Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worth switching to Tesla insurance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to have geico but when I got the tesla they wanted absurd money so I went with progressive and paid 6 months and got a decent discount. Now the 6 months is up and they jacked the rate. I can go with Tesla for 75-80 a month(unless they raise it based off my driving) but don't really like giving my driving habits to them for insurance. Progressive raised me to 120 or so a month if i pay in full.

So whats the consensus on the Tesla insurance?

I thought about it but didn’t like the idea of constant monitoring from an inaccurate system and the fact that they are so reliant on it that they require monthly billing since rates will fluctuate that rapidly. Decided to try Progressive’s Snapshot which also had inaccuracies but it’s a bit more predictable (wait to pick up phone for 30-60 seconds after drive ends) and only monitors you for about 6 months. Got a good discount on next renewal and the discount will persist but we’ll see how they offset it with rate changes next time since that’s an industry trend.

Anyway, my two cents having never used Tesla insurance is it just isn’t worth the hassle for, what I hear, may be a sub-par product that doesn’t, as one would think, tailor the claims process to Tesla owners’ needs.

Reactions: Blacktes24
It might all depend on where you live. Yes, we know you live on earth, but insurance rates vary based on your location. From what I've read regarding insurance on this site, Geico and Progressive don't really offer great deals. Somebody has to pay for all their ads and that's the customer. I live in MA and insure both my Model 3 and a Volvo XC 70 thru Commerce Insurance (a division of MAPFRE Insurance which I believe is based in Spain). I pay $92 and change a month for full coverage on the M3 and all but collision my ancient XC70. Someone hit my Tesla last year and did $9200 in damage. Commerce was great, giving me no hassles and paying the full costs. I'm not even sure if Tesla insurance is available yet here in MA, but I think they monitor driving habits too much for my taste.

Reactions: Blacktes24
It might all depend on where you live. Yes, we know you live on earth, but insurance rates vary based on your location. From what I've read regarding insurance on this site, Geico and Progressive don't really offer great deals. Somebody has to pay for all their ads and that's the customer. I live in MA and insure both my Model 3 and a Volvo XC 70 thru Commerce Insurance (a division of MAPFRE Insurance which I believe is based in Spain). I pay $92 and change a month for full coverage on the M3 and all but collision my ancient XC70. Someone hit my Tesla last year and did $9200 in damage. Commerce was great, giving me no hassles and paying the full costs. I'm not even sure if Tesla insurance is available yet here in MA, but I think they monitor driving habits too much for my taste.
I live in IL in small town. Geico was 300 a month. Progressive was under 100 paying in full. I agree with you guys and not really liking tesla monitoring non stop. I could look around but don't like switching all the time. Was with geico for over 10 years.

As an aside, there's another reason I would never insure with Geico, Progressive or with Liberty Mutual either: it's their commercials. They are so bad, so idiotic. Why would I buy insurance from a talking gecko, an angry emu and his idiotic side kick, or all of the Progressive idiots? I wish there was a website like rotten tomatoes, but just for rating and complaining about commercials.

Reactions: PewPew
My new 6 months policy quite popped. Woooo 240% increase! Lol!
Screenshot_20221209-162705.png

wow with tesla? thats insane on the increase with no change in score. glad i went ahead and just kept progressive I guess. I said screw it and paid the 700ish premium yesterday. Could have shopped around a bit but I don't like switching insurance much.
My actual miles driven during the insured period did exceed what I put down (~20k actually driven versus the 15k I entered) but that's like...a 33% increase, not 240%. Lol But I had dirt cheap insurance for 6 months at least!

My actual miles driven during the insured period did exceed what I put down (~20k actually driven versus the 15k I entered) but that's like...a 33% increase, not 240%. Lol But I had dirt cheap insurance for 6 months at least!
haha! I only have 2800 miles on mine in 6 months. think i estimated either 6-9k a year or 9-12k. Tesla was cheaper but I'm ok with progressive for now I guess.

Look like Elon lied to us again claiming most people would save money with Tesla Insurance. I'm starting to get very disillusioned with this company.
What's your evidence for people not saving money? Are you confused and you think the earlier post on the increase means that the new price isn't saving money? Even after he conceded that the earlier premium was dirt cheap?

My insurance went from $421/month for 3 Teslas with USAA to $256/month for comparable insurance with Tesla at the default 90 score which I hope I can improve on.

smh