Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worth Filing Police Report?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Runt8

May 19, 2017
Colorado
Near the end of January I was driving home and I thought I may have been hit from behind as I was coming to a stop at an intersection. I was leaning forward in my seat at the time and I had just started to accelerate, and it was such a small bump that I convinced myself it was nothing and didn't get out to check (oops). But I did press the dash cam button to save it out just in case. When I got home I checked the rear bumper and didn't see any damage, but it was very dirty. Since then we've gotten so much snow that I haven't been hand washing the car, just taking it to the self-service car wash to rinse off the road grime.

Last weekend it finally warmed up enough that I hand washed the car, and I discovered a deep circular gash in the rear bumper - it looks like I was hit with the screw head of a license plate holder. I went back through all my sentry mode videos and found that I actually was hit that day. So I have video evidence and a very clear license plate, but it's also been 1.5 months. I'm guessing based on the depth of the scratch that it would require a new bumper cover, so we're looking at around $1k in damages. Is there any point in trying to file a police report to get the other persons info and get his insurance involved? Or is it too late at this point?

Near the end of January I was driving home and I thought I may have been hit from behind as I was coming to a stop at an intersection. I was leaning forward in my seat at the time and I had just started to accelerate, and it was such a small bump that I convinced myself it was nothing and didn't get out to check (oops). But I did press the dash cam button to save it out just in case. When I got home I checked the rear bumper and didn't see any damage, but it was very dirty. Since then we've gotten so much snow that I haven't been hand washing the car, just taking it to the self-service car wash to rinse off the road grime.

Last weekend it finally warmed up enough that I hand washed the car, and I discovered a deep circular gash in the rear bumper - it looks like I was hit with the screw head of a license plate holder. I went back through all my sentry mode videos and found that I actually was hit that day. So I have video evidence and a very clear license plate, but it's also been 1.5 months. I'm guessing based on the depth of the scratch that it would require a new bumper cover, so we're looking at around $1k in damages. Is there any point in trying to file a police report to get the other persons info and get his insurance involved? Or is it too late at this point?

Even deep scratches/gouges can be fixed perfectly by a good body shop. I’ve had it done to my 3 and it is now the best looking panel on the car due to the repaint that far exceeds the Tesla quality.

you did NOT notice he bumped into you that day? going by the video it appears to be a noticeably jolt...

you did NOT notice he bumped into you that day? going by the video it appears to be a noticeably jolt...
I noticed a bump but like I said, I was leaning forward in my seat at the time and was just starting to accelerate. I think I convinced myself it was just a rock or the tires skidding on some gravel. This intersection is a two way stop that gets very busy at the end of the day, so I was concentrating on being able to get out onto the main road.

Contact your insurance company. They should assist you in locating the at fault driver. Alternatively, you can pay your own deductible, have your car fixed. Provide your insurance company with the video showing the impact. They will try to recoup from the at-fault driver. Once they get paid back for fixing your car, they'll refund your deductible. You don't need to file a police report.

• Informative
Reactions: Runt8
As everyone mentioned, contact your insurance agent. I got rear ended very recently exactly like you were while stopped at a red light. I was on autopilot sitting behind a few cars at a red light since traffic was moving really slow. The person behind me didn’t notice her foot slightly lifted from the brake and hit me. When my car nudged forward, I thought autopilot just nudged me forward for some strange reason. It wasn’t until after I opened up my reverse camera that I noticed she had hit me. I’m taking it into a Tesla certified body shop soon to get it repaired since Tesla is charging $1100 to replace the bumper and insurance doesn’t deal with them so if they offer less, the rest is going to come out of pocket.

This is why we pay insurance companies. Ask them, not us. Maybe I’m lucky or naive, but my insurance company has never led me wrong. May help that I’ve been with them 30 years with few claims, but this is what you pay them for.

I work in insurance, claims in particular. To avoid having a claim on your policy I’d recommend filing a police report to see if they will attempt to obtain the owners insurance.

There’s no harm at all in filing a police report. You were unaware of an accident until now. If they can help you get the other drivers insurance and avoid using your own, that’s a win win.

Looks minor I wouldn't file just a accident he wasn't following closely originally but you do have perfect evidence.

If it won't buff out and is noticeable I would claim it otherwise I'd just look at it as good karma and helping out someone for a minor mistake.

Reactions: M3tex
A little after thought but I wonder if you had a clear bra installed of it would have prevented paint damage as I’ve seen things like this or should I say had clients come in from minor collisions like this and the paint was saved and clear bra was sacrificed per sa?
That happened with me, the other car had the wind take their door and smash it into my car. It tore the PPF but saved the paint but there was a dent. I had the PPF removed, paintless dent remove the dent and he went around a took care of another one I didn't noticed, and new PPF installed. The other guys insurance reimbursed me what I paid for the work.

Geez. Some people really blow things out of proportion. Mountain out of a mole hill.

This is so easy. As others have reasonably pointed out, just give your insurance company the video and let them handle it. The other driver had a very minor collision with your car. Get it fixed, their insurance will pay for the repairs, and everyone will get on with their lives. The use of phrases like "fleeing the scene of a crime" or "hit and run" is silly.

Reactions: C141medic
Geez. Some people really blow things out of proportion. Mountain out of a mole hill.

This is so easy. As others have reasonably pointed out, just give your insurance company the video and let them handle it. The other driver had a very minor collision with your car. Get it fixed, their insurance will pay for the repairs, and everyone will get on with their lives. The use of phrases like "fleeing the scene of a crime" or "hit and run" is silly.
I was assuming it was a joke, but you never can tell with some people...

After starting a claim with my insurance yesterday, I got a call from them today. I sent them the video and told them I hadn’t decided if I was going to get it fixed under my policy, but preferably they could get it reimbursed from the other drivers insurance. About an hour later they sent me the other drivers insurance info and a case number, and closed my claim. So I guess the next step is to call their insurance and go from there.