TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Worthy dual charger

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by joywalker, Jul 24, 2015.

1. joywalker

joywalker Member

I paid HK$17x00 for the dual charger installation before delivery.
    It was steep, but it is worthy every time you charge on a 32A.
    It is even more important if you don't have charging access at home. No one would like to spend 4 hours in a carpark charging their vehicle!

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I'm not in Hong Kong, but agree completely. Best option I've bought for my car. I never need it at home, but take advantage of it nearly everywhere I charge away from home.

3. joywalker

joywalker Member

100%
    Yeah, I rather have this dual charger option than the 21" rim (what a waste of money, and constantly worry about scratching them ).

4. linkster

linkster Member

#4 linkster, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    +1

I just wish the TMC electrical Titan from :cool: Colorado had "edumacated" :confused: me at time of configure in '12, so we wouldn't have had to drop $3,600 :cursing: after delivery. :biggrin:

5. lx3h

lx3h Charged.hk TSLA Grp Rep

Dual charger is good if you don't have supercharger enabled, or you don't want to wait at the superchargers which can range from 10-20min of waiting at peak hours. I don't mind waiting, so I don't need it.

6. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

It's only $2000 now, so lucky you! Tesla Accessories and Charging Adapters Dual Charger with Installation

In all the visits to my Plugshare, none have had dual chargers. They (and I) wish they did. ;)

7. gubes

gubes Member

In my view, dual chargers only make sense if : 1) Do not have access to an overnight charger at your home or work; AND/OR 2) You are located far away from a supercharger. If you are not that price sensitive and like the convenience, that's another thing too.

I am fortunate to have a charger installed at my home carpark which charges at a rate of 40-45km/h - i.e fully charges overnight and live close to Cyberport where they have many superchargers. Therefore for me, it really didn't make sense.

8. theregistrar

theregistrar Member

I'm staying somewhere near cyberport as well and plan to just use the supercharger there. Is there any free parking for just going there to use the supercharger?

9. gubes

gubes Member

You have to pay for parking. However, you can get a few hours free if you spend a certain amount there - i.e movie tickets or if you go to the supermarket there to buy groceries.

10. theregistrar

theregistrar Member

Thanks man - so I guess it's not like the 2 hours free at Hopwell in Wan Chai.

11. Phil K

Phil K Member

I charge at Cyberport and usually go to supermarket while car is charging. It's easy to spend $100 for 1 free hour.

12. theregistrar

theregistrar Member

$100 for one free hour sounds ok - can it be spent on food as well?
    And how much does parking per hour cost there?

13. joywalker

joywalker Member

I believe you get two hours free parking in the mall attached to tsuen wan panda hotel, if I am not mistaken.
    That is owned by Hopewell group too, I suppose. Not tried yet, will like to do that soon.

14. jsiu

jsiu Member

May be this question was asked before. In most of the government public car park, there are some medium speed 32A chargers. With the installation of the option Dual Charger, will the charging speed be improved? It seems to me that the max power delivery is restricted by the current delivered i.e. 220 x 32 = 7 KW per hour. Is my understanding correct? Could any of you enlighten me?

15. lx3h

lx3h Charged.hk TSLA Grp Rep

joywalker, this will help: Best Tesla Model S-friendly Car Park Map | Charged Hong Kong