Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worth buying an M3P at this point?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 2022 M240i is in the club with its 0-60 mph in 3.6 seconds and under $60k US. Not even a true M-car but the B58/S58 engines are monsters especially with xDrive. GR Supra is even less money and also under 4 seconds 0-60 even with RWD.
If those (or any) 2 door coupes were in my possible choices then I don't see how any 4 door car is in consideration. Buying a 2 door says you are looking for fun above all else and not concerned about practicality at all for a new car. In that case I'd be looking at the ones you mentioned plus the C8 and some others. I just don't see anyone realistically shopping those kinds of cars against a Model 3.

Given that the Model 3 platform is in the late stages of its lifecycle and with the new battery tech on the horizon, would you guys say that it’s still worth getting an M3P right now? Debating between the M3P and MYP (Austin built hopefully) right now and it’s a tough one.

If you are looking at the full casts and 4680 pack, I think it's fair to say we are at least a year away from M3 changes at that scale.

I've heard of no plans to build M3 at Austin nor M3 changeover in Fremont. Also, there is no word on MY changeover in Fremont.

Musk himself said Austin would take all of 2022 to ramp up. In my opinion, that means 50% capacity by EOY, similar to Shanghai. By then pickup location my be a factor.

The 2022 M240i is in the club with its 0-60 mph in 3.6 seconds and under $60k US. Not even a true M-car but the B58/S58 engines are monsters especially with xDrive. GR Supra is even less money and also under 4 seconds 0-60 even with RWD.

So that'd put the BMW at #4, behind both the NON performance Model 3 with boost by about 1/10th 0-60, and several tenths in the 1/4 mile... and WELL behind the actual Performance Model 3. (we're ignoring the 2-door or size/space factors, since there was a vette on the list anyway)

The as-tested price DOES manage to come in at "only" $58,995 though so congrats on at least making the list :)

As to the Supra, they claim 3.7 in the story, but then in the actual specs they list 3.8 (and again a 1/4 in the 12s- keeping the old joke about Supras alive and well) so.... I suppose that does, barely, beat the non-boosted LR AWD....well behind the boosted one, and over 20% slower than the performance model 3....but yup, does make the under-60k list.

So to be clear I appreciate the updates for the list, but neither is really "close" to the #s the P puts down... they're not even quite as good as the non-P with boost

Updated list:

Vehicles under 4.0 0-60 and under $60,000:

1. C8 base corvette at ~3 flat (ahead of #2 using 1/4 mile as tiebreaker)
2. Tesla Model 3 Performance at ~3 flat
3. Tesla Model 3 LR AWD with boost ~3.5
4. BMW M240i at ~3.6
5. Audi RS3 at ~3.7
6. Toyota Supra 5th gen at ~3.8
7. Tesla model 3 LR AWD without boost ~3.9

If you're willing to go up another 5-10k you can get a Hellcat or a Camaro ZL1 that'll run similar 0-60s to the middle Tesla on the list.

• Informative
Reactions: focher and Ciaopec
Vehicles under 4.0 0-60 and under $60,000:

1. C8 base corvette at ~3 flat (ahead of #2 using 1/4 mile as tiebreaker)
2. Tesla Model 3 Performance at ~3 flat
3. Tesla Model 3 LR AWD with boost ~3.5
4. BMW M240i at ~3.6
5. Audi RS3 at ~3.7
6. Toyota Supra 5th gen at ~3.8
7. Tesla model 3 LR AWD without boost ~3.9

But this comparison ignores that those other cars require oil changes, 2-pedal driving, visiting gas stations and paying $4-5 per gallon, exhaust fumes, noisy engines, complicated transmissions, etc.

Since the list is about cars under $60k, value is part of the equation (not just speed). The added value of an EV with nationwide Superchargers would easily hoist the M3 to the top of this list, IMO.

Perhaps the list shouldn't contain ICE vehicles? Then it'd just be 3 Model 3s 😛

I look at Tesla as very differenty from legacy car manufacturers. Legacy manufacturers make a car and pay for advertising, pay off the car magazines to make good reviews, and pay off the government to promote them and make it easier/better for customers to buy them (dealership laws). So it's in their best interest to take your money and immediately obsolesce it. If they don't update it and leave the customer feeling like the only way to make their car better is to buy a new one, the advertising and other factors will push them to do that.

Tesla on the other hand, makes good cars and they continually update them. The fact that your Tesla is constantly improving and keeping up with newer models (with no intervention by you) will allow you to keep the car longer and more importantly, you'll end up "advertising" for them. People underestimate the power of word-of-mouth but it's the reason Tesla is smacking the competition! Loyal customers who keep their cars longer is a good thing and one reason why "life cycle" doesn't apply to Teslas the way it does other cars.

Mike

But this comparison ignores that those other cars require oil changes, 2-pedal driving, visiting gas stations and paying $4-5 per gallon, exhaust fumes, noisy engines, complicated transmissions, etc.

Since the list is about cars under $60k, value is part of the equation (not just speed). The added value of an EV with nationwide Superchargers would easily hoist the M3 to the top of this list, IMO.

Perhaps the list shouldn't contain ICE vehicles? Then it'd just be 3 Model 3s 😛

Well,....when I challenged the idea someone had that "the competition is catching up" I asked for examples of that.

ICE was the only ones I got (and apart from the C8, they don't appear to actually be remotely near catching up to the P, they just got slightly less hilariously far behind)

So it is what it is as the kids say.

Reactions: focher
I guess if you want an SUV, b/c in my mind the M3 and MY serve very different purposes. Sounds like you’re leaning towards 4680 either way , so I’d say wait a month or two, and roll the dice with a MYP order.

As far as the Model 3 vs Model Y goes, unless you really want the extra space or think it might have better resale I would get the Model 3. The Model 3 Performance is cheaper, faster, has more range, and IMO much better looking compared to the Model Y Performance.

I understand this is personal taste to an extent but I also don't care for the looks of the Model Y, it strikes me as an ugly car compared to the model 3. There are a couple in my neighborhood that I see all the time and they look too tall and have this sort of bulbous profile from the side like an aerodynamic bicycle helmet on wheels. By contrast I love the looks of the Model 3, especially the performance in white, silver, or red with the larger wheels and lower stance. I smile every time I walk towards it in a parking lot and think "man that is a sweet looking car" and feel lucky to have it.

Reactions: Skione65 and house9
Pros and cons to both as ICE can achieve those results repeatedly over and over in hot or cold weather unlike EV's that start losing power when not fully charged and lose power considerably in the cold.
I tell my wife that going out with less than 50% battery is risky for exactly that reason. I don't want someone to roll up on me at a light and I only have 75% of my acceleration available. :D

She thinks this is stupid of course...

I would have to agree. Unless you absolutely need the extra space the Model 3 is dynamically the superior vehicle and it also looks a lot better as the proportions of the Model y are off as it has the appearance of a fattened up Model 3.

Reactions: tm1v2
How much does performance drop off when say half battery compared to full charge?
Nor sure if there is an updated version of this but I remember mountain pass tested this a while back and posted the dyno.

Tesla-Model-3-SOC-Dyno-Results.jpg

I tell my wife that going out with less than 50% battery is risky for exactly that reason. I don't want someone to roll up on me at a light and I only have 75% of my acceleration available. :D

She thinks this is stupid of course...
That's funny as I'm on a lot of other car forums and you see posts about people cursing the Tesla drivers trying to race everyone (maybe this happens more in California where they are everywhere?) but where I live at least it seems almost all the Tesla drivers are driving with the flow of the traffic and not pulling off any douchebaggery (maybe until I get one ;)). I always assume that most of those drivers are simply trying their best to maximize range over flexing their muscles.

• Funny
Reactions: tm1v2
That's funny as I'm on a lot of other car forums and you see posts about people cursing the Tesla drivers trying to race everyone (maybe this happens more in California where they are everywhere?) but where I live at least it seems almost all the Tesla drivers are driving with the flow of the traffic and not pulling off any douchebaggery. I always assume that most of those drivers are simply trying their best to maximize range over flexing their muscles.
I drive very chill most of the time but if I'm at a light next to a hemi, mustang, corvette, camaro etc... and they look at me I'll punch it. Gotta have a little fun sometimes.

Around here I guess ICE drivers are better informed, I've had my 3 since late 2018 and very rarely does anyone with a legitimately decently fast car seem to be interested in any sort of racing because they know better.

Was a very different story in the same locations when I had ICE vehicles.

Now the only thing I ever seem to get is some idiot in a civic with a fistable muffler trying to deafen me with gerbil noises.

Reactions: focher
That's funny as I'm on a lot of other car forums and you see posts about people cursing the Tesla drivers trying to race everyone (maybe this happens more in California where they are everywhere?) but where I live at least it seems almost all the Tesla drivers are driving with the flow of the traffic and not pulling off any douchebaggery (maybe until I get one ;)). I always assume that most of those drivers are simply trying their best to maximize range over flexing their muscles.
It's because the Model 3 driver already knows they are faster. They have nothing to prove.

Reactions: Thp3
Around here I guess ICE drivers are better informed, I've had my 3 since late 2018 and very rarely does anyone with a legitimately decently fast car seem to be interested in any sort of racing because they know better.

Was a very different story in the same locations when I had ICE vehicles.

Now the only thing I ever seem to get is some idiot in a civic with a fistable muffler trying to deafen me with gerbil noises.
Most folks know what’s up at this point but I’ll still catch some folks from time to time that want to play. Some know they get smoked but just want to see it happen then give me a thumbs up or a shaka it’s all good fun. When I had my WRX I’d test cars I knew were faster than me just because it’s fun even though I knew I’d lose.

True story I pulled up to a stoplight late last year with a Hemi Challenger to my left and a Ford Mustang GT500 on my right. My wife looks over at me and says “don’t even think about it”. Sometimes u just gotta take your medicine 😂 … I figure she has to forgive me eventually.

• Funny
Reactions: Skione65 and focher