Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worth paying more for MCU2 on CPO Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I'm in the market for a CPO Model S and wanted to ask the community their opinions of MCU1 vs MCU2. I've done the forum reading, the Youtube watching, and I test drove a Model S a couple months ago at my nearest Tesla store. What I'm seeing in Tesla's used inventory is about a $10k difference or so on the bevy of 2016s that have the features I want and the 2018s that are similarly equipped on any given model (i.e. 2016 75D vs 2018 75D).

Basically where I'm at is that I don't care about the "while parked fun features" (Netflix, games, browsing, etc.). What I do care about is navigation and car functionality while driving (cabin temp, car status, music, voice recognition, etc.).

As for the rest of the car: I don't care how many miles are on it (I only put about 6,000/yr on my current car), I really want a heated steering wheel (which means I'm looking at the subzero package for a 2016), the extra $10k is a bit of a stretch to me, but is doable, and I really want a dual motor car.

Is MCU 1 "good enough" that I won't really notice the difference too much coming from CarPlay in my current car or is it definitely with the price difference? Also, if the answer is "it depends" then does gambling on a future MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade from Tesla factor in at all (should I consider this a pipe dream or will Elon make that happen sometime in 2020)?

Thanks all!

Reactions: Jomak
I would consider a MCU1 ->2 a pipe dream that will never happen. I wish it would, but I extremely highly doubt it due to the amount of work needed or retrofitted. People have floated the price of $3-5K to do the upgrade with the parts and labor involved if it was possible so the potential price difference if you did look to do that in the future between the 2016 and 2018 would be between $5-7k. I hope that makes sense.

MCU1 is very usable for normal driving things that you listed (Nav, Music, Voice recognition, climate controls) but doesn't work for Web browsing 90+% of the time.

TL: DR. I feel that the forum consensus is that MCU1 -> 2 won't happen. Basic car functions (except web broswer) work fine on MCU1

The amount of utility you place on the features is likely different than any other consumer. Is such an upgrade worth the $10,000 price variance you see? Well, I think first of all that the $10,000 difference isn't only due to MCU1 vs MCU2, so you'd want to weigh in on any other variances. But as luck would have it, I happen to have both an MCU1 and an MCU2 Model S. My MCU1 Model S was a January 2018 car though, so it does have enough new bells and whistles to have Smart Summon, and TeslaCam, and works AutoPilot fairly well (autoparking, TACC, etc).

I also agree with you that the features of Netflix, Hulu, Caraoke, etc. are nice but seldom used. It's not often I'm just sitting in my car with it stopped and able to watch those things anyway. I will say that MCU1 runs significantly slower than MCU2 for things like map rendering, changing slacker radio stations, and changing the car settings. Not impossibly slow, just noticeably slower than MCU2. But really, how much would you pay for that? I wouldn't pay a lot, because in the end, it still works, and it works good.

My sense of the value of the utility would be in the $1K range. That is, I'd pay maybe that much more for an MCU2 car, other things being equal. As in all things of course, your mileage may vary. Good luck in your search.

Important distinction to avoid confusion: Tesla ended the CPO program nearly a year ago. What you're talking about is a used car and not a CPO which would normally denote a certain level of cosmetic inspection and refurbishment. What you're getting is a used car with a factory warranty against mechanical defects that likely hasn't even had the 70-point inspection done that they claim. It's important that you know you're buying a used car and inspect it thoroughly as any cosmetic issues are yours once you sign the paperwork. If you want them to fix anything ask before you sign paperwork and force them to put it in writing.

• Helpful
Reactions: supratachophobia
As mentioned earlier, that 10k difference is ofcourse more than just MCU1 to MCU2. If that was your only deciding factor and you don't care about all the other improvements or newer year which comes with longer warranty or less mileage, then yea its not worth $10k.

However if you add everything else that improved, I would pay that $10k because I want an overall better car. going from a 2015 to 2018 I realized so many damn things have improved, down to small details like the vanity mirror that tesla had in earlier model looked glued on and looks worst than a honda civic and had no light, now the new one feels so much more premium and finally has a light. is that worth $10k? ofcourse not, but its included in that $10k MCU1 vs MCU2 difference.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
As mentioned earlier, that 10k difference is ofcourse more than just MCU1 to MCU2. If that was your only deciding factor and you don't care about all the other improvements or newer year which comes with longer warranty or less mileage, then yea its not worth $10k.

However if you add everything else that improved, I would pay that $10k because I want an overall better car. going from a 2015 to 2018 I realized so many damn things have improved, down to small details like the vanity mirror that tesla had in earlier model looked glued on and looks worst than a honda civic and had no light, now the new one feels so much more premium and finally has a light. is that worth $10k? ofcourse not, but its included in that $10k MCU1 vs MCU2 difference.

To bring this back the point I'm constantly trying to make about improvements on paper versus how it actually affects your day to day use of the car: I've never once used a vanity mirror in any of my Model S cars so I couldn't even tell you which version I have.

Same thing about small things like a faster loading browser... I don't even use the browser in my car. Would I if it loaded faster? Probably. Is that worth anywhere near the entry cost? Hell no. Well, not IMO anyway. It's clear others think differently and as long as they're willing to pay a substantial premium for a couple of whiz-bang new features I'll keep getting killer deals on their throw-aways.

Also, $10k difference is a bit optimistic as the price difference between the MCU1 cars I bought and what it would cost to get something the same (apples to apples comparison) in a MCU2 car is usually $15k and up if all the features are the same. This is largely because you can get into a nice 2015 car for WAY less than what even the early versions of the MCU2 cars (mid-2018) still bring on the used market. Even comparing a 2016.5 if you prefer the refresh look to a two-year-newer Model is with all of the same features will usually run you about $15k or more premium and the miles might not even be all that different depending on the specific cars you're comparing.

I get some people don't care about price tag and just want the best. I just question the value added to your daily life for those of us who live in the real world and have better things to spend out money on that will actually improve our life like retirement and investments and what not.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
There is more than just the MCU2. You would be getting a newer car, and depending on how much newer, you might be getting the Raven drives and the updated suspension. The MCU1 is already obsolete and missing out on many features that it will never see.

There is more than just the MCU2. You would be getting a newer car, and depending on how much newer, you might be getting the Raven drives and the updated suspension. The MCU1 is already obsolete and missing out on many features that it will never see.
Newer but still the exact same car. No updates other than incremental things here & there.

Raven drives & updated suspension? Now you're talking $80k cars or $40k more than an MCU1 car of similar equipment. We've gone from apples to apples to apples to aardvarks.

If by "many features" you mean cuphead or whatever that stupid game is called... I'm fine.

When I batted around a used MS or a new M3, I considered the value of MCU2 since I also upgrade my phone to the latest and greatest. In the end, the MCU upgrade was not enough to sway me to a model 3. I find it only mildly annoying that the screen doesn't refresh as quickly when zooming and rendering tiles, and I wish the menus opened with a higher framerate, but overall it's not worth the big price premium alone. As others have already said, there are other differences between old and new cars, and you have to weigh their value along with the MCU (and fewer miles, and perhaps more warranty).

I would say the experience of an MCU1 car is not as terrible as the internet (especially this forum) would have you believe, but people are set off by strange things.

When I batted around a used MS or a new M3, I considered the value of MCU2 since I also upgrade my phone to the latest and greatest. In the end, the MCU upgrade was not enough to sway me to a model 3. I find it only mildly annoying that the screen doesn't refresh as quickly when zooming and rendering tiles, and I wish the menus opened with a higher framerate, but overall it's not worth the big price premium alone. As others have already said, there are other differences between old and new cars, and you have to weigh their value along with the MCU (and fewer miles, and perhaps more warranty).

I would say the experience of an MCU1 car is not as terrible as the internet (especially this forum) would have you believe, but people are set off by strange things.

Thanks @beatle this is exactly the kind of input I was looking for. And to everyone else as well. It seems like there is an advantage to the MCU2 (and not just that module, but the rest of the car too since it will be newer) but that it's not a dealbreaker for most in the used market. I too have been debating whether getting a new Model 3 might be the way to go, but after test driving an S and a 3 back to back, I'd much rather have the S. My struggle comes with the research of figuring out what else I don't get in a 2016-ish MS vs the 2019 MS I tested, with the MCU being near the top of the list. The options list has changed considerably and there is a bevy of smaller changes that don't even make the options list (like the vanity mirror lights). I'll continue to scour the forums for more tidbits, but it's nice to have a direct response to my particular question. This has been a great community experience so far, so thanks again to everyone!

I purchased a 2014 P85D recently after having essentially no real exposure to the Tesla ecosystem. I knew a bit about the MCU battles as I tried to do a least a little research before making the plunge, but I had never tested an MCU2 vs 1 til I went to take delivery on the P85D.

The MCU1 experience is not fast, but it is functional. I haven't cursed my MCU1 at all, save for when I'm supercharging and I'd like to watch something to kill some time. Then I just snag my phone.

While I greatly prefer the Model S styling (in and out) over the 3, in retrospect I have questioned if I made the best choice given the same scenario you are faced with this moment. New features vs used savings. I've only owned my S for little more than a month now so I'm not really in the right place to give you a specific nod. I've been doing some out-of-character cross-country road tripping and the range and charging speed have influenced my opinion more than originally expected. Really I think my biggest hangup right now is supercharging speed. I am jealous of the idea that a 3 is both charging at a higher rate and is more efficient. Especially given the P3D is just as quick as the P85D.

Only $40k more than the cost of a MCU1 car for the privilege to beta test whatever idiotic ideas Elon comes up with? I'd rather buy 2 Model S cars than one capable of something a little more than farts.

damn you elon, why are you adding the idiotic sentrycams!

not that you can drive 2 cars at the same time, but if you can you'd be 4x as long at a supercharger than me.

my "MCU2" car charges much faster than my "MCU1" car, saves about 30 minutes per supercharge, and since my time is worth $120/hour, i'm basically saving $60 per charge ;)

damn you elon, why are you adding the idiotic sentrycams!

not that you can drive 2 cars at the same time, but if you can you'd be 4x as long at a supercharger than me.

my "MCU2" car charges much faster than my "MCU1" car, saves about 30 minutes per supercharge, and since my time is worth $120/hour, i'm basically saving $60 per charge ;)

Sentrycam is worth $40K?

My average Supercharger stop is about 30-35min or so so I'm not really sure how you come up with the figure that your MCU2 car charges 30min faster... that's pretty impressive.

To bring this back the point I'm constantly trying to make about improvements on paper versus how it actually affects your day to day use of the car: I've never once used a vanity mirror in any of my Model S cars so I couldn't even tell you which version I have.

Same thing about small things like a faster loading browser... I don't even use the browser in my car. Would I if it loaded faster? Probably. Is that worth anywhere near the entry cost? Hell no. Well, not IMO anyway. It's clear others think differently and as long as they're willing to pay a substantial premium for a couple of whiz-bang new features I'll keep getting killer deals on their throw-aways.

Also, $10k difference is a bit optimistic as the price difference between the MCU1 cars I bought and what it would cost to get something the same (apples to apples comparison) in a MCU2 car is usually $15k and up if all the features are the same. This is largely because you can get into a nice 2015 car for WAY less than what even the early versions of the MCU2 cars (mid-2018) still bring on the used market. Even comparing a 2016.5 if you prefer the refresh look to a two-year-newer Model is with all of the same features will usually run you about $15k or more premium and the miles might not even be all that different depending on the specific cars you're comparing.

I get some people don't care about price tag and just want the best. I just question the value added to your daily life for those of us who live in the real world and have better things to spend out money on that will actually improve our life like retirement and investments and what not.
Some of us just want a reliable MCUv1 though. And one of the routes we see that happening is a reasonable upgrade to MCUv2. I'm not saying it's worth it apples to apples. But the added "features" of MCUv2 could be worth it,barely.

Some of us just want a reliable MCUv1 though. And one of the routes we see that happening is a reasonable upgrade to MCUv2. I'm not saying it's worth it apples to apples. But the added "features" of MCUv2 could be worth it,barely.
I'm not in disagreement. If the price was reasonable I'd eventually pay to upgrade my MCU1, most likely after it already failed. But the "upgrades" to me wouldn't be worth much. A grand or two maybe. The hardware cost difference between MCU1 & MCU2 shouldn't be more than a few hundred.

For me, I'm MORE than happy with my MCU1 & if it fails outside of warranty I'd probably just pay the few hundred or so it costs to replace the eMMC.