Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worthless internet browser?

Do you use the internet browser on a regular basis?

• No

Votes: 128 78.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 36 22.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not having a smart phone, it is sometimes useful for me personally. Which is to say, it's better than nothing, but even then just barely, and really only for us outliers. The only real serious use for me is checking for incoming flights while waiting in the cell phone lot (irony) at the airport, and I'm really waiting for a call anyway. Occasionally at a red light I'll use it to look up a nearby interesting car, even though the light usually changes before I get any info. I think my passenger has looked up song lyrics we couldn't understand. Checking "open hours" of potential restaurants. That's all I can think of.

Ha! He is to busy having campfires on his gigaroof or wearing santa unicorn shirts. I do hope for an update, because its a bit sad to have an unusable function in the car so quickly. It makes me feel like I'm driving any other older model car that doesn't have updates. Old maps, cassette tapes, 8-tracks.

It is such a shame. How could it possibly be so bad? My car is a month old, and it will not fully load any one page. I get it, plug-ins are dangerous and can be used to hack. But I feel like those brains at Tesla could come up with a way for us to load our gmail calendars, etc.

It is such a shame. How could it possibly be so bad? My car is a month old,

Your car is a month old, but the browser is at least 5 years old, if not older.

Tesla could come up with a way for us to load our gmail calendars, etc.

They did! You can bluetooth sync your calendar to the car. No browser required. THAT works like a charm.

Browser is perfectly fine.

Works well for me.
My bookmarks include.

1. Weather.

2. Ontario wind power generation 10 hour prediction (I choose which day I charge nearly full depending on amount of available excess wind power).

3. Plugshare (the specific Tesla version)

4. Waze (see thread elsewhere on this site, SUPER useful, works perfectly)

5. Weather alerts (more specific than weather, goes straight to alert page)

6. Twitter feed with #tesla tag search

7. CBC mobile news

The list goes on.
Sure, major sites with ads and overbuilt javascript don't run so hot, but I avoid those on my phone let alone in my car.

A prospective owner tried to use the browser to configure her car. Browser choked barely midway through the Design Studio. That was the end of her interest. People are skittish enough about EVs. Poor/outdated implementations don't help.

I expect nothing out of a web browser except it would be nice if it could manage the company's own car purchasing tools.

Now, the apologists will suggest that the Design Studio should have a simpler version. These people probably still run lynx because it saves processing power.

Has anyone confirmed that the Design Studio is usable from end to end in a Model 3?

One would hope.

Reactions: Swift and kavyboy
Which website do you use for weather?

Browser is perfectly fine.

Works well for me.
My bookmarks include.

1. Weather.

2. Ontario wind power generation 10 hour prediction (I choose which day I charge nearly full depending on amount of available excess wind power).

3. Plugshare (the specific Tesla version)

4. Waze (see thread elsewhere on this site, SUPER useful, works perfectly)

5. Weather alerts (more specific than weather, goes straight to alert page)

6. Twitter feed with #tesla tag search

7. CBC mobile news

The list goes on.
Sure, major sites with ads and overbuilt javascript don't run so hot, but I avoid those on my phone let alone in my car.[/QUOTE