Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worth it to upgrade from LR RWD to P3D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry looks like i'm basically saying the same thing as ElectricIAC now that i've made it to end of thread :)
Yeah. Dual motors don’t come without a price. It really makes me wonder what kind of numbers we could see out of a single motor Model X, having driven a single motor S before as a loaner it seemed to return numbers often similar to the P3D at moderate speeds.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
I have a 2018 Model 3 - LR RWD, and have been thinking about upgrading to an ‘18-‘19 P3D. I’m not concerned with the loss in efficiency range. I purchased mine just over a year ago for $44k, and should still be able to get close to that number today.

With preowned P3D’s selling for low 50’s used, just curious if anyone has made the switch and what they thought? I haven’t driven the P3D, so I’m a bit in the dark.

I wanted P-D. But First Production didn't offer it and I didn't want to wait. So I got LR-RWD. Also had to get the upgraded interior, which I didn't want. Now I love the upgraded interior and don't feel any need for P. I drove a Roadster for about seven years. I loved its performance (which is significantly slower than the P3D's performance) but that car ate tires like a seal eats fish. When I got the 3 I thought maybe I'd trade it for a P3D when that became available. Now, I've got no interest in upgrading to P. My car suits me too well to think that anything shy of Level 3 autonomy would be an improvement.

Torque is fun. I mean, like, really REALLY fun. But the crazy thing is that my LR-RWD has way more torque than almost anything else on the road. It's got all I'm ever going to need for merging and passing. But I'm 71 years old and a car is transportation. My advice: If you want a fun toy and can afford it, upgrade; if your car is transportation, save your money.

Worth it is very personal. I have a P3D and my wife has a LR RWD. Both are zippy cars but the way the P3D presses you back in your seat is unlike anything I have ever driven. It is very worth it to me.

so much so that I have a TriMotor Cybertruck reservation and will only consider a Performance Model Y.

ymmv...

While on paper yes but I have a RWD LR with 19" and a P3D with 20"s and the range difference is way more than 20 miles doing any real world driving.
I said it was more with 20s, didn’t I? And I wasn’t reporting on paper difference. I have both cars with 18s. And, my direct experience is that driven similarly in the real world, difference is 20. Of course if you go wild with the P, the difference goes up.

Here is my opinion. The performance is not fun. It's actually boring. A Miata would be considered a fun car, not a tesla. It's very fast for sure but that's it.

The driving dynamics are mediocre. The steering is numb and the suspensions actually suck. The are stiff without being sporty which is totally to be expected on a vehicle that weights over two tons.

I would suggest to stick to your model 3. A much much sensible car without false pretenses. Or look at a base model Y. That make make more sense than a M3P.

Disclosure. I owned a model 3 stealth.

Here is my opinion. The performance is not fun. It's actually boring. A Miata would be considered a fun car, not a tesla. It's very fast for sure but that's it.

The driving dynamics are mediocre. The steering is numb and the suspensions actually suck. The are stiff without being sporty which is totally to be expected on a vehicle that weights over two tons.

I would suggest to stick to your model 3. A much much sensible car without false pretenses. Or look at a base model Y. That make make more sense than a M3P.

Disclosure. I owned a model 3 stealth.
I have to give it to our 3MR in the handling department. It certainly felt more spry than the P3D of course I’ll have to try the new track mode with full rear bias to really do the comparison justice.

While on paper yes but I have a RWD LR with 19" and a P3D with 20"s and the range difference is way more than 20 miles doing any real world driving.
From some posts here (way back) I think the difference is more like 30 or 40 miles IRL. People were complaining they weren't getting even close to the EPA range in the P while people with the RWD were getting at or even more than the EPA number. Could partly be that people that drive the P tend to be lead footed. I mean after all it is a performance vehicle. I find the RWD plenty fast enough for all my needs.

It’s like the base 3 series vs the M3. That’s about the difference between a RWD vs Performance.

Not even close IMO. With a P3D, you have significantly faster acceleration, slightly better braking, and track mode for when you’re at the track. Interior is identical, exterior is identical (for the most part).

With an M3, it’s special walking up to it and drooling over the flared fenders, gaping air intake, quad tips, bulging hood, carbon fiber roof. It’s special when open the door, glowing M badges everywhere, sit inside, hands grabbing the wheel, seats grabbing hold of your body. It’s special when you start it up, loud enough to wake the whole neighborhood. It’s special when you shift into gear, step on the gas and hear the exhaust growl louder, even if you’re just cruising around at 5mph. It’s special when you slam on the brakes from 80mph for a 270-degree freeway interchange, turn the wheel and feel how insane the grip is and how finely tuned the suspension is. You get none of this in a base 3 series, or even the M340i for that matter.

The P3D is an amazing car and an amazing value, but under normal day-to-day, it’s nothing special over even an SR+. This is especially true if you’re on Autopilot every chance you get, like a lot of us are.

Not trying to downplay the value of the P3D over the 3LR and definitely not comparing the BMW to the P3D. Just countering your comparison to “BMW 3-Series vs BMW M3.”

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Not even close IMO. With a P3D, you have significantly faster acceleration, slightly better braking, and track mode for when you’re at the track. Interior is identical, exterior is identical (for the most part).

With an M3, it’s special walking up to it and drooling over the flared fenders, gaping air intake, quad tips, bulging hood, carbon fiber roof. It’s special when open the door, glowing M badges everywhere, sit inside, hands grabbing the wheel, seats grabbing hold of your body. It’s special when you start it up, loud enough to wake the whole neighborhood. It’s special when you shift into gear, step on the gas and hear the exhaust growl louder, even if you’re just cruising around at 5mph. It’s special when you slam on the brakes from 80mph for a 270-degree freeway interchange, turn the wheel and feel how insane the grip is and how finely tuned the suspension is.

The P3D is an amazing car and an amazing value, but under normal day-to-day, it’s nothing special over even an SR+. This is especially true if you’re on Autopilot every chance you get, like a lot of us are.

Not trying to downplay the value of the P3D over the 3LR. Just countering your comparison to a BMW 3-Series vs BMW M3.
Did you read the posts? This was purely in regards to acceleration. :rolleyes: