Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worth it to buy imported 2012 Sig P85?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I have been looking lately to purchase a second hand Model S for a while now, as new ones are currently out of my price range. I live in Belgium

I've recently come across a relatively interesting deal to purchase a 2012 Sig P85 for around 65k€ (Might possibly negitiate a but less). It is an imported car from the US (already in the EU so no more import charges to pay), meaning that the warranty won't work here in the EU. I've checked the VIN number and nothing stands out right now.

The condition looks good. The car would also have a B pack battery, so no A pack issues or limitations. Is this possible, or do all the 2012 cars have A packs?

What do you guys think? Is the price right for this car? I know the market is different in the EU, but I wanted to hear your input.
I'm mostly hesitating in the warranty issue, as the 2012 cars might still have some issues.

Several people here have bought CPO 2012 Sigs and are very happy, so you guys might be the most knowledgeable on the matter.

Thanks in advance.

There were some 2012 cars with B packs so that is possible. All P85s supercharge. Unless some difference between US and Euro supercharging, should be fine. I have 2012 (non Sig) and it has been largely trouble free. I think you should check whether the 8 year battery and drivetrain warranties are honored. Those are the expensive parts. You need that warranty.

Guys, Model S only started selling in EU (EU Specs) in 2013. This car is 2012, so clearly a US Spec. US cars cannot utilize the EU supercharging network, due to difference in standards. Hence, NO supercharging. That car is not worth the price, in my opinion.

Edit: It's even stated in the OP: "It is an imported car from the US (already in the EU so no more import charges to pay), meaning that the warranty won't work here in the EU."

Guys, Model S only started selling in EU (EU Specs) in 2013. This car is 2012, so clearly a US Spec. US cars cannot utilize the EU supercharging network, due to difference in standards. Hence, NO supercharging. That car is not worth the price, in my opinion.

Edit: It's even stated in the OP: "It is an imported car from the US (already in the EU so no more import charges to pay), meaning that the warranty won't work here in the EU."

This is a very important point, I wasn't aware that the US cars couldn't use the EU superchargers. This throws this car off the table then, thanks for raising this.

This is a very important point, I wasn't aware that the US cars couldn't use the EU superchargers. This throws this car off the table then, thanks for raising this.

First, I'll amend my prior post. If the car is a sig, it has an A battery. Some 2012s had B, but not sigs. I've lived fine with A battery for 2.5 years, so not huge issue. Second, this is a Forum, not authoritative. any way to test the supercharging? Also, I get it that U.S. 4 year Warranty doesn't apply, but you might check with Tesla re 8 year battery and drivetrain.

also important to know your seller and be able to fully inspect and drive. Wouldn't trust internet on this one. Does internet connectivity work? I'm sure Europe a different subscription! Another possible deal killer. Why was it imported? Need more facts.

Last edited:
The sig's were released too early IMO, pushed out too fast, and weren't ready. They have a lot of "prototype parts" instead of finalized production parts. They had lots of issues (most if not all should have been addressed in service visits though). However as one pointed out above, the sigs have 'A' battery packs and are limited in supercharging rate (and who knows what else). I would never purchase one IMO.

+1

Build quality is marginal at best. (you couldn't *give* me one of these A pack cars)

That is just not true. I've got 2012 car and build quality has been excellent. Only limitation of "A" pack is supercharging peaks at 90 kW. I'm sure that incidence of build issues was higher with early cars. But that doesn't mean every one is fraught with problems.

That is just not true. I've got 2012 car and build quality has been excellent. Only limitation of "A" pack is supercharging peaks at 90 kW. I'm sure that incidence of build issues was higher with early cars. But that doesn't mean every one is fraught with problems.
Not to derail, but - I second that, and my 2012 has a B pack, the build quality is fine, in addition, (IMO), I think the quality of some of the materials used in the interior the newer cars is not quite as nice.

Not to derail, but - I second that, and my 2012 has a B pack, the build quality is fine, in addition, (IMO), I think the quality of some of the materials used in the interior the newer cars is not quite as nice.

me 3
B pack w/ better stuff than many 2013 cars

I perfer the '12 P85 over any others I have driven (never tried a +) especially with a B battery
DC-DC is in an 'odd' place but it makes the frunk that much bigger