Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worth postponing order until after Fremont retool?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am supposed to take delivery of my Model Y. Now I am hearing that they are going to close down the Fremont factory to retool. Most believe the painting will be a focus of the retooling. Does it make any sense to stall/cancel order and wait for a car post-shutdown? Not even sure this is possible.

Also, what would you guys put in the "no way I am taking this home/refusal" list? I am a fairly laid back kind of guy, but some of the stuff I have seen on these boards has me a bit worried.

Take what I say with a grain of salt since all we see are the problems. However, if it was me, I would wait. As you pointed out, the paint issues - specifically the paint depth variance - isn't something that I would accept. Love the vehicle in all other aspects but the quality of construction just isn't there. Misaligned panels is one thing but seeing paint depths ranging from .4 to 4 is just madness, in my opinion. You shouldn't be able to see the e-coat underneath the paint.

In my case, I don't need a vehicle right away. I'm fine with waiting and then gauging quality after they retool the factory. Our interaction with Tesla is a bit different than what you and others experience. Trust me, I've been incredibly frustrated with them to no end. Our regional rep can attest to that. He gets the brunt of my complaints. At the end of the day though, we are seeing tangible improvements in how they operate and cooperate with us. Some of our feedback is being listened to. There have been a few encouraging signs lately. After all, whatever comes out of the factory after the retool should be better. Right? (we hope) :p

As far as a timeline...I haven't been given anything solid. I was told to expect a parts delay for up to a month. That's all.

Reactions: raggedy
I am supposed to take delivery of my Model Y. Now I am hearing that they are going to close down the Fremont factory to retool. Most believe the painting will be a focus of the retooling. Does it make any sense to stall/cancel order and wait for a car post-shutdown? Not even sure this is possible.

Also, what would you guys put in the "no way I am taking this home/refusal" list? I am a fairly laid back kind of guy, but some of the stuff I have seen on these boards has me a bit worried.

I created a thread about this already. Where did you get the information about paint being a focus point? “Most believe”.

I created a thread about this already. Where did you get the information about paint being a focus point? “Most believe”.

I was leaning on this thread and read one more article (can't find) on the same premise. Was thinking that they may be making improvements given all of the drama.

"Over the last few weeks, Tesla has also applied for several permits in order to recommission its south paint shop:

Utility infrastructure development in preparation for restoring former body paint operations."

Maybe it was hopeful reading now that I think about it :/

Reactions: OZKM3
I was leaning on this thread and read one more article (can't find) on the same premise. Was thinking that they may be making improvements given all of the drama.

"Over the last few weeks, Tesla has also applied for several permits in order to recommission its south paint shop:

Utility infrastructure development in preparation for restoring former body paint operations."

Maybe it was hopeful reading now that I think about it :/

I would love to see Tesla address the issues head on. But that ain’t gonna happen.

Elon will walk the line and tell them to do better and will end by saying “but don’t slow down. We need to ship as many as possible.”

• Funny
Reactions: raggedy
I would love to see Tesla address the issues head on. But that ain’t gonna happen.

Elon will walk the line and tell them to do better and will end by saying “but don’t slow down. We need to ship as many as possible.”

You are probably right, but geesh, fixing everything after the fact seems so damn expensive. From what I can tell, they are doing a pretty good job getting things figured out at the dealers. I am not as anal as some folks though. I am concerned about the longevity of the paint itself. Probably going to pony up for some PPF's.....but really struggling with spending even more money than I am already. I love Tesla's, but they have to figure this out sooner than later.

You are probably right, but geesh, fixing everything after the fact seems so damn expensive. From what I can tell, they are doing a pretty good job getting things figured out at the dealers. I am not as anal as some folks though. I am concerned about the longevity of the paint itself. Probably going to pony up for some PPF's.....but really struggling with spending even more money than I am already. I love Tesla's, but they have to figure this out sooner than later.

They will 6 months in to a new car is pretty early.

Do we really think the retooling will include the paint shop? Tesla has had issues with paint well before the model Y. I just don’t see that area of the plant being upgraded right now.

I think the paint is a bit of a pipe dream right now. We were told that a few body panel lines were being retooled for tighter tolerances. Long story short, us and and I'm assuming other high volume TAB shops have been fighting this battle for a while now. They send us parts, we reject them due to fitment issues, then we have issues with payment/returns/credit/etc., then we get another part which we...reject again. I'm crossing my fingers and toes that they'll at least be fixing several of the production lines that produce the most common panels. That alone would be amazing.