Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worth replacing tire? Or still safe to drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm at 6500miles, already had to replace front right tire at 4k miles due to a flat (it was in the side of the top track - deflated instantly, not due to anything - just unlucky?).

My partner hit a curb in Richmond (BC) and damaged the sidewall of the tire, but the tire didn't deflate and we were able to make it safely back to Seattle.

Money's tight due to the stock market crash and having to pay for some damage to the front right bumper area (unrelated), but that service isn't going to happen until November 7th.

I can order a tire on tire rack - but I still have two OEM tires on the car (both on drivers side).

My thoughts are:
1. Leave the tire. Should be fine? (already drove 200mi on it) -- UPDATE: Went to Les Schwab near my house. They said it was cosmetic, I'm going this route for now unless someone has a more informed suggestion.
2. Buy a new tire (not wheel) and install the OEM TPMS sensor in the new tire / old wheel (did this for the front right tire already)
A) swap the rear right tire/wheel to the front left (rotation), or
B) swap the front right tire/wheel to the back left (rotation)
3. Repair the tire? Is that possible?

I also read on this forum that someone was able to get the tire manufacturer warranty invoked. How would I do that? 🤔

Thanks in advance for all the advice. I'm new to issues with tesla - my model 3 (miss that beast) never had an issue in two years of ownership, but after taking delivery of the model y in may 2022, I'm losing faith in picking Tesla for my next vehicle (it's added up...)

Attachments

• 20221009_164006.jpg
    20221009_164006.jpg
    453.9 KB · Views: 221
  • 20221009_163938.jpg
    20221009_163938.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 125
  • 20221009_163917.jpg
    20221009_163917.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 133
  • 20221009_163912.jpg
    20221009_163912.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
...Leave the tire. Should be fine? (already drove 200mi on it) -- UPDATE: Went to Les Schwab near my house. They said it was cosmetic, I'm going this route for now unless someone has a more informed suggestion...

I am not an expert so I think Les Schwab is correct but I wouldn't take that chance. I would replace the tire as soon as possible.

It's cosmetic. That means it's only skin deep, and the air will not leak out nor will the tire suddenly deflate. Les Schwab should know, and so should you, but at least my car comes with air pressure sensors that can display the pressure in all four tires ALL THE TIME! So, if I have a leak, I immediately know about it. This is NOT a case of risking your life, as one person suggested, but a convenience. If you check your pressures when you start out every day, you will soon begin to believe that your car can tell what the pressures are.

If you have zero faith in science (that's what this is, after all) you can spring for a new tire. Or, wait! How about four new tires! You wouldn't want any mis-matched treadwear. I mean, with more tread on one tire, won't that pull your car into the ditch??

I know, I know, I'm pandering. But there are some here who really need that.

If the metal cord is not visible/damaged under that rubber peal - then it's Okay to continue to drive. If you see the metal cord - then need to replace this tire, because of the moisture the cord begins to rust, and eventually, it will be a weak spot that may result in a burst of the tire. And for extra caution, don't put this tire on the front wheels. If it explodes, you can lose control of the car if it will be in the front.

NO ONE HERE, looking at photos, can see the depth of the cut in the sidewall.
There's a reason the sidewall is a certain thickness all the way around. If this is compromised, your tire is at risk of a sidewall blowout.
If the cut were in the thick rubber "rim protection" area, I would consider it cosmetic. Since it's in that area, AND also on the sidewall, I wouldn't trust it.

However. I wouldn't trust anyone's online opinion, simply looking at photos. Let a tire expert give an opinion...and, visit more than one.

Reactions: Red Ryder 3
my New M3 came like that 2 weeks ago.same type peel tear in same spot and the edge of rim scratched. I went to Tesla service and they told me its just cosmetic. I drove 450 miles on that tire and then Tesla Service replaced the rim and tire to make it right since I got my new car this way. tire didnt lose pressure and I was going 70 mph for 260 mile round trip. these tires are $300-400 got the 19" sport so I wouldn't be in a hurry to get a new one now that I know what I know