Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worth checking jack points on collection - transit damage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You should only support/jack the underside of the car at these 4 locations otherwise you will damage the battery.

The jack pads (hockey pucks) allow the jack to be precisely aligned (and stay aligned when adjusting/jacking) with these positions and provide a standoff between body and jack to prevent the jack from damaging that small key section of bodywork. Some jacks will be worse than others, but you sometimes don't get a choice with what is being used to lift your car. Keeping a set on board and informing the person doing the jacking that you wish them to be used will mean that the jack point and surrounding bodywork should be protected no matter what is being used for the lift.

Lots of threads with lots of different solutions, but this one has pictures to illustrate the potential issue Jack Points - notice how the small safe area is in the diagram. IMHO, without seeing area, my feeling is that the proposed device may be a little too big. My current preference is a more solid hockey puck design which should keep things clear of the sill area.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
You should only support/jack the underside of the car at these 4 locations otherwise you will damage the battery.

The jack pads (hockey pucks) allow the jack to be precisely aligned (and stay aligned when adjusting/jacking) with these positions and provide a standoff between body and jack to prevent the jack from damaging that small key section of bodywork. Some jacks will be worse than others, but you sometimes don't get a choice with what is being used to lift your car. Keeping a set on board and informing the person doing the jacking that you wish them to be used will mean that the jack point and surrounding bodywork should be protected no matter what is being used for the lift.

Lots of threads with lots of different solutions, but this one has pictures to illustrate the potential issue Jack Points - notice how the small safe area is in the diagram. IMHO, without seeing area, my feeling is that the proposed device may be a little too big. My current preference is a more solid hockey puck design which should keep things clear of the sill area.
Thanks Vanilla! I’m learning all the time...
I see there’s a set of four on Amazon for £22. Hopefully I’ll never have to use them. ;)

Doesn't like great, I'm going to look like a crazy person checking all the stuff when I collect mine.

I have a set of 4 of the round rubber jack pads (the ones with the red o-ring and a '3' etched into the nipple), got from ebay.

IMG_20190817_094656.jpg
Well, amongst all the other stuff I didn't get a chance to check at the time and looking today things are less than ideal. Adding this to my appointment in a couple of weeks.... Or should I just put paint on these myself to prevent corrosion.....

You are absolutely not being super nit picky! You’ve spent £40-50k on this chunk of rusting metal :eek:
On the whole I'm really happy with just about everything, it's just one small scuff on the bumper and these rear jack points. I'll see how my appointment goes, I'm hoping they'll be able to sort both while I wait (or by the next day at worse) otherwise I'm going to need to rearrange, appointment is close to a short holiday!

Just tested with a magnet and it doesn't stick so I'm gonna leave them 'till my appointment. I was mostly worried about rust setting in there.

Reactions: Roy W.
A few scratches = a easy fix / nothing to really worry about. I’m sure Tesla will touch up if you ask.

When this was first reported the pictures circulating were metal being torn into teardrop shapes by ratchet straps or something. Now that’s a problem.

I have the pucks myself, but the problem can be that putting them on then makes it difficult to get the jack under an M3P, because it's quite low to start with so anything other than a very low jack can be a problem. You then have to revert to driving the car up on a block to get it higher. If you use a jack with a rubber face on the cup, I don't think a puck is needed. Where they are essential is those jacks with metal cups which will dig in around the jacking point if a puck isn't used.

I have the pucks myself, but the problem can be that putting them on then makes it difficult to get the jack under an M3P, because it's quite low to start with so anything other than a very low jack can be a problem. You then have to revert to driving the car up on a block to get it higher. If you use a jack with a rubber face on the cup, I don't think a puck is needed. Where they are essential is those jacks with metal cups which will dig in around the jacking point if a puck isn't used.

Yes, with GREAT care positioning you could get away with a rubber topped jack ... but positioning is so crucial that you would need to really get your head under there to see that the contact was good ... personally I wouldn't. Some of the pads/pucks are thinner than others, some jacks are lower than others and a ramped block is another option, as you say. I can see this would be an issue to check out for anyone with a Performance because there's not much room to play with even under an SR+.