Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worth trading in MS for a MX?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All,
So, been going back and fourth on this, and still havent reached a descision. My current status is; owner of 2018 MS - had it for just on a year. Baby on the way and wife talks about is this the ideal car - and if it is, since I will be primary caretaker- as long as I dont mind bending down for our future chunk.

Have the opportunity to trade in my MS100D for a MX100D 7 seater (would prefer 6).

Came up with a list - and would love some input to any of you who have either both, or had both at some time. Maybe there is something we arent thinking about?

Pro-Con
Pro-Car/Usability
  • Huge windscreen
  • Lots of room for baby seat + rear cargo + 2 doggos (golden retrievers)
  • Falcon doors - great for baby in and out - since we are both over 6ft tall
  • Higher up for older passengers - in laws etc
  • 7 seater. - but really 5seater + large cargo
  • 7 seater can also fold down a lot.
  • Comes with 2nd Gen door sensors
Con
  • Model X is bigger and less efficient than Model S
  • Lose Free supercharging (worth $150/year for our roadtips)
  • Wouldn’t be the only owner of car
  • White interior can be problematic if not taken care of?
  • Road trip to UTAH from WA (or pay $1000 in transport fees)
  • Not really leg room in 3rd seat, so not really worth a 3rd row?
  • 2 years on warranty (compared to 3 with mine)
  • Another black car :(
  • Model X may lose value once MY is released

Appreicate the insight.

My family had both at the same time.
I drove S, wife drove X six-seater.
Two car-seat children (one bucket, one front facing).
By default drove with 3rd row down with cargo mat.

FWD with car seats in middle seats, much easier to stand than bend over in S. With the six seater (and my wife being short enough), she could stand in the car when putting kids in.
Third row - fine for adults (in our case, grandparents) getting around town; wouldn't go on hundred+ mile road trip with adults in rear. I say this as a 6-seater where you could stretch a leg between 2nd row seats.
Cargo - I can only think of three times we had more in the X than would have fit in the S (buying a ladder, road trip to visit grandparents, driving back from the airport post-holidays).

But, for us, the "style" of car we drove was the deciding factor. I drove a Malibu prior so S was ideal. Wife drove Rav4 prior so X was ideal.

We have had a couple of Model S, and my wife traded one for an X (which, 2.5 years later, she still kind of regrets). It is a complicated decision. I usually try to make it simpler this way:

The S has several advantages, but if nothing else it is cheaper. (Especially in your case, where you already have it). Given that, consider the S the "default" option. Only go for the X if it has some advantage that you need.

You have a good handle on this already, but the main advantages of the Model X over the S as I see them are:

1. Bigger. But not really that much; just taller - and given the higher floor, it's not that much inside. It does offer 2 extra seats, if you need those.
2. Taller, so easier ingress/egress. (This was why my wife went from S to X, because she had to drive her elderly 6'4" 300+lb father around)
3. Towing
4. You like the cool extras like the big windshield, automatic front doors, or falcon wing doors

As you note, the X being taller will help if you are putting a baby in the car. And with the dogs, the extra space, while not huge, could make a difference too. I can definitely see why you are considering it.

Just keep in mind that when you give up the S, you give up a car that is better looking, quicker, more efficient (so cheaper to operate and charges faster), more reliable, and has better range (and in your case, has free supercharging). Our X works well for us and really helps when my father-in-law rides with us; I think switching was the right decision for our situation. But if she didn't have to drive her father, my wife would prefer to have her old S back. Probably...she does admit the extra space, larger windshield and better seats (although she came from a 2012 S, so maybe the seats are the same now) make road trips a tiny bit nicer in the X.

HERE is a thread where I detailed more differences between the cars.

It's not a slam-dunk either way. They are both great cars, but there are clear trade-offs. Good luck.

Last edited:
I have family and kids and I am 6 foot.

I hate the B-pillar in the Model S, as it makes me squeeze in and out. I developed right hip pain after having a Model S loaner for a week. Several of my friends who are over 5'8" complain of the same thing.

Getting kids in and out of an S is a chore. Picking up the kids stuff and moving them in and out is a chore.

In my X, getting everything in and out is not bad. Kids' seats, toys, sports equipment, my gold clubs... Getting in and out is comfortable and easy. B-pillar is not an issue.

Best, is hauling capacity. I brought 3 Ikea outdoor tables and 14 chairs home, (but I have a 5 seater with tonnes of rear stowage capacity.)

The BEST option I got was the 5 seater. Are you sure you need 6 or 7? It will affect stowage capacity AFAIK.

I would get the "X", IMHO. Mileage suffers BUT everything else is an improvement. If I were you I would also consider a "Y".

I just traded in MODS for MODX. Haven't take delivery yet. Both are MY2019 except the MODX is Raven model with production 12/2019. I love my MODS but I'm a golfer with a large battery powered walking cart that I use. I've always had SUV's and prefer the utility of the ease of packing my golf stuff in the back without having to put down seats. I got the 5 seater. I'll have more of an update once I receive it.

We have both in our family and I am happy to share our experience to help in your choice. I think the S is more attractive and definitely way more fun to drive. And space-wise (as you already know), it can actually hold quite a bit of stuff if you lay the back seats down. We’ve loved our S and it now has over 135k miles (including lots of road trips) over the six years we’ve owned it.

I have never enjoyed driving suvs in the past and was surprised with how much I like driving the X. It’s pretty quick and also has good handling for its size. But more importantly, it does all the functions I need to do throughout the week for work and business. I load it up constantly and make tons of short and long distance trips and I’m never tired or worn out. It’s just very comfortable. And the extras: automatic doors, large windshield, etc. are small things I have really enjoyed with every drive. My wife thinks our X is ugly and looks like a large egg, so she drives the S. But I love the X and couldn’t be happier. We also go to it first for all family trips (grocery runs to road trips). Super reliable also.

IMO the X is a great daily driver and I don’t think you would regret the choice.

We started out with an MS mostly because our ride in an MX 7seat demo scared us off because of its size, looking back at all of the head rests, it felt and looked like a bus. Besides the MS was beautiful. Eighteen months later and with a toddler, we were feeling that the low slung S was not as practical. Ease of ingress and egress and driving visibility in traffic were becoming a bother. Our van was preferred by my wife for driving visibility, more ground clearance and higher sitting position.

We decided to give the MX another look. Just as has been previously noted by other posters, we were taken by the X's higher seating, much better forward visibility and really easy accommodation for a toddler or stove up relatives. What we did order is the five seat version. We traded our S for an X.

We like to travel to the SW for visiting and painting. Traveling in an MX is an unmatched experience. So it looks a bit like an "egg" but we are looking out when in it. Short of a pickup, the interior storage, especially in the 5 seat version, is tremendous. Electron economy does suffer a bit but we just hold our cruise speed down a touch. And we sold our van.

Reactions: Jubess
I've been in your position and I decided to take the plunge into the X world since it was something new. Compared to most of you 6'+ people, I feel like baby Yoda driving the X. I do like sitting up high, so this is one aspect that I enjoy versus driving sedans.

My only true gripe with the X is it's inefficiency. When it's cold, good luck getting half of the projected range. I expected some inefficiency, but jeez, this curvy girl has a ton of mass to move and it certainly shows in the cold.

Reactions: Pismo
I have family and kids and I am 6 foot.

I hate the B-pillar in the Model S, as it makes me squeeze in and out. I developed right hip pain after having a Model S loaner for a week. Several of my friends who are over 5'8" complain of the same thing.

Getting kids in and out of an S is a chore. Picking up the kids stuff and moving them in and out is a chore.

In my X, getting everything in and out is not bad. Kids' seats, toys, sports equipment, my gold clubs... Getting in and out is comfortable and easy. B-pillar is not an issue.

Best, is hauling capacity. I brought 3 Ikea outdoor tables and 14 chairs home, (but I have a 5 seater with tonnes of rear stowage capacity.)

The BEST option I got was the 5 seater. Are you sure you need 6 or 7? It will affect stowage capacity AFAIK.

I would get the "X", IMHO. Mileage suffers BUT everything else is an improvement. If I were you I would also consider a "Y".

You basically get the same "cargo" area in 7 seat with 3rd row folded down as the 5 seat. It's that you get a much larger lower trunk in the 5 seat. Basically double of what's in the 7 seat. I don't even fully use up what's in the 7 seat under the floor.

But what you gain on the 7 seater (and 6) is a larger AC and 2nd Zone for the rear. There are a few threads on that topic.
The same AC cools the battery. Some have had issues when crossing say a desert with the 5 seat because the AC prioritizes the battery. Some have said even second row seat can be uncomfortable on hot days. The larger AC is the only reason I got the 7 Seater. I have 2 dogs we keep in the back. I have never unfolded the 3rd row.

One plus of the 5 seat lower trunk is, you can fit a full size spare under the floor.

• Informative
Reactions: TOBASH
Thanks all, I ended up jumping the plunge.
2017 Black Model X 100D
12/2017 - Delivery 6/2018
24,000m miles
EAP
White Interior
2.0 MX Door Sensors
7 Seater
Premium upgrade package
20" Black slipstream / (22" Black ONYX) at home
Carbon Fibre Decor
Black Headliner
Subzero/Ultra HiFi/Smart Air/72amp charger
Warranty till 6/22 - 55,000 miles.

Bought this, after a great trade in offer. Bascially a neutral switch from my MS.

d968e62ce2463eca392063415ce9913a.jpg

19d60d5a4ed872567fce223e637bdd1e.jpg

4bba6bbd74f5fb8d018e16f4d520dd4f.jpg

Nice grab. Congrats. Very similar to the MODX I just grabbed. I got a 2020 Long Range DEMO out of Arizona with 2K miles. Black with premium white interior. My delivery date is Thursday. I'm getting Black rims and tires from TSPORTLINE installed Friday and XPEL stealth wrap with ceramic coating. I'll post pics when it's done.

An update for you all.
  • Wife loves this car 10x more than the S
  • Dogs love the rear AC
  • WIng doors have been amazing for errands
  • The white interior is much better than I origonally thought (looks and maintenance)
  • Range sits around 340-350 on a normal day with 20s.
  • The car is much more of a cruiser, and comfier than I thought the S was
  • Insurance dropped quite a bit
  • I dislike other windshields now
  • Noticed Yellow border on this one,which is expected at 2yr old MCU1
So overall, a great few weeks and I appreciate the help and guidance and will keep you in the loop.
Thanks!

An update for you all.
  • Wife loves this car 10x more than the S
  • Dogs love the rear AC
  • WIng doors have been amazing for errands
  • The white interior is much better than I origonally thought (looks and maintenance)
  • Range sits around 340-350 on a normal day with 20s.
  • The car is much more of a cruiser, and comfier than I thought the S was
  • Insurance dropped quite a bit
  • I dislike other windshields now
  • Noticed Yellow border on this one,which is expected at 2yr old MCU1
So overall, a great few weeks and I appreciate the help and guidance and will keep you in the loop.
Thanks!

We made the same move and we couldn't be happier. Granted it was a 2013 MS so Tesla in general has made vast improvements since then but as you stated. The ride is so much better, FWD's are a game changer, white interior is so much nicer than and surprisingly easy to maintain and clean. I would make the same recommendation to anyone on the fence.

Congrats on the new vehicle!

Reactions: KBaoBao
Thanks all, I ended up jumping the plunge.
2017 Black Model X 100D
12/2017 - Delivery 6/2018
24,000m miles
EAP
White Interior
2.0 MX Door Sensors
7 Seater
Premium upgrade package
20" Black slipstream / (22" Black ONYX) at home
Carbon Fibre Decor
Black Headliner
Subzero/Ultra HiFi/Smart Air/72amp charger
Warranty till 6/22 - 55,000 miles.

Bought this, after a great trade in offer. Bascially a neutral switch from my MS.

d968e62ce2463eca392063415ce9913a.jpg

19d60d5a4ed872567fce223e637bdd1e.jpg

4bba6bbd74f5fb8d018e16f4d520dd4f.jpg

Congrats on the upgrade! Waiting for a refresh for the X too, early adopter P3D owner here. How's the ownership experience in the Seattle area?

We have both in our family and I am happy to share our experience to help in your choice. I think the S is more attractive and definitely way more fun to drive. And space-wise (as you already know), it can actually hold quite a bit of stuff if you lay the back seats down. We’ve loved our S and it now has over 135k miles (including lots of road trips) over the six years we’ve owned it.

I have never enjoyed driving suvs in the past and was surprised with how much I like driving the X. It’s pretty quick and also has good handling for its size. But more importantly, it does all the functions I need to do throughout the week for work and business. I load it up constantly and make tons of short and long distance trips and I’m never tired or worn out. It’s just very comfortable. And the extras: automatic doors, large windshield, etc. are small things I have really enjoyed with every drive. My wife thinks our X is ugly and looks like a large egg, so she drives the S. But I love the X and couldn’t be happier. We also go to it first for all family trips (grocery runs to road trips). Super reliable also.

IMO the X is a great daily driver and I don’t think you would regret the choice.

Currently have a Raven S and am on the fence whether to trade it for an X. Initially wanted an X but pre-Ravens had terrible ride quality and, like above, I have never been a fan of SUVs.

I have read every S vs X thread in the forum, as well as 6 vs 7 seater. Most threads talk about 6 seater being great for kids but what about once the kids are older, is the car seat advantage a moot point?

We always take “my” car on weekends and for trips because I honestly love to drive. Thus, I ask a lot out of my car and expect it to meet all our travel and storage needs. The S has been great and I love the style, ride, and handling. But the X beckons with FWD and ability to tow.

Another member helped me finalize the 6 vs 7 seat conundrum. Definitely a 7 seater for us for fold-flat feature and ability to recline back more comfortably on trips. The 5-seater is out due to lack of rear AC since we plan to carry a Labrador retriever. Six seater seems great if you have babies, which we’re past that stage, but 6-seater also has less cargo space than the S and would be like taking a step backwards for us.

For those that went from S to X, are you still happy with the move? Anything about the X that makes you miss the S (other than maybe range)?

Reactions: DIL
The lease on my 2018 model S is ending in March. I ordered a model X on January 10, and I’m expecting to hit the refresh jackpot. We are a family of five with the dog and although I loved my model S no one wanted to ride in it for a trip of any length. They’d rather jump in the minivan and stretch out. So for that reason I’m really looking forward to the model X and the increased functionality. And some giant road trips!

Currently have a Raven S and am on the fence whether to trade it for an X. Initially wanted an X but pre-Ravens had terrible ride quality and, like above, I have never been a fan of SUVs.

I have read every S vs X thread in the forum, as well as 6 vs 7 seater. Most threads talk about 6 seater being great for kids but what about once the kids are older, is the car seat advantage a moot point?

We always take “my” car on weekends and for trips because I honestly love to drive. Thus, I ask a lot out of my car and expect it to meet all our travel and storage needs. The S has been great and I love the style, ride, and handling. But the X beckons with FWD and ability to tow.

Another member helped me finalize the 6 vs 7 seat conundrum. Definitely a 7 seater for us for fold-flat feature and ability to recline back more comfortably on trips. The 5-seater is out due to lack of rear AC since we plan to carry a Labrador retriever. Six seater seems great if you have babies, which we’re past that stage, but 6-seater also has less cargo space than the S and would be like taking a step backwards for us.

For those that went from S to X, are you still happy with the move? Anything about the X that makes you miss the S (other than maybe range)?

We've had our X now for a little bit of time, now approaching 63k miles and with lots of road trips and tons of daily usage under our belt. I still love driving our X and it's my preferred daily driver. And the X remains a very practical car for our family; last spring, I loaded 22 large bags of mulch inside with the fold-down seat to take care of our garden.

As a daily driver and general family car, it's been perfect for our family. There are times when I yearn for something low and sporty to drive again and I've entertained the idea of picking up a smaller sports car for fun driving, but I'm hesitant to buy another gas car. Not sure yet what I wish to do. But absolutely no regrets on picking up this SUV. Hope this helps!

Reactions: FatherTo1
The lease on my 2018 model S is ending in March. I ordered a model X on January 10, and I’m expecting to hit the refresh jackpot. We are a family of five with the dog and although I loved my model S no one wanted to ride in it for a trip of any length. They’d rather jump in the minivan and stretch out. So for that reason I’m really looking forward to the model X and the increased functionality. And some giant road trips!

Exactly what happened to us. In Sep 2020, we traded in model S for X. Since then we've had a 900+ mile trip, a 300 mile trip and taken fam of 5 (w/ dog) and 4 bikes around quite a bit. Absolutely great decision for any fam that likes the outdoors/taking road trips. Would also recommend a hitch mount luggage rack (aluminum). Works great to free up space in the X.

• Informative
Reactions: DIL and FatherTo1