Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worth it to upgrade from LR RWD to P3D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Model 3 - LR RWD, and have been thinking about upgrading to an ‘18-‘19 P3D. I’m not concerned with the loss in efficiency range. I purchased mine just over a year ago for $44k, and should still be able to get close to that number today.

With preowned P3D’s selling for low 50’s used, just curious if anyone has made the switch and what they thought? I haven’t driven the P3D, so I’m a bit in the dark.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
You'll get a lot of different opinions on here. Performance is something that everyone rates differently, but the fact that you're looking at going down the path gives some insight into the value you assign to it.

I bought a performance and I've never driven an AWD or RWD, but I can't imagine giving it up and swapping my P for it. The P is just too much fun. If you're the type of person who values the fun of a performance vehicle and you can afford it I expect you'll be happier with a P. The difference in price is something no one can answer but you. What is $5-8k worth to you?

I have a 2018 Model 3 - LR RWD, and have been thinking about upgrading to an ‘18-‘19 P3D. I’m not concerned with the loss in efficiency range. I purchased mine just over a year ago for $44k, and should still be able to get close to that number today.

With preowned P3D’s selling for low 50’s used, just curious if anyone has made the switch and what they thought? I haven’t driven the P3D, so I’m a bit in the dark.

I was asking myself that same question with my recent purchase. Since you are RWD, there are no options to upgrade to Performance. However, you could sell your RWD and buy a used LR AWD then upgrade to Performance via the app for $2k. For me, I was able to find a used 2018 M3P+ with only 10k miles for $52K, which also has EAP, so that was a no brainer for me. What you will find out there in the used Tesla world is that not many used car dealerships or sales people know much about Teslas. Mine was advertised as a LR AWD with no mention of Performance or EAP, so I feel I got a great deal for everything I'm getting. I guess it all really comes down to how much are you wanting to spend.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I was asking myself that same question with my recent purchase. Since you are RWD, there are no options to upgrade to Performance. However, you could sell your RWD and buy a used LR AWD then upgrade to Performance via the app for $2k. For me, I was able to find a used 2018 M3P+ with only 10k miles for $52K, which also has EAP, so that was a no brainer for me. What you will find out there in the used Tesla world is that not many used car dealerships or sales people know much about Teslas. Mine was advertised as a LR AWD with no mention of Performance or EAP, so I feel I got a great deal for everything I'm getting. I guess it all really comes down to how much are you wanting to spend.
Careful how loud you announce that. Daddy could take away your extras with a couple keystrokes. :p

I rode in a RWD, it was the only time I had even sat in a Tesla...bought a Performance...cause mainly I’m a man. Man like power.

the LR RWD is IMO the best model 3 for most people. I was actually going to get one...until Tesla told me “no”. Then I had to decide between a AWD And a performance...I haz testosterone...and a need for speed...only drive one if you’re okay with swapping. The performance is actually stupid fast. It’s a great grocery getter.

I really wanted a Stealth but when I bought my LR RWD they were not available. Over the past year I’ve watched as the Stealths came to market and had to resist the urge. The difference in price between the two is not a big concern to me. But even if I get back every cent I paid for the LR RWD, I would certainly lose all of the taxes and fees, which were easily $5K. Then I would pay another $6K or so in taxes and fees on the new one.

Then the State of California would claw back my $2,500 rebate (prorated I guess) and I would not be eligible for a rebate on the new one since it’s now one per person. So ignoring any depreciation or extra costs on the Performance model, just the taxes, fees and loss of rebate would end up costing me over $13,000.

I just can’t justify spending that much in government fees to get a faster car. But I still really want one.

However, you could sell your RWD and buy a used LR AWD then upgrade to Performance via the app for $2k.
Nope. The AWD with the upgrade does not make it a Performance. First, the actual performance that the upgrade gives is about halfway between the AWD and Performance. Second, it won't have any of the components in the Performance Upgrade Package. While people have differing opinions as to the value and benefit of the PUP, it definitely another distinction.

To the OP, if you don't want to take the efficiency hit then don't do it. Because there is an efficiency hit. Personally, the difference between 322 rated miles versus 300 is meaningless to me. In my experience, it doesn't even change long distance driving in the least.

Last edited:
You'll get a lot of different opinions on here. Performance is something that everyone rates differently, but the fact that you're looking at going down the path gives some insight into the value you assign to it.

I bought a performance and I've never driven an AWD or RWD, but I can't imagine giving it up and swapping my P for it. The P is just too much fun. If you're the type of person who values the fun of a performance vehicle and you can afford it I expect you'll be happier with a P. The difference in price is something no one can answer but you. What is $5-8k worth to you?
Thanks for this! I need to find one to drive