Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would 235/40/20 fit on p3d?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This will work however I do not recommened it. I just did this and ended up going back to oem tires.
There are only a few options when going to a 245. I went with a goodyear all season tire and the road noise was terrible.
After 200 miles I returned the tires (ride guarntee) and went back to my oem Michelin 4s. The oem tires are also an acoustic tire and have a foam insert on the inside of them to combat road noise and it DOES WORK!!!. Due to cars having no motor or transmission all you hear is the tires. All Tesla OEM tires have this in the tire for that specific reason.

I would advise against changing obviously, this is why Tesla TO tires are more money. Now if someone out there made a acoustic foam inserts you could epoxy into the tire then would be worth it. Seems easily done with the proper foam material and backing.

Protecting the rim more important to me than speed accuracy.
Softer ride would be a plus and this tire is much cheaper than the OEM 4s.
Did anyone install this ($120) Wheel Bands kit ? or this ($49) Wheel Bands kit ?

Are they really strong enough to protect the rims?

Tesla-21-wheel-install-components_large.jpg

61B8Eqbz9pL._SL1000_large.jpg
61BQg8h94_L._SL1000_large.jpg

I keep on wondering about 235/40 though. The extra sidewall seems like a big benefit
It won't fit on the front because of the suspension arm. You'll need to wait for Mountain Pass Performance or Unplugged Performance to release their adjustable camber arms for the front. Supposedly the UP solution allows you to put in a bigger wheel. No details known yet about MPP, but they will release info by end of this month. They are more active on the Tesla Owners Online forum.

245/35R20 and 255/35R20 will both fit.
People have had mixed experiences with 255/35R20. Clearance is too tight for comfort for most. Also the type of tire and depth of tread can impact ability to fit. The same people on reddit saying how great their 255/35R20 fit later report (if you check comment history) how they'd go 245/35R20 on the next round. I wish the fit for 255 was better so I could go wider on the 20" rim with reasonable side wall. I'm looking forward to aftermarket front suspension arms from UP and MPP.

You'll get 3.5mm more sidewall with a 245 vs a 235/35 tire. Is that enough? :)

I haven't made up my mind but so far leaning towards a 255/35R20 using the Pilot 4S. The Pilot 4S is an amazing tire--I've never had a tire hold up past 13K miles and mine still have ample tread to get me to 20K.

You'll get 3.5mm more sidewall with a 245 vs a 235/35 tire. Is that enough? :)

I haven't made up my mind but so far leaning towards a 255/35R20 using the Pilot 4S. The Pilot 4S is an amazing tire--I've never had a tire hold up past 13K miles and mine still have ample tread to get me to 20K.
No it's definitely not enough lol. The weight capacity of the tire is far less than my rim (~1600 lbs per tire versus ~2200 for rim). I don't know what the stock is but if I had to guess it's probably around 1600 lbs as well. But the weight capacity of the 245 PS4S versus 235 is an extra 100lbs. I'd go 255 if it fit better. I'd go 40 series if it fit. I'd go acoustic if it was in 245 width, but I can get a light variant of the 4S and would rather have width than silence. Please report back your findings with 255 because I'd follow suit if it's not a hairy fit.

Last edited:
Sweet. Long time no see. Sorry for being salty tonight. I get my monoblock forged UP-02 wheels from Unplugged Performance soon. So I'll be able to report back my 245/35R20 adventures.