Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worth paying more for MCU2 on CPO Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the point of the matter here is perceived value vs cost. For some people 10k is a deal breaker, without question. For others, they make $120 an hour and (for charity) they post on tmc.com to tell people to be sure to spend more money so they don't make a life mistake and get a vehicle without faster rendering and sentry mode.

• Funny
Reactions: BulldogsRus
refer to above posts about how $10k MCU1 vs MCU2 is more than a single feature ;)

yeah naw, you cannot charge any model S in 30 minutes, sorry to disappoint you
You like talking in circles, don't you?

We just got back from San Francisco and several of our stops were in the 30-35min mark. Somehow your car is charging in 0-5 minutes or could it be that you like to use hyperbole to help you feel like your car is capable of SO much more given how much you paid?

The previous week were took a trip down to Scottsdale, AZ as well. In fact, we've got tens of thousands of miles in Teslas now so I have a pretty good idea what I'm talking about on time-to-charge front. The fact that your car has a MCU2 has squat to do with the charge times being different. In fact, I see that your cars are 70D and 75D in your sig... this tells me that my P85D & 90D both charge much faster than your car and my cars are "only" MCU1 so.... what was your point again?

I think the point of the matter here is perceived value vs cost. For some people 10k is a deal breaker, without question. For others, they make $120 an hour and (for charity) they post on tmc.com to tell people to be sure to spend more money so they don't make a life mistake and get a vehicle without faster rendering and sentry mode.

It really has nothing to do with what one makes or is worth so much as what they're willing to chalk up to entertainment value or a slight improvement on quality. I know people who are barely getting by that find a way to sneak a $1,500/mo Escalade or Tesla payment in. I also know people who have a net worth well into the millions that refuse to buy brand new cars & drive old clunkers. This idea that what you drive directly relates to your financial status in life is foolish and keeps a lot of people wasting money on crap they can easily do without.

Reactions: Galve2000
You like talking in circles, don't you?

We just got back from San Francisco and several of our stops were in the 30-35min mark. Somehow your car is charging in 0-5 minutes or could it be that you like to use hyperbole to help you feel like your car is capable of SO much more given how much you paid?

The previous week were took a trip down to Scottsdale, AZ as well. In fact, we've got tens of thousands of miles in Teslas now so I have a pretty good idea what I'm talking about on time-to-charge front. The fact that your car has a MCU2 has squat to do with the charge times being different. In fact, I see that your cars are 70D and 75D in your sig... this tells me that my P85D & 90D both charge much faster than your car and my cars are "only" MCU1 so.... what was your point again?

i'm talking in circles? i've been saying the MCU1 to MCU2 debate is much more than about the MCU and the overall car, which is why i said to refer to previous post so I don't have to repeat myself on those details. MCUs definitely do not have anything to do with charging speed. and that the price difference is much more than just the MCU. I dont know why you are arguing me when i'm saying the same thing as you? LOL

Also for reference, my 70D has been charges at around 40-60kw constantly from empty to full. I need to charge longer to reach next destination (50 minutes - 1 hour). My newer car still charges 90kw up until 65%+, so i'm able to get out of there in about 30-40 minutes. No one said charging in 5 minutes LOL, nice try trying to make it sound like i'm saying something silly. what was your point again?

i'm talking in circles? i've been saying the MCU1 to MCU2 debate is much more than about the MCU and the overall car, which is why i said to refer to previous post so I don't have to repeat myself on those details. MCUs definitely do not have anything to do with charging speed. and that the price difference is much more than just the MCU. I dont know why you are arguing me when i'm saying the same thing as you? LOL

Also for reference, my 70D has been charges at around 40-60kw constantly from empty to full. I need to charge longer to reach next destination (50 minutes - 1 hour). My newer car still charges 90kw up until 65%+, so i'm able to get out of there in about 30-40 minutes. No one said charging in 5 minutes LOL, nice try trying to make it sound like i'm saying something silly. what was your point again?

Orly?

damn you elon, why are you adding the idiotic sentrycams!

not that you can drive 2 cars at the same time, but if you can you'd be 4x as long at a supercharger than me.

my "MCU2" car charges much faster than my "MCU1" car, saves about 30 minutes per supercharge, and since my time is worth $120/hour, i'm basically saving $60 per charge ;)

I wonder who said that then?

Other considerations not mentioned are the duration of the warranty left on the two choices, the greater resale value of the newer car, and FSD.
It is not yet certain that FSD can be achieved with MCU1. The upgrades of the FSD computer have been ongoing for a few months now, but what has me very worried is that so far we know of no MCU1 car that has been called in for that upgrade, not even for owners who paid for FSD at purchase.
Also, a car is an asset. The extra $10K you pay for a newer car doesn't immediately vanish once you take delivery -- a portion of it will remain when you trade the car in or sell it. You'll expect to get some of that $10K back at some point.