Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worth upgrading 2022 MS LR to 2022 Plaid or not

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably no surprise to some but I pulled the trigger and bought a Plaid. It wasn't the one was I originally leaning towards. I found one closer to home and was to leverage my other offer. Almost identical config but the addition of nicely tinted windows and after-market 21’s with what looked to be an almost new set of tires.

The wheels are Signature wheels and the offset gives it more of a flush fitment. On the way home I had to take some back roads as the highway was just bumper to bumper. The roads are definitely some of the worse ones in my area. I was pleasantly surprised to say the car rode a lot better than I thought it would given how bad the roads were.

I was still on the fence about buying the Plaid. I had called Tesla yesterday and the rep got back to me as I wanted another trade-in offer since my old one had expired. I thought I would compare again vs new to see if it made any sense.

I have to see, that is what pushed me to jump on the deal I was already working. My car is immaculate and pretty low miles. Tesla hit my trade at ~52-57k. I almost fell out of my chair. Looking at a similar but new, 2023 Plaid, w/21’s, and all in, I’d be looking at a trade difference of about 60k. WTFH? The trade difference for one of the used ones I was looking at seemed like a bargain now.

Dropping the 20k isn’t going to make a dent in my finances and my family already has nice vacations. If I felt in some way they would suffer for this expense, I wouldn’t even think about doing it.

Initial impressions vs my MS LR:

I don’t know why but this car feels a lot tauter when I am driving it. I suspect it is the tire/rim combo. It doesn’t feel as nimble at initial turn in compared to my car, but feel a lot more surefooted and planted. Even with all the extra power, it squats a lot less under acceleration than mind did

While almost everything seems better about it, however, has the damn rear seat rattle. I’ll have to take a look at it. I never heard it in mine but reading enough about it here, I instantly knew what it was.

As expected, the launch is a lot more like I was looking for. It is even more obvious to me Tesla is limiting the launch of the MS LR. The part that was unexpected was how close the LR felt to the Plaid in the 60-100 range.

This really seems to be the LR’s forte. While the Plaid is quicker than the LR, it isn’t a OMFG this is so much quicker at least by the seat of the pants dyno. Off the line the Plaid definitely fun even without hitting it hard.

I got back late and I definitely noticed the difference in the lights. I think the old style (non-matrix) are brighter in some parts of the beam but it is a lot less consistent across the entire beam pattern. So more of some intense hot spots rather than more even illumination. That can be handy at times but overall I think I’ll like the matrix lights better but again they are still nerfed with respect to what they could do.

Overall it was definitely worth the money. If I am being honest, the LR does hold its own quite well in acceleration when on a roll. The other improvements from the updates are a big contributor to the added value.

Definitely glad I dropped the money and got the one with the Signature wheels.

I’ll probably write up sort of a comparison when I have more time in the Plaid vs the LR. I think my initial takeaway is I was originally right in the the Plaid wasn’t worth 50k more to me. In this instance, it definitely was worth the 20k. I got all the Plaid benefits, less miles, more warranty, some nice updates and Signature wheels.

I figured out the model of the Signature and they are the SV303S. Which is a nice 2-piece forged wheel and looks great on the car. For me that was a screaming deal and I dumped my LR before the massive price depreciation has trickled through the market. It was apparent the Plaid’s recent depreciation was already baked into the price.

For reference, I tracked all the sites I checked with to wholesale my car. Some major players won’t even touch a Tesla now because of all the price shenanigans.

If you plan on selling your MS LR, now is the time to do it. Get it on Facebook Marketplace, Autotrader, etc. The offers I got for my MS LR wholesale were less than I got for my Model Y a year ago!

Thanks for all the feedback. It was helpful. Definitely glad I went down this road.

Glad to see you finally upgraded. I think the false 0-60 claims from tesla bugged you a lot.

As for the differences in acceleration, you may be experiencing traction control or reduced power. 130 vs 152 trap is massive. Not a lot of people on here talk about it but there’s definitely times my when plaid doesn’t put down all it has. Its very insidious and nothing like you’d experience in a ICE vehicle. I find the plaid is a different animal in hot weather vs cold. Probably mainly due to differences in tire performance vs temperature.

Rear tail lights are a huge upgrade over the 21s imo. The older ones looked terribly outdated.

Reactions: DayTrippin
I get the impact of the trap speeds. Definitely showing some HP there. Just the midrange acceleration of the MS LR is no joke. The way I look at it is Tesla nerfs the launch, uncorks it in the midrange, and how knows for sure what they do up top. But by getting off to such a slow start, the LR is already handicapped.

In the mid range it feels a lot closer than I thought it would. No chance to stretch its legs yet but definitely worth the upgrade.

Yes, you are spot on that it annoyed me so damn much I spent 20k to get rid myself of the frustration of the MS LR not meeting its time. I put over 100 runs on my car 0-60 and never once got the claimed times. I think the closest I ever got was 3.33 vs the claimed 3.1. On a few test runs an MYP beat me to 60. That should NEVER happen.

I learned to never run an M3P. They quite often run better than their claimed times. The first one I ever ran with a Dragy on board ran a 3.05 0-60 on a 90% charge. Keep in mind that the times are not rated the same way by Tesla. They quote the M3P times with rollout and no rollout for the MS LR. So on paper the MS LR should have easily beat the M3P. Not in the real world. The quickest stock time for an M3P vs the MS LR tested the same way puts the M3P about 3 tenths quicker than the MS LR. That was something that just frustrated me beyond belief.

So glad to put that in my rearview!

Reactions: Deaf Paul
how much to trade my plaid to one with new tail lights and HW4?
Might be cheaper than you think right now. It would be like doing a backdoor Roth conversion when your assets are down. ;)

By the time they get HW4 sorted out (more cameras), and the software finally updated to take advantage of it, there will like be something better out anyway. So for me USS>HW4. USS worked well on my cars and the loss is obvious. Too many blindspots with the cameras.

Reactions: CDrury
Yes! Performance bargain of the century.

If the MS LR ran closer to what it actually should have, it would be a harder choice between the 2. But when you have a car already running 3 seconds 0-60, and can knock of an entire second, that is a phenomenal upgrade in performance for about 25k. The track mode is a nice bonus if you do take your car to the track. I don't care about the pedals, trunk lid spoiler, and other tack-ons.

I do think they could have done more to differentiate the Plaid from the LR. At the current price delta, I wouldn't even consider the LR. The same applies to the M3 LR vs M3P.

Reactions: Propofoln

If the MS LR ran closer to what it actually should have, it would be a harder choice between the 2. But when you have a car already running 3 seconds 0-60, and can knock of an entire second, that is a phenomenal upgrade in performance for about 25k. The track mode is a nice bonus if you do take your car to the track. I don't care about the pedals, trunk lid spoiler, and other tack-ons.

I do think they could have done more to differentiate the Plaid from the LR. At the current price delta, I wouldn't even consider the LR. The same applies to the M3 LR vs M3P.

Agree. Plaid is worth it. Can’t you take it off plaid mode (3 motors) and hit The next level down (sport maybe?) which only uses 2 motors to feel the difference?

Get the S plaid, 21.5k cant even buy the 3rd motor, last i saw to replace 1 carbon sleeved rotor + motor cost around 25+k (i might be wrong or the price is way different nowadays not too sure) regardless, exclusive plaid mode is really worth every penny imo. Many thinks that plaid is a party trick or 1 trick pony, with some upgrades on control arms, it handles pretty good and i cant wait to get the track package and try it out. At the end, its the experience, and daily with the plaid is surprisingly practical, shaving couple of mins here and there going places is priceless.

Glad this worked out for you. My response to your original question would have been no. My Plaid has about 7500k on the odometer and increasingly I find that I'm driving the speed limit or only a little over it. The acceleration is thrilling, but at the end of the day, few places in my local area where I can really stretch it out and even fewer where doing so doesn't risk a night in jail. But beyond that, there's just very little real thrill in it at this point. I know when the next guy rolls up to me that there's no competition - no point. Porches and other exotics slow down when they see me because they know there's no competition. All the rattling, particularly from the passenger-side rear seat and the center console storage area are starting to drive me nuts too. I'm reminded that I could have gotten most of what I have in the Plaid for $20k less in the MSLR...

Do you all think the carbon wrapped rotors and better brakes plus TorqueV/tri motor equals $21.5?

Get the S plaid, 21.5k cant even buy the 3rd motor, last i saw to replace 1 carbon sleeved rotor + motor cost around 25+k (i might be wrong or the price is way different nowadays not too sure) regardless, exclusive plaid mode is really worth every penny imo. Many thinks that plaid is a party trick or 1 trick pony, with some upgrades on control arms, it handles pretty good and i cant wait to get the track package and try it out. At the end, its the experience, and daily with the plaid is surprisingly practical, shaving couple of mins here and there going places is priceless.
It's all arbitrary. The price difference for the Plaid in the Model X is $3,500. (Normal X comes with 5 seats, if you option the 6 seats for $6,500 it's only $3500 more for the Plaid which already comes with 6 seats.)

Glad this worked out for you. My response to your original question would have been no. My Plaid has about 7500k on the odometer and increasingly I find that I'm driving the speed limit or only a little over it. The acceleration is thrilling, but at the end of the day, few places in my local area where I can really stretch it out and even fewer where doing so doesn't risk a night in jail. But beyond that, there's just very little real thrill in it at this point. I know when the next guy rolls up to me that there's no competition - no point. Porches and other exotics slow down when they see me because they know there's no competition. All the rattling, particularly from the passenger-side rear seat and the center console storage area are starting to drive me nuts too. I'm reminded that I could have gotten most of what I have in the Plaid for $20k less in the MSLR...

It was a $30K difference when I bought my LR at the end of 2022, and I would be kicking myself every day if I had paid that difference. No one wants to race my LR either, and launching it already freaks out passengers that one launch is enough for them.

Reactions: dmurphy
It was a $30K difference when I bought my LR at the end of 2022, and I would be kicking myself every day if I had paid that difference. No one wants to race my LR either, and launching it already freaks out passengers that one launch is enough for them.

Sounds like you aren’t the target audience for the Plaid. I enjoy mine everyday and always Punch it. Smile on my face is worth the difference

Reactions: shrfu31 and oktane