bit bigger and newer batteries might be interesting for weight, power, etc

But there's more and more competition getting close in terms of numbers, if not actual driving experience. I'm referring to ICE and EV competition, in case that wasn't clear. Whereas 3 years ago nothing under $100k was even close (ICE or EV).

I guess I still don't really see the competition "getting close" ICE or EV....can you give me some examples (other than a C8 vette)?

I don't really consider stuff that costs 25-50% more to hit the same times (the M3 competition for example) or stuff that runs 25-50% slower (the Lexus IS500 for example) as "close"....Most anything genuinely close in price struggles to get a 0-60 under 4.... which barely puts it on par with a NON boosted LR AWD, let alone the boosted one or the P.

FWIW last time I recall this discussion coming up nobody really had anything good as examples either...

The quickest 5 vehicles 0-60 under $60,000 at the time were:

1. C8 base corvette at ~3 flat
2. Tesla Model 3 Performance at ~3 flat

that's it under 3.5 seconds. The next 3?

3. Tesla Model 3 LR AWD with boost ~3.5
4. Audi RS3 at ~3.7
5. Tesla model 3 LR AWD without boost ~3.9

If you're willing to go up another 5-10k in price you can get a Hellcat or a Camaro ZL1 that'll run similar 0-60s to the middle Tesla on the list.

Everyone else was either north of 4 seconds, or north of $75-80 grand...(or both in some cases!)

That list was from over a year ago though... so what competition has come along to add to it, specifically?

Last edited:
Even better, what if it could fully drive itself? 😲

bored-boring.gif

Debating between the M3P and MYP
Apples and oranges. Find a Tesla dealer that has them both, arrange test drives, and you'll likely notice quite a difference. To me, the MYP drives like a very quick minivan and isn't exactly grin-inducing, unless every road you drive on has no corners and is perfectly smooth.

The M3P, on the other hand - all smiles, all the time.

I guess I still don't really see the competition "getting close" ICE or EV....can you give me some examples (other than a C8 vette)?

I don't really consider stuff that costs 25-50% more to hit the same times (the M3 competition for example) or stuff that runs 25-50% slower (the Lexus IS500 for example) as "close"....Most anything genuinely close in price struggles to get a 0-60 under 4.... which barely puts it on par with a NON boosted LR AWD, let alone the boosted one or the P.

FWIW last time I recall this discussion coming up nobody really had anything good as examples either...

The quickest 5 vehicles 0-60 under $60,000 at the time were:

1. C8 base corvette at ~3 flat
2. Tesla Model 3 Performance at ~3 flat

that's it under 3.5 seconds. The next 3?

3. Tesla Model 3 LR AWD with boost ~3.5
4. Audi RS3 at ~3.7
5. Tesla model 3 LR AWD without boost ~3.9

If you're willing to go up another 5-10k in price you can get a Hellcat or a Camaro ZL1 that'll run similar 0-60s to the middle Tesla on the list.

Everyone else was either north of 4 seconds, or north of $75-80 grand...(or both in some cases!)

That list was from over a year ago though... so what competition has come along to add to it, specifically?

The 2022 M240i is in the club with its 0-60 mph in 3.6 seconds and under $60k US. Not even a true M-car but the B58/S58 engines are monsters especially with xDrive. GR Supra is even less money and also under 4 seconds 0-60 even with RWD.

• Informative
Reactions: Pkmmte
The 2022 M240i is in the club with its 0-60 mph in 3.6 seconds and under $60k US. Not even a true M-car but the B58/S58 engines are monsters especially with xDrive. GR Supra is even less money and also under 4 seconds 0-60 even with RWD.

🥱