Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worth it to order a new X after Raven update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking about buying a new X, but have heard some say that it is not worth it to buy until a new battery/ refresh comes out. Does the Raven update make it a little more 'future/ update proof' or should I wait for the next major refresh?

It's absolutely up to you and what you value, and how much disposable income you have.

I have a 2016 P90DL X, and am currently waiting on a VIN for a new Raven X LR. For us, the improved range, AP3/MCU2, and suspension were substantial upgrades to our current X.

Does the current X tick all the right boxes for you? Right now many people speculate that the X isn't a huge focus and probably won't see substantial updates outside of Plaid, but again this is all speculation. Buy it now if fulfills all your wants and needs.

Ya, there are rumors about a larger or better battery or a battery that can take up to the limit of V3 superchargers. All would be nice. But for even longer there have been rumors of an interior refresh to be more like the Model 3/Y with the horizontal screen and no dashboard gauge cluster behind the wheel. The last is the reason I went ahead and ordered the X now. The distinctive cabin of the X and Y help place it in a class above the 3/Y. Take the rumors with a grain of salt. Ya place your bet and take your chances.

Before we ordered our S 100D in January 2017, we knew V3 supercharging was coming and considered about waiting to place our order until Model S had support of V3 supercharging. And if we had done that, we would still be waiting...

There will always be changes coming "soon". Next year, we could see increased range, faster supercharging, increased acceleration, interior changes, … But that's true every year.

No matter when you buy, you're guaranteed to feel feature envy starting 12 to 24 months after purchase, because Tesla is always making improvements.

So... If the current S/X meets your needs - then buy it.

While we wish our 2017 S and 2018 X would have some of the features likely coming in the next year or two, they are still fantastic vehicles - and we don't regret purchasing either of them. And even if Tesla does make some of the rumored improvements, they probably won't be enough to change our plans to keep both vehicles until they are close to 100K miles.

You can make your decision based upon rumors, many of which are probably people's desires, or you can get a car that you can enjoy today.

Do you but a computer or wait until tomorrow for the better one.

A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush?

I ordered my MX LR at the end of September. When I made plans to order one this year, I was originally hoping for the refresh to happen so I could order the newly updated version. When that hope was dashed, I figured I could wait another year or more for them to make their next update, or just order the car I want and actually enjoy it.

I don't doubt I'll feel a twinge of regret when there is another update/refresh next year or the year after, but you need to hit that order button sooner or later if you actually want a car. I considered waiting until the end of the quarter to see if they would have any good incentives, but I'm happy to get FUSC and I know I'll get my vehicle before the tax credit expires. If you try to time it for end of quarter specials, there's no guarantee you'll make it and you may feel pressured to take a car that maybe isn't your first choice (color, options, defects, etc).

So if you buy now, you'll have some envy when the next update comes along. But that doesn't mean you'll wish you hadn't purchased it. Just be realistic in that you almost certainly would feel the same way after the next update comes around after you waited for the first one anyway.

I ordered my MX LR at the end of September. When I made plans to order one this year, I was originally hoping for the refresh to happen so I could order the newly updated version. When that hope was dashed, I figured I could wait another year or more for them to make their next update, or just order the car I want and actually enjoy it.

I don't doubt I'll feel a twinge of regret when there is another update/refresh next year or the year after, but you need to hit that order button sooner or later if you actually want a car. I considered waiting until the end of the quarter to see if they would have any good incentives, but I'm happy to get FUSC and I know I'll get my vehicle before the tax credit expires. If you try to time it for end of quarter specials, there's no guarantee you'll make it and you may feel pressured to take a car that maybe isn't your first choice (color, options, defects, etc).

So if you buy now, you'll have some envy when the next update comes along. But that doesn't mean you'll wish you hadn't purchased it. Just be realistic in that you almost certainly would feel the same way after the next update comes around after you waited for the first one anyway.

Have you received a VIN yet? I also ordered late September, still no VIN :(

• Helpful
Reactions: Obsoletion
Ordered a LR 6 seater October 7th. Was told worst case early December delivery.... sucks because we originally had the S ordered and while taking delivery in the S we decided to switch and upgrade to the X. The S was scheduled for delivery within 2 weeks of the purchase date (although they ended up finding us a match that was already built.). I just keep telling myself “patience is a virtue.”

We sold our 90D to upgrade for all the reasons listed above. Got a showroom raven model for $5k off. End of quarter free paint and wheels plus $5500 off for our powerwall award made the decision easier.

Was thinking of waiting a year for the plaid update but realized there’s a chance:

1. Plaid range might be equal or worse.
2. Cost supposedly higher
3. I suspect the S will be updated well before the X (completely guessing here).

Reactions: VikH
Have you received a VIN yet? I also ordered late September, still no VIN :(

The sales rep told me my VIN one week ago today after I noticed my account showed a delivery date (entirely possible it showed that earlier and I didn't notice because it only shows up on desktop or if I have my phone in landscape). It didn't actually show my VIN on my account page until today though. My VIN also shows up as a 2020 model if I search for it (bumped up my insurance about $5/mo from when I had them quote a 2019 model). Not sure if either of those things actually mean anything though.

Anyone know if all Raven models considered 2020 models?

We sold our 90D to upgrade for all the reasons listed above. Got a showroom raven model for $5k off. End of quarter free paint and wheels plus $5500 off for our powerwall award made the decision easier.

Was thinking of waiting a year for the plaid update but realized there’s a chance:

3. I suspect the S will be updated well before the X (completely guessing here).

What!? They told me they could do the $5k off for the power wall when I ordered my wife's model 3, looking at an X upgrade now and would like for them to apply it as they won't install in Wyoming yet.

You can make your decision based upon rumors, many of which are probably people's desires, or you can get a car that you can enjoy today.

Do you but a computer or wait until tomorrow for the better one.

Agree that rumors are most of the time just peoples desires. With so much going on at Tesla, I doubt we see a new interior/exterior update on the S/X besides possible new fenders and aprons for the supposed plaid model S next year. It's only been about 3-4 years since the X came out, and so it's still kind of early in the cycle to come out with an updated design.

The most likely scenario I see for an update after the Raven models came out would be an increase in battery size. Will that happen in 2020? 2021? 2022? Not sure. Our X is a P90DL, and we will not be upgrading until a bigger battery than the current 100 size comes out. With easy at-home charging and superchargers just around the block everywhere (where we live), a 10% difference in battery and faster MCU is not worth upgrading for us at this time.

Disagree about the comparison to computers. Computers are easy to wait for because most brands have a very predictable schedule of updated models every year pretty much to the day. Tesla, though, it's hard to know when the next update will come.

The sales rep told me my VIN one week ago today after I noticed my account showed a delivery date (entirely possible it showed that earlier and I didn't notice because it only shows up on desktop or if I have my phone in landscape). It didn't actually show my VIN on my account page until today though. My VIN also shows up as a 2020 model if I search for it (bumped up my insurance about $5/mo from when I had them quote a 2019 model). Not sure if either of those things actually mean anything though.

Anyone know if all Raven models considered 2020 models?
From what I understand by reading these forums for the past few years is that Tesla doesn't do model years. If you get your car in December '19, it's a 2019. If you get your car on January 1, 2020, it's a 2020... So I'd definitely look into that...

From what I understand by reading these forums for the past few years is that Tesla doesn't do model years. If you get your car in December '19, it's a 2019. If you get your car on January 1, 2020, it's a 2020... So I'd definitely look into that...

Yeah I tried explaining Tesla's lack of model years to the insurance agent, but they go by what the VIN pulls up. Maybe Tesla just sorts them by manufacture date, regardless of "series of updates but don't call it a refresh", but not necessarily following the calendar year. Sort of like how most other makes have their 2020 model coming out now or soon rather than next year.

I think the difference in premium came to around $80-100 for the year, so it's not a monumental difference or anything, but it still struck me as odd and a bit annoying to be paying more even though there's been no changes since the Raven update AFAIK.

$5500 off a power wall? That seems like a great deal. How much does it cost after the discount? How could I go about getting that discount?

Ya, there are rumors about a larger or better battery or a battery that can take up to the limit of V3 superchargers. All would be nice. But for even longer there have been rumors of an interior refresh to be more like the Model 3/Y with the horizontal screen and no dashboard gauge cluster behind the wheel. The last is the reason I went ahead and ordered the X now. The distinctive cabin of the X and Y help place it in a class above the 3/Y. Take the rumors with a grain of salt. Ya place your bet and take your chances.
i agree

im new to tesla but having driven the 3 and the X - the 3 is immense but seems odd compared to the X with the central cluster too.
personal preference but in my mind theres a reason car manufacturers started using digital dash and having the sat nav in the central dynamic cluster so you dont look away and then suddenly tesla are expecting Y & 3 users to look to the side to view ALL info.
i just prefer the electric car but with more regular set up for visuals